Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: The Wolf Pack

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: The Wolf Pack

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Yasmin nods to Saeldur, "Any aid you can offer Saeldur Finloss, the wounded taken there among the tents." She quickly puts everyone to use, each of your using your best tallents to help the wounded, or to clean the camp and to stand guard throughout the night.

Eventually, after what seems like days, the morning arrives with a red dawn. The air is bitter cold and the ground is frozen in pools of crimson covered with frost. The dead that were not moved, mostly the Frostlings, are frozen to the earth. Smoke rises from many fires and many yurts while the sentires shiver under the cold of the morning. The children of Kyorin are exhausted, tired from their efforts and completed faituged from all their hard work. Yet through it, they have saved perhaps four men that might not have otherwise had lived, and surely any of the wounded left out over night would have died of their wounds and exposure.

The four find themselves inside one of the largest yurts, a fire burning in the middle, and Yasmin with them. She has taken over for the time being, the Huntmaster's death discovered in the middle of the night, the news given by the brothers Trejune and Jeger. The woman is passing around a bowl of poridge, scooping its hot contents into smaller bowls for everyone to eat. "What a night, but the Wolf will survived." She offers a meek smile to anyone looking at her. To chance the subject of the battle the night before she looks to Saeldur and Lehros, "You said you had important news, I would hear it now if you care to speak it."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

heyyon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by heyyon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Before Saeldur can speak, Jeger announces the news. Like the brash youth he sometimes is, he leaves his opinions right out for the world to judge.

"He brings word from Kylorin." His father's name is spoken with loads of sarcasm. Jeger, as yet, has not warmed to the idea of this man suddenly calling on him. Still, his eagerness to play crier for Saeldur's news hints at this interest in the potential adventure to follow.

He looks toward Saeldur, passing the conversation to him after having stolen it away in the first place.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Lehros, one foot out the door, looks to Yasmin and the porridge'¦ He has done his best to stay to the outskirts, yes he has helped, but always weary of where everyone is, what they are doing'¦ who Is examining the 'œmark'. Now the porridge is calling him, he always had a weakness for human food, and here, a hot bowl of delicious porridge beckons him.

Looking in all directions with extreme paranoia, the smell of the porridge allows his bravery to grow, he stalks his prey, his eye on the bowl, he finds himself creeping towards Yasmin his hands near the prize, he can smell it, and soon it will be his'¦

He jumps and takes two steps to the door as Jagers voice booms, his nervous energy getting the best of him. His hand dives into the pocket'¦ rubbing the silk.

Again he eyes his prey'¦ on the prowl Lehros advances...
this prey will be his.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 pm

"Yes," Saeldur replies with a stern look at Jeger. "I bring word from Kylorin." Unlike the young Wolf hunter, Saeldur's tone speaks only respect when he mentions the Arch-Mage. He holds his gaze on the impetuous youth for a moment and then looks back to Yasmin "I am one of his apprentices, and he has sent me to gather his children for an important task. I wish I could say more about it, but I may not. The fewer people who know, the smaller the chance of Kylorin's enemies discovering the truth of it."

"But as I understand," he adds, "the task is of paramount importance to us all. And it's rare enough that the Arch-Mage asks for help. How can we help but give it to him when he does?" He gives the priestess a questioning look.

"And so I would beg your leave to take Trejune and Jeger with me. There are still some others I have yet to gather." Once more he gives a respectful bow to Yasmin. "But only if they wish to go," he hastily adds, glancing at the two young men. "As epic as the task before us may be, and as much as we'll need all the help we can, we can't afford to have anyone with us who is not fully committed."

He gives a more sympathetic look at Jeger. "I know your father hasn't been here for you. And I imagine that must hurt. But please know that he's had good reasons for being absent. There are tasks that only he can do, and enemies that only he can fight. But now we've reached a point where he can't do it all on his own and he needs your help. He's reaching out to you. Please don't turn away from him."

Xeorsos
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Xeorsos » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Trejune's eyes follow something that obviously isn't there. He smiles a bit, and then looks to Saeldur. "I'll go. I cannot speak for my brother," he says, looking to Jeger, "His will is as strong as his fist, but he knows what is right."
If it's the start of a new day, Trejune will have retrieved different spells. Is this the case?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:02 am

Yasmin puts her hand up to Jeger when he speaks as such, "Enough Jeger, we all know we own the Arch Mage more than we can repay him. Without him we would be no better than the Frostlings, lost in the snow, barbaric and wild. I spoke to the spirits last night and they have revealed to me that the Sylvanhel would speak true. Saeldur is an agent of the Arch Mage, and he calls on Kylorin's kindred, the Wolf fully support anything you might need Saeldur, including Trejune and Jeger, Kylorin's sons." She nods pleased at Trejune, "Your father gave you life, and has asked of nothing for you in return. Now you will repay him the debt." She looks at Jeger, waiting for him to say more.
While it is another day, you have not had time to rest, and so regain no spells. Unless you don't need rest, I forget how it is for your class.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

heyyon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by heyyon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Jeger sighs. "If my father..." His voice waivers. "If Trejune is going, I'll have to stay at my brother's side." He stares down his kin, silently pleading for him to bail him out of this awkward moment.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 pm

"My lady," Saeldur says respectfully, "you have my thanks. I fear this task will be difficult, and we will need as many of Kylorin's children as we can to achieve it.

Then, turning to Jeger, he adds, "and thank you for being willing to come to your father's aid. This may well be the most important thing you do in your life. And while it will be dangerous, it will also be a chance for you to win much glory."

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Lehros eats his porrige, slowly tasting each bite These humans can really cook

The boy is pleased, His brothers now in compliance with the only friend he has ever had.

His mind wanders perhaps we can call each other brother someday

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Yasmin nods to Saeldur, "We are Wolf, it is our duty to protect the other Amurite tribes, even if they don't realize it. Trejune and Jeger are strong lads, they will make their father, and all Wolf proud. Anything you need, that we have to give, is at your disposal. For now, if you will excuse me, there is still much work to do today." She stands and moves to the entrance of the yurt before stopping, "Will you be leaving today?"