Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Tip of the Iceberg

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Tip of the Iceberg

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Winter has plagued man for the last three hundred and fifty years with no end in sight. Civilizations have fallen, and hope of summer has long since even been a dream. Along the eastern coasts of the continent lives the Seal Tribe of the Amurite people. These hardy folks are semi nomadic moving up and down the coasts hunting seals, walrus and even whales at times.

Currently in their southern villages and camps the Seal have been trading with the Bear who live up in the mountains just west of the coast. These trading events are good for both people and ever since Kylorin came the ties between the Bear and the Seal have grown stronger each season.

Tonight however is a sad night, for the lamenting of the women can be heard near the icy shores of the village. It has just been discovered that Old Ik'ta, one of the elders of the village, has offered of his life to the sea unburdening his family of his advanced age. The man has climbed out onto a piece of ice and cut it loose, sailing out into the fridge waters to be taken up by Danalin the Thoughtful and god of water.

The village is slowly gathering, woman mourning the loss, and warriors taking up their harpoons to stand on the shore in homage. Among the gathered is the Skald woman Vibrika. Her sisters mingle with the mourners as someone calls for a song in honor of Ik'ta. The night sky is overcast and a slight snow falls from it filling the sky with its tiny little stars. The men on the shore breath hot, causing fog to rise from their mouths, like so many little ghosts. A few walrus oil lamps burn to light the shore.

Welcome to the game Connie! Sorry it took so long. Please go ahead and post in, no one else should post here unless directed too.
Last edited by Vardaen on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Tip of the Iceberg

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:37 am

Vibrika always mourns at these events, though she knows the atmosphere is usually one of celebration of the life being left behind. She watches her sister with her betrothed, her mothering nature not for a moment put aside despite her sisters age. Her youngest sister stays near her father, having started to take Vibrika's place as hostess in her step-father's house. It is hoped that Vibrika will begin a household shortly of her own.

When asked to perform a song for the man going out to see, Vibrika nods and begins to think of a song in his honor. She moves to the center of those watching the ice float away and begins to softly sing,

"All suns must set, all days turn to night
Mourn not the loss of love
Time must pass, memories strong.

I have gone away
Till we meet again

Tomorrow dawns bright, no shadows to mar the day
My oath fulfilled
I go to where you can not follow

I have gone away
Till we meet again

Soon shall you follow
when the light fades from your day
Till then I wait for you
Where the night meets the day."
We will find this f-ing troll, and kill it's f-ing ass.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 pm

The gathered villagers grow hushed as Vibrika starts to sing. Her voice is clear and the song is mournful. A traditional song it pleases the elders and young of the tribe alike. Her words are soothing, and the mood while somber, remains positive. For a while the ice flow can just barely still be seen, but then it fades into the darkness. One by one people begin to turn around and return to their igloos. Vibrika's youngest sister slips from her father and comes to stand before Vibrika. The young woman looks very much like her mother used to at this age. With a different father however, the two girls have some obvious bloodline differences. "Have you heard dear sister? The Bear will be coming for trade soon."
Take 10 = 16. Nice Song
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Vibrika finishes her song and begins to bid everyone farewell for the evening. She smiles fondly at her littlest sister, pride always swells when she sees what fine women her sisters have turned out to be. "The bear? They must need their wine again" she remarks a smile on her face and in her voice. Many times her step father hosts the bear while they trade, and she has met some members of their tribe.

She slings an arm across her sister's shoulders and begins walking with her back to the chieftain. "We should head home and prepare for the Bears' arrival. I feel certain there is much to be done and he will want to host something special for them." The he is clearly the chieftain and the man who helped raise her. She moves easily and gracefully across the ice to meet with her family. She smiles to Hreka and her fiance, "What do you think of a traditional farewell?" she is asking conversationally and to also learn the burial rites of the Wolf if he feels like telling her.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 pm

The little sister smiles, "I hear they are coming for the Hoarwine as well." She laughs alittle knowing how easy the making of the wine is, but the secrets are well kept by the Seal Brewmasters and no one outside the tribe knows of it.

Walking over to the rest of the family there is a quick round of greetings and the Wolf warrior, Fenrir, nods slowly at the Skald woman. "Your voice is excellent. You are an honor to your family." He glances out to sea, "Your traditons are not that much different than ours. When a hunter is to weak to keep up with the pack, they go off into the wilds alone. Most will attack a Frostling camp unarmed to prove their courage in facing death. We are not that different the Wolf and Seal." Fenrir is a tall man, handsome for his people, but missing two teeth near the front. The man lost them in a a fist fight with Vibrika's father when he first asked to marry her sister. The fight was swift, but honorable, and in the end he won the right to propose marriage, not that it was certain Hreka would accept, but she has, dispite his missing teeth.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Vibrika smiles at the similarities between the two. She will be happy she thinks, her worst fear having been homesickness. "A very noble custom."she acknowledges while nodding. Looking to her sister, she can tell Fenrir will make her very happy. He is noble and kind, even offering to help their father find husbands for the youngest and oldest in her family. She politely declined, choosing to make her own way and only marry when she met a person she would be an equal to. It's my horrible temper she thinks as she walks with her family, conversing lightly on the upcoming nuptials and the subsequent move.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 pm

The Wolf agrees, "When my grandfather left his pack, he was forced to do so twice. The first Frostling den he encountered he defeated barehadedly, and so returned to us for a short while and then left again not to return."

The family is moving back toward the igloo, the Seal often use the ice to build homes, and here in this village is no difference. Vibrika's step father has much to do so he doesn't join them, hugging his daughters before heading off to speak to others about the up coming traders from the Bear. This leaves the daughters and Fenrir to pile into the home, a large structure easily able to accomodate a few more people comfortably still. Hreka produces a seal bladder full of Hoarwine, "Shall we?", the middle daughter offers.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:54 pm

"Indeed. We have had a good year so far and have much to celebrate." she says including her future brother in the "good" section. She moves to grab some pickled fish to eat while they are having their wine.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:48 pm

The wine is passed around, and soone Vibrika has some pickled herring out and is sharing it. The family seems happy and comfortable tonight. It is already late, darkness is out side, the mourning for the old man started an hour ago in the dusk. Soon it will be midnight, but for the moment its a joyfull time.

Fenrir makes some odd faces as he eats the fish, this is where the tribes differ greatly -- food. He hasn't gotten used to the taste of the Seal Tribe's pickled fish. "After these Bear arrive, and your have done your duty, I was hoping you would all accompany me and your sister back to our lands. I know the trip is a bit dangerous, but my family is eager to see you all again." He looks at Vibrika, "My older brother espcially." The hint is obvious.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Vibrika smiles at the invitation. "I will of course travel with you both. I am most excited to meet your sister and mother again." She purposefully leaves out the mention of his brother as she is not interested in him. Truth to tell they are passable friends, but she feels nothing for Fenrir's brother.

She looks to Shika before continuing, "I'm sure you are looking forward to testing out your wings, without me flapping around. Aren't you?" As the tribes' head hostess, any time she leaves she must post a replacement who is capable and kind to hold the special events that might be needed in her absence.