Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Hunting Season

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Hunting Season

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 am

Lehros Takes off his cloak to avoid looking like a frostling, its shoddy furs could be misconstrued by the wolf. humans have poor vision fool

he nods to Saeldur <adhnel> "like a ghost"

he looks to his bow, the words pour from his lips, trying to seem brave and the protector, but its easy for the wise elf to see, Lehros is nervous. <common> "stay near, frostlings are about"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 am

"I'll stay close," Saeldur replies. "But you know only too well that I'm not very quiet. I may ruin your quiet approach."

"Still," he smiles, "I'll do my best."
Cast Mage Armor, just in case.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:54 pm

The pair creap up, picking their way through the docile elk herd that lingers eating in the plains. When the pair are halfway through the herd there is a horn blast from behind them to the north. The elks begin to spook!

Looking backwards the two spot a black mass of creatures pouring in over the hills and down into the plains! The Frostlings have followed you. As good as Lehros is as covering his own tracks, he just wasn't good enough to hide both of you. The Snow Goblins and Arctic Orcs have trailed you for days, always just out of reach, but finally they have caught up with you. They will take their revenge for the death of their sentires on who they figure did it -- The Wolf Tribe. The herd spooks, there is nothing Saeldur or Frost Moon can do to stop it. In a split seconds hundreds of massive elk are stampeeding east. Its all Saeldur can do to not be crushed under the heavy hooves of the massive deer. Lehros is buffeted on all sides, crushed between the animals just as badly as Saeldur is. Forced west, the pair are battered and bloodied, unable to escape the stampede, unable to aid or warn the Wolf Tribe about the Frostling Horde sweeping down on them.

The two are crushed, trampled, and battered as they are forced east by the herd, an opening, perhaps to escape opens up, while someplace back at the Wolf Camp a battle rages between men and Frostlings.
Ref Saves: DC 18
Lehros "1" & 15 Failure = 6 Dmg Total (Good Dmg Rolls) @ 15/21
Saeldur 20 Success 1/2 & 13 Failure = 5 Dmg Total (Also Good Dmg Rolls) @ 20/25
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:50 pm

God damn it those Frostlings are persistent!
"<Adhel> Go!" Saeldur shouts, jumping for the opening and ready to try and drag Lehros if he seems about to miss it. "We need to get to the Wolf Tribe!"
Let me know if we get a moment between stampede and Wolf Clan camp. (They can't be camping right next to the elk because of the obvious danger of stampede.) I have an idea for a warning. (That is, assuming that the horn blast from the north wasn't warning enough!)

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Lehros Bursts into action, sprinting with all his might to the opening, his fight or flight instinct kicks in, and flight persuades him by the raw numbers of the elk battering him.

He looks over his shoulder to his companion; loosing Saeldur now would be a great loss to the boy.
wow that hurts! Attempt to bridge the gap and escape the stampede. If i get out before Saeldur, Lehros will yell/shout to help widen the gap to help saeldurs escape.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

The two men go for the gap, both tampled as they do. The half tone beasts are brutal to deal with in this situation and both Saeldur and Lehros are crushed and bruised as they finally make their escapes. Staggering up onto a low flat hunk of ice, the Sylvanhel and Half Valanhel have a moment of rest. Looking toward the Wolf camp, still a bit off, they can see the shape of something huge and icy moving around to flank the eastern side of the camp, something that is no Snow Goblin, but its unlikely they can reach the camp in time to warn them of the dangers.
Last Check

Lehros 8
Saeldur 16

Both Fail -4Hps Each

The camp is a ways out there, several hundred yards.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm

What possibly possessed us to walk through a huge herd of elk rather than around them? I remember the warnings I got when I went to Yellowstone. ;-)
Saeldur pulls to a halt once they're free of the stampede. "We should be safe from that direction for a bit," he says, "no one's going to brave that mess." He glances back at the spooked beasts. "But we gave to warn the Wolf Tribe. Get out your bow."

Assuming that Lehros complies

The wizard then speaks a very brief enchantment and the tip of the ranger's arrow is covered in a cold flame. Arc it up and aim near the dark shape," he says. "The Wolf tribe should see the arrow as it rises, and follow it to where it falls. If you can hit that thing, so much the better. But if you at least get close, the tribesmen should get their warning."
Cast Light on the arrow.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Lehros Nods, He didn't come all this way just to watch his new family die.
He taps his hip pocket,
He draws back his bow with all his might, he aims the illuminated arrow at a perfect 45 degree angle. His body aches, the recent wounds speak loudly.

He looks to the creature far away, takes his time, never has he attempted such a shot... not since he was very young. He pauses a moment, memories flood his mind...

He shakes his head violently concentrate fool

Lehros returns his composure and the boy lets loose his arrow.
dumb luck, fire at the shape, cross fingers and toes, say some hail marys, salt over the shoulder'¦ etc..

Please... family

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm

The arrow lights with the cold blue fire of Saeldur, and Lehros pulls back on the bow holding it as long as he can and then he fires. The distance is great, but as the arrow arcs into the air both men watch as the massive shape sudden falls to the ground. The arrow lands, short, but close enough to get the message across. The din of battle at the northern side of the camp echoes in the night air.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 pm

"Now let's run," Saeldur says urgently. "They'll need our help defending the camp."
head to the camp at flank speed.