Chapter 2 - Tooth and Claw

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Moon Gate

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Saeldur hear's the shouts of the two men, and he waves his hand, instantly the enchantment that makes Flint and Egbert large falls away. Both men shrink to normal size...
I'm just doing this out of order here because I want to.

Flint and Egbert are both Medium sized again. And we continue on with Iniatiative order as normal now.
Egbert:
Endure Elements: 24 Hours
Protection From Evil: +2 Def, +2 Save vs Evil (5 Mins)
Inspire Courage +1 Att/+1 Dmg, +1 Fear/Charm Saves (Ends Round 8)

Flint:
Magic Weapon Dawn Flash +1 Att/Dmg: 1 Mins

Lehros:
Endure Elements: While Holding Rod

Macalanios:
Shield of Faith +2 AC (Deflection) 1 Mins

Saeldur:
Magic Vestment: +1 Enchantment: 2 Hours
Mage Armor: +4 Armor: 5 Hours
Shield: +4 Shield Bonus: (4 mins)

Vibrika
Initiative: Flint 17.3, Egbert 16.2, Lehros 16.2, Goblins 16.1, Bugbears 13.1, Saeldur 13.0, Vibrika 8.2
Flint Striker, now back to his normal size...

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat May 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Flint Striker knows it is now or never; bucking and weaving past goblins and hoping to be a little faster than the ice troll, he hurries to catch up with his siblings.
trading 4 attack for 4 AC, 1s 3sw 1s using tumble checks whenever necessary. Dumb Luck on as many tumble checks as are available.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat May 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Egbert looks left and right and knows that the way through the middle is blocked. If you cannot take the straight way, take the way around! He swings his sword harmlessly at the bugbear, not damaging him but making him take a step back, then the warrior of Lugus himself moves away, turns around and starts running! Hopefully, the ice-creatures will withdraw when they see that this level is crumbling.
Withdraw, the sword swing is only for color. Moving ne, n,n,nw, w,w,w to north of where Flint just was.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Initiative: Flint 17.3, Egbert 16.2, Lehros 16.2, Goblins 16.1, Bugbears 13.1, Saeldur 13.0, Vibrika 8.2
Flint knows its time to go, and he darts south, weaving through the goblins' attacks. He rolls under one swing, and sprints for the gate, he passes by Vibrika and pulls up just short of the Moon Gate, ready to hold off the enemies.

Egbert is the furthest from the gate, and he can't easily move through the middle so he takes off around the outside of the crumbling chamber. He starts looping around and safely gets to where Flint Striker just was.

Lehros chances it, he fires point blank into the goblin before him. Kylorin, or perhaps Lugus is watching out for the young Half Elf as the goblin counters the awkward shot and missed the already badly hurt Lehros. The bow snaps a shot into the eye socket of the Frostling killing the thing, and then Lehros shouts, "I will scout the way as always!" He darts south just past Saeldur, and looks at Macalanios, "<Anhel> Thank you, Secullus Guide you in the next life..." Lehros then leaps into the magic of the charged Moon Gate and vanishes as if leaping into a pool of water.

One of you has escaped.

Saeldur...
I'm at home, so I'm a bit out of sorts, so I ignored putting up the dice rolls, or map. Both Flint and Egbert are where they were trying to get to.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 am

Saeldur hesitates, hoping to help the children of Kylorin just a little bit more before he flees. Trusting that this will be his last challenge for the day, he speaks the words to the fire spell he's kept in reserve all this time, aiming to hit the troll, and hopefully cause him to hesitate in his approach.

Then he moves quickly to the edge of the moon gate. He puts a hand on Macalanios's shoulder and speaks a few words to his cousin. "<Anhel> Our people will remember your sacrifice. The world will remember it." His voice breaks on the last words. The loss of an elf, whatever his age, is difficult. That this is a friend and kinsman makes it doubly hard. "And I will miss your sage advice in the days and years to come."
Standard Action: Cast Scorching Ray at the ice troll. Who knows. Maybe a blast of fire will hold him back for a round --- stranger things have happened. :-)
Move Action: Go right to the edge of the moon gate.
Have my last words with Macalanios - secret, since Lehros just left (that is, unless Vibrika is holding out on me about knowing elven).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 27, 2009 5:40 pm

I skipped the Frostlings, oops. So putting them in.
The goblins have no escape up the stairs with the Troll taking them up. They also aren't bright enough to realize they are doomed, so they continue to throw themselves at the heroes. Moving to attack, one swings at Vibrika and another at Egbert, but both miss their targets. The Bugbear then follows suit, "You not escape! You all die!" He leaps at Egbert, but the man parries the attack with his bastard sword easily turning the Frostlings weapon to the side.
Then the troll on the strairs turns and horks up a freezing loogy that he spits over the group hitting Saeldur with it. The freezing spit however mostly bounces off the Anhel's thick furs and while the Elf can feel the cold of it, it does not hinder him beyond a minor annoyance.
Troll: Spittle vs Saeldur: 25 Hit for 1 Cold: Fort Save: DC 33 Success! Not Nauseated
That's when the Anhel counters with fire. He points a finger up at the troll and a ray of scorching fire slams into the troll square on. The beast howls in pain and fear as the fire burning through its frozen flesh leaving permant wounds of charred flesh up and down its body. Saeldur then moves quickly to Macalanios' side, and speaks private words to his cousin as he lingers on the edge of the Moon Gate.
Saeldur: Scorching Ray Troll: 17 Hit for 19 Fire!
Vibrika...

Connie_the_Fire_Element
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Connie_the_Fire_Element » Wed May 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Vibrika turns and begins to move towards the gate. She yells to be heard to lehros, "We should get through the gate and clear the path for the others."

She puts words to movement and takes off towards the gate, then stops as she sees the witch. She notes the woman's clothing and measures her to be about the same size. Having a spare set would be nice, not to mention anything else... Vibrika changes course towards the dead witch.

Once she reaches her, Vibrika begins to drag the body through the moongate with her.
Alittle bit of flavor, she's not actually running around like a loony tune. Move to dead witch, then dragging witch through the gate.
We will find this f-ing troll, and kill it's f-ing ass.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Round 6 Initiative: Flint 17.3, Egbert 16.2, Lehros 16.2, Goblins 16.1, Bugbears 13.1, Troll 13.1, Saeldur 13.0, Vibrika 8.2
Vibrika turns to run, and the Forstling stabs her in the back with his javelin. The woman of the Seal Tribe shrugs off the wound, another bleeding point on her already badly wounded body. Limping toward the Moon Gate she spots the dead body of Frigiga Iceblinder, and grabs the witch by the collar and pulls her through the Moon Gate with her shouting ahead at Lehros to clear the area. Her and the dead body are dragged out through the Moon Gate's magic and both vanish as water poors through the holes in the wall.
Vibrika: Flee (AoO: 22: Hit for 2 Dmg): Flee
Macalanios looks at his cousin, the magical power coursing through his body is turning it from white to charred black, he is the only thing preventing the gate from overloading at taking this whole place with it. "<Anhel> Take my things cousin, perhaps they can continue to aid you after....ARRRRAGHGH!" He screams as another lightning arc shoots off one of the Menhirs and shatters the eastern walls bringing down a huge portion of the chamber. The rushing water now fills the entire chamber's floor a several inces, and ice is crumbling all around you. "<Anhel> Go! I do not want to.... ARRRRAGH! .. remember me this way!" Stone from the ceiling above collapses into the pooling water with splashes of icy water. One huge chunk lands on a Bugbear killing it as it smashes in its skull!
Round 7 Initiative: Flint 17.3, Egbert 16.2, Goblins 16.1, Bugbears 13.1, Troll 13.1, Saeldur 13.0
Flint and Egbert...

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Egbert pretends wanting to tumble through the Bugbear like Flint, but then steps back and gets his lanky body to move fast, speeding around the corner and running towards the gate. His face is tense and he does not waste breath by speaking. His long, red hair, tied together by a leather string flows behind him as he speeds through the cave.
I do not know if you allow this: Running is x4, so I thought you might be able to run x2 as a move (=half round action). So if this is allowable, Egbert would do this:
Standard Action: Withdraw w,w,sw,s
Move Action: Run x2, as far south (towards the gate) as possible, taking the aoo from the gob.

If you do not allow this:
Full round action: Withdraw. w,w,sw,s,s,sw,s.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Chapter 2 - Tooth and Claw

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Because its obvious where this is going...
Egbert slips around and out of reach of the Frostlings, but not before they take a swing at him. It doesn't matter, the Paladin is well armored and protected by Sylvanhel magic. He escapes the Frostlings and leaps over several chunks of masonry that fall into the water around him. He holds his shield up over his head as pieces of ceiling *clang* and *bang* off it. His hair flows behind him, one of the leather straps becomes untied and like a wild fire his hair streams out as he runs. He leaps behind Vibrika into the portal of the Moon Gate and vanishes with the other two into that magical power.

Flint, waiting for his half brother to close the gap, nods to Saeldur, "Meet you on the other side." He spins and moves into the arcing magical swirl of the Moon Gate a last glance at the ancient Valanhel home, and a somber yet respectful look to Macalanios. He too then passes out of the portal.

Rocks and ice explode and break around the last two Anhel. A sliver of ice shatters and stabs the nearby Frostling in the chest sending it face down into the pooling water. Saeldur will be the last living Anhel to lay his eyes on this once marvelous city of his people. Macalanios begins to scream, the power courseing through his body far too much for him to take. No more words are exchanced, Saeldur snatches up Macalanios' pack, and walks backwards into the Moon Gate gazing at Parth Ernil for as long as he can.

Seconds after the entire chamber explodes as Macalanios body gives out, and the magic consumes the ruins of Parth Ernil, the Frostlings, Giant's Folly, and everything around the lake for a mile in a cataclysmic explosion of raw pure untamed magical energy!
Awesome job all! You guys really made this chapter a ton of fun for me. I hope everyone else enjoyed it. The Chapter 2 ends here, and I'll be giving out XP shortly, but everyone levels up to 6th Level I already know that much so start looking into leveling up.

Chapter 3 will start probably tomorrow. Comments or questions can go to the OOC.