Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: The Wolf Pack

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: The Wolf Pack

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:02 am

Saeldur nods. The Wolf boys were angry at their recent loss, resentful of their father's absence, and suspicious of an elf walking into their midst. None of that was surprising. He had hoped that the legends of Kylorin would have carried a little more weight in the Wolf tribe. From stories Kylorin had told, the Wolf tribe owed him a great debt - possibly its very existence. But he knew all too well how easy it was to focus inward too much and not pay enough attention to the outside world. It was a failing of his own people, a trap Saeldur knew he too might have fallen into had it not been for Kylorin's guidance.

"Of course," he replies to Jeger at last. "Lehros and I have walked through the Frostling lands already to get here. And I expect we will walk a great deal more before this matter ends. The path to the main wolf encampment is just the next step on our journey."

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 am

The half elf is distraught. This is not how he imagined it would be, perhaps a homecoming, perhaps a warm embrace. But no, these brothers barley acknowledge him, his excitement wanes'¦ he tightens his scarf, and hood, hiding the mark the best he can.

His shoulders Stoop, his eyes lower, he gathers his gear and prepares for travel again, looking again like the boy that lives in the wild, coming to the human camps for trade.
was my father so terrible?

He walks towards Jager, squats down his elbows on his knees, and looks to the hunt master.

He takes a deep breath, swallows the large lump of stale air in his throat. He looks to his young half brother, afraid of his retaliation; he looks towards Jagers face, hoping to achieve eye contact.

'œI'm sorry for your loss'

He looks to the poor hunt master, afraid to look up.
He rubs the silk nervously

Xeorsos
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Xeorsos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:38 am

Trejune tightens the clothing around his body, cinching up his cloak and brushing the hair from his face.

"Keep step, you two. Our tribe is just to the north." He instructs, and begins walking north towards the horizon dotted with tiny campfires.

After a few moments, he pauses, and turns back to Saeldur. "It's not that we won't help... or that we don't want to. Our tribe owes him a debt, at least in some small fashion, I suppose. ...but the men and women of the Wolf Tribe are our family, and to call on us by right of blood is unfair." He pauses, and looks to Jeger, "After we reach the tribe, we'll accompany you to meet the mage- not as his children, but as representatives of the Wolf tribe." He turns his head back to Saeldur, and then to the scrawny half-elf, "Understood?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:57 am

"There's no need to get worked up into a huff about this," Saeldur replies. "And there's no need to be condescending. Lehros and I made our way safely through the Frostling lands without any help. I'm sure we can manage a couple of hundred yards to the main campsite of your clan."

"As for the rest, I also don't think we've done anything to deserve your contempt. I understand that you've suffered a loss tonight. And I am sorry for that loss. But it was not our fault."

"You asked me what I was doing here, and I told you. You pressed me for more information, and I gave you what additional details I could. But it was you and Jeger who put words in my mouth. Neither I nor your half-brother have called on you to abandon your tribe, nor have we laid claim to any sort of right of blood based on your father's relation to you. We told you of our mission, no more. It was always my intention to speak to your clan leaders about this. It's just that fortune brought us to meet you first. And when you asked, I saw no reason to keep the truth from you."

"As for Kylorin," he continues. You do owe him a debt. We all do. And not in any 'small fashion' either. Were it not for him, both men and elves would have lost their way, and the gods know what would have become of the world. It probably would be overrun by the Frostlings and all our peoples dead. Kylorin has worked tirelessly since before Winter fell to protect the people of this world. And as far as I know, he's still trying."

"So yes, I think I understand." He looks both Wolf clan members in the eye. "But you need to understand as well. Kylorin's motives are beyond the clans, beyond the motives of my people, beyond the politics of men and elves. He works to fight the enemy of us all. And in doing so, he has worked with men, elves,and dwarves without prejudice."

He pauses and his countenance softens. "In the years that I've known him," he continues in a calmer tone, "Klyorin has never asked anyone to be less than they are. I'm a sylvanhel elf, Lehros a half-elf, you two Wolf clansmen. It's what we are and it's what makes us strong. He'd never try and take that away from us, and he'd never try and get us to give it up. But he will ask us to be more than we are. He'll ask us to look past our old ways of thinking and our old prejudices to rise to the task set before us. And if we can't do that, then I'm not sure what hope the world has."

I know the intention is to have Trejune and Jeger be a bit headstrong. But there's only so much pummeling about the head and shoulders that Saeldur is going to take without giving some sort fo rebuke.

Xeorsos
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Xeorsos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 am

Trejune furrows his brow and cocks his head. He looks between the two, and then to his bother, Jeger.

"I apologize," he says finally, "I'm sure your intentions are honest. The harshes of winter leave little room for men weak of heart, and tonight has been very... trying. Let's get to the rest of our clansmen."
Hey, no worries! This is RP fodder, and I'm having fun with it. :D

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:42 pm

The four speak as they walk, and Saeldur the self proclaimed Sylvanhel Elf (one of which hasn't been seen by any Wolf in generations!) does not allow himself to be bullied by the Wolf. Strength is a trait that is paramount of this tribe of the Amurites, and showing it as he has, perhaps has earned him a bit more respect than he first had.

The rest of the camp arrives only a few minutes into the walk...

The scene is grizzly, the entire northern camp is descimated, out of a dozens of tents only one or two remain intact. Dead bodies lie scattered all across the frozen ground, both men and Frostling. Dozens of Arctic Orcs and scores of Snow Goblins are strewn all about, their black blood staining the white churned snow. Atleast a dozen men are dead, and at least that many more are wounded. Healers move in and out among the wounded, and you can make out Nujik helping the wounded and checking the dead to see if any of them are still alive.

A lanky woman in thick white furs turns from her work and strides up to the arriving four, "What further news from the south?" She is Yasmin, a priestest of the Wolf Tribe, and well respected among the men of the tribe. Her white furs are bloodied, and her quiver on her back holds only three arrows, the rest are in the bodies of the dead Frostlings. The moaning of the wounded makes for an uncomfortable background music. Crackling fires push back the night as best as they can, but until morning comes, the dangers of the night and of the Frostlings still lingers.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Lehros looks to the dead'¦ looks to the wounded. His cheeks turn pink, the hot human blood coming to the surface of his white snow elf skin.

Damn these frostlings!

The boy is no healer, but he is drawn to help the humans, to see them in pain like this reminds him of that day'¦ His hand finds the silk.

He pulls his white hood over his face, tightens his scarf around his cheeks, doing his best to hide the mark.

The half elf drops his pack, and gathers some clean unmarked snow, he finds a small container in the carnage that once was a camp. He looks and listens, keeping Saeldur within earshot, and keeping an eye on the outskirts of the camp.

The boy melts the snow in a nearby fire, bringing it to a boil. He takes a small container of hoarwine he keeps for cooking with some meats and pours the contents into the water. He then retrieves some 2 small vials from his pack, and a small piece of bark.

One contains ground Kleproot, a spice used to spice bland meats, and as a preservative for making spicy jerky, by the human tribes to the north. It is known for its spicy heat and ability to heat the sinuses.

The other vial contains needles from the heryl bush. These needles have a minty flavor and are often used in desserts, teas, and baking treats for children.

The small piece of wood is plakewood. The bark of plakewood is known for creating a bland sweetness. Generally it is soaked in water and chewed on for a tasty way to exercise the teeth.

He places a small amount of kleproot and heryl bush needles into a small piece of cloth he keeps in his pack. He wraps it tightly and drops it into the boiling water. Lehros then takes the Plakewood and drops it in as well.

Once more into his pack he pulls a small vial of melt powder and frostbite salve. One small sprinkle of the melt powder and a drop of the frostbite salve find their way into the boiling water. Lehros takes a deep breath breathing in the steam, he smiles.

The young half elf dips a small twig into the boiling concoction stirs it a bit and gives it a taste'¦

He coughs lightly gasping for air, wheezing, his eyes water and his nose starts to run.

perfect!
basically he is making a spicy tea, it has no medicinal use, but warms the chest on a cold day. I figure the equivalent of kianne pepper, brandy, wasabi and mint. Possibly tastes like sweet gasoline on fire. If you would like to role on my alchemy skill feel free. However you once said I could role play his cooking abilities so I'm taking that opportunity!
Lehros makes his rounds in the camp, offering the hot drink to the wounded and the battle worn. He is no doctor, but perhaps a hot drink might calm them from the cold, as it has him in the past.

After the tea is gone, the half elf helps move the dead frosting bodies to the side of the camp. He knows better than to even touch the fallen members of the wolf, he wouldn't want to offend their traditions for the dead.
Lehros will take a 10 on listen to take in as much knowledge from the tribe as he can, he will keep near to Saeldur however.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Lehros turns to the only way he knows he can help, cooking. He makes up a spicy tea that would almost wake the dead. The heat of the tea is cut only by the slight sweat mint in it. With it made up nice and hot he begins to move around offering the tea to those wounded that will take it, always illicting a cough and a hearty nod but a pass on a second drink.
This is an excellent example of some great flavor RP. No check needed with such a nice decription of the work.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:38 pm

"Good lady," Saeldur says to Yasmin with a bow. "My name is Saeldur Finloss. And this," he gestures at the ranger, "is Lehros. We were sent here by the Arch-Mage Kylorin on a mission of some urgency." He looks around at the dead and dying and turns back. "But that can wait until morning. Right now, we are at your disposal to aid in the defense of the camp. I have some magic I can use, and both my friend and I can see quite well in the dark. We would be happy to serve as sentries and aid in the defense of the camp should the Frostlings attack again."

"I can also offer some respite from the night's cold for the most badly injured," he offers. "If you can tell me where the injured are being cared for, I'll see to it immediately."

Xeorsos
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Xeorsos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 pm

"Our damage..." Trejune sputters, startled. He rushes ahead of the rest of them into the belly of the camp.
Trejune will make rounds of the camp, offering aid and assistance in the form of Cure spells and Heal checks.