Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: A Family Affair

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Icy Depths

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Jeger is silent looking into the tunnels. "I agree, let us try the dark one." The three, with the Sylvanhel's torch out, head off down into the dark tunnel shedding light into the hall. The three make it only a dozen feet before they spot a wide broken crevass that splits the tunnel. The light of the everburnign torch doesn't show the bottom of the pit. Fifteen foot wide, the three must figure a way to cross if they are to continue down this way.
15ft wide pit that covers the width of the hall.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Trejune cannot help but laugh. "Perhaps we should go the other way then?" he asks, his eyes flickering with anger in the darkness. The man does not seem pleased by any of this, and with good reason. "Or does anyone have an easy way around this?"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 pm

"I've no easy way around," Saeldur replies. "So I agree. It certainly seems wise to at least look at what challenges the other path offers."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 pm

Jeger looks like he's about ready to try and jump the pit. "Are you certain? We already gave up trying to kill the Eidolon, now we are to give up on this? How proud father will be of us." Jeger will do what the other two decide.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:04 pm

"What do I care of what he thinks of us?" grunts Trejune, angry with his brother, "You can kowtow to his boots when you see him, Jeger, but I will not. The only thing he has done is bring us far away from our people. Yes, once, years ago, he seeded our mother. He could have easily have just picked a seal!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:12 pm

"He's more than just your father, Trejune," the elf replies, a hint of exasperation in his tone. "And perhaps that's the problem. He's set before himself a task no less than saving civilization itself from collapse. And to do that, I fear he's had to misuse a great many people - you; me; even himself." He shakes his head and sighs.

"He's a good man," Saeldur says after a pause. "A great wizard, but a good man. He cares about people and he tries his best to help them. But he's also more focused than any man or elf I've ever met. He never loses sight of the bigger picture. And he does what he needs to in order to make sure that the big things don't go wrong. Unfortunately, that often means that some little things do go wrong."

"I don't expect you to forgive him his absence at once." The elf's tone is softer than before. "But perhaps you could give him the benefit of the doubt once in a while." He raises a questioning eyebrow. "He's really is trying to help."

"And you're wrong about one thing. He's not looking to have anyone kowtow to him. Kylorin's not like that." He shakes his head absently. "He gathers people who want to help. But no one works harder or takes as many risks as he does. And he does so without expectation of reward - because its the right thing to do."

Then Saeldur turns to face Jaeger. "As for this being a test, perhaps it is and perhaps it isnt'. If it is, then its a test of intelligence as well as skill. And we'd look pretty stupid if we risked life and limb to cross this chasm when there might well be a safer path available. And if it isn't a test, then we do ourselves no good to needlessly risk ourselves."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm

Jeger is silent, he nods to Saeldur's words, all of them, about his father, and about the test before them. "Brother, Saeldur has proven himself friend enough. I think we could, for his sake, give Kylorin a chance. Come, let get out of here, I'm starting to her hungry and I don't suspect we'll find a roaring fire and a feast laid out for us at the end of this." He stalks off to take on the other tunnel.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:33 pm

Trejune just shrugs, "Very well" he says, non-committal. The Wolf brother turns, following his brother, the emotions on his face fading as he walks into the darkness and away from the chasm.

Never does Trejune say anything regarding his father, as least for the moment, and for now, he is content to walk in silence, only speaking when necessary.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:17 pm

The three leave the pit, possibly they could jump it, but on the ice its not too likely. So they try the tunnel with the light. Along the walls of that tunnel are light blue runic script carved into the icy walls. The scripit is glowing like some phosphorescent moss. The runes are writen in a language that Jeger can't read. Trejune and Saeldur both however look over the large runes, each one the size of a man's head. They travel down the passage, a single line of script on each wall. On the left side you start at the begining, but on the right you are at the end. Not far ahead the gaping maw of a cave is visible, icicles hanging from the ceiling and rising from the floor like frozen bars blocking the way.

The script reads <Anhel>: "A mystic blade was broke in three, The blade that Mulcarn stole. The task will fall to them and thee To make Godslayer whole."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:28 pm

As they pass the glowing letters, Saeldur turns to face the wolf brothers. "The same prophesy Kylorin sent me in his last dream sending," he says, pointing at the words on the wall. "I'll take that as a sign that we're getting closer."

Then he moves cautiously towards to examine the icicles.
Be wary of something dangerous. But take a look at the icicles. Do they appear as if they were created with magic?