Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Tip of the Iceberg

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Tip of the Iceberg

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:48 pm

"Indeed. Do you have someone at home? Waiting for you to fulfill your goals before settling down?" She caught his look and the cover, might as well ask about it.

Besides, if he's got someone, she can just let the old biddies talk about that for a while.. and leave her out of it...
We will find this f-ing troll, and kill it's f-ing ass.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 am

"Telani, who is Great Roar's daughter. She is...comely, and many of the men in the village look at her with interest. A new-made warrior with little more than what he can carry is not yet a match for her." Her fickle heart, her keen interest in gifts, go unsaid. Living among the Seal has shown Flint Striker that perhaps there is more to a girl than her face and her woman's endowments. But even so, what a face! What endowments!

"But you must have suitors. I have seen the way the men of the tribe glance at you. Why do you spurn them?" Flint Striker has heard stories of the Teachers of Women, their strange ways and mysteries. Perhaps Vibrika, with her strange gifts, is like them.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:09 am

Vibrika reads what is not said of the woman who he desires, "Perhaps women need more than to be gifted with fine things and ample praise."

She thinks about his question for a moment before answering, "Because I would like love and respect. As it is, most of the Seal would rather have my face or figure or hostess abilities than me as a person. So i spurn them. There is one amoung the Wolf as well, Hreke's new brother- who has hopes. But he is not for me. He is likeable enough, but no love between us. So he is spurned as well."

She smiles at the end then realizes she could be thought shallow for this. "Tis not that I treat them unfairly. They all know that I am looking for something more substantial than trophy from my mate."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 pm

"But how else is a man to show his regard? Love is a thing which grows, and respect is earned by deeds; how can these be gained without a lifetime already passed?" Flint Striker's tone is not antagonistic; he shows genuine confusion. "A warrior's wealth and victories speak to his prowess, his valor, his strength. What other means could win a heart of man or mate?"

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 pm

"Conversation? A genuine capatability of thoughts? Attraction on both sides? All of these would make a good relationship." Her tone is honest and also confused. "Am I the only one to think that would be possible? Perhaps others wish to be things and trophies.. .but not I. " She falls quiet, not sure what else to say. Her feelings make sense to her, but it's clear they don't make much sense to him- and maybe others.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

"Why would a foolish woman be attractive? A man may be strong but slow of thought; it falls to women to teach and judge. And why would a woman consent to a man she does not favor?"

Suddenly Flint breaks down into laughter. "I worry that we are describing a mammoth by touch. Our ideas are not dissimilar, I think; life among our peoples has given us different ways of expressing it. You desire more in a coupling than these men have offered you. That is a fair thing." He smiles, glad to have finally made it out of his own confusion.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 pm

"Indeed. " She smiles and looks back to the party. "we should think about getting back soon. It's likely our being away has only fed the rumormongers' what they want to chew on." She stands then looks back at Flint.

"You know they have us linked romantically right? I just wanted to make sure you understand the way the rest of the tribe views our friendship."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 pm

"I had gathered that. I'd figured it the best way to stave off your suitors for a spell. Consider it repayment for your many kindnesses."

Flint Striker winks. "When you find a man your truly desire, let me know and I shall back away with a great show of tragedy and broken-heartedness."

It is unclear whether the drink or the presence of a fast friend has made him so ready to smile and joke, but Flint Striker is clearly enjoying himself.

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 pm

"hahaha!!!" Vibrika lets loose a laugh that she is sure they can hear back at the party. "I thank you for your offer of a pitious and heartbroken show. I may take you up on that! It might be nice to know there is someone pining away for show!" She laughs again, for a few minutes.

"But thank you for keeping the others at bay. I'm not sure why I'm such a popular topic of gossip, but I seem to be- and always have been."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am

"You're beautiful." Flint Striker's tone is blunt, but devoid of romantic sentiments. "And skilled. And the chieftain's daughter, in spirit if not in blood. Where men are not arduous, women will be jealous. It is the way of things." The youth turns back to the party. "Why not walk back? If we time it right we can cause no end of speculation."