Chapter 2 - Tooth and Claw

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Moon Gate

Post by Grimbold » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Egbert thinks about what Saeldur tells him and he moves and squeezes to stand south of the stairs. "Are you alright with that, Flint?"
Move SW, S

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue May 05, 2009 1:21 am

Flint nods, clearly understanding. "An elf says best, brother. No sense taking chances."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 06, 2009 5:27 am

Saeldur moves into place to cast his Web spell. As an afterthought, he says, "a warning to you. Should I tell you to stand back, move at least five feet away from he doors to the building. I'll be setting off a ball of fire centered on the staircase."

Then he has another thought. He reaches into his belt pouch and pulls out a feather, inscribed with some runes. "I wonder...," he mutters, and looks at the smaller doorway to the south. "This just might save us from having to guard that doorway.
I had a thought. Saeldur has a feather token - tree. The description says that it creates a tree that's five feet thick (okay, and 60 feet high). I'm not exactly sure how tall this pocket in the ice is. And I'm not sure if Saeldur knows what it would do if the area was restricted. But it occurred to me that it might be awfully useful in blocking the southern door (which appears to be a little less than five feet wide). That would reduce to three the number of exits we had to guard, and would be extremely useful to us.

Beside, how often do you see a good use for a feather token? (Well, except for our awesome use in last year's Brencrawl. :-) )

Oh, and to save some more debate. Would an enlarged character get to ignore the cover that the stairs would give on the southern side? If that's the case, and the tree can block off the doorway, then the North and South of the stairs might be the right spot for our 'giants.' That would let them cover the incoming hordes, but have a chance to fall back more easily.

One more thing (my mind is full of ideas all of a sudden). Could one of our 'giants' toss some of those barrels from the NW corner into that wedge on the NE corner to at least slow down anyone trying to squeak past? I know there's not time for a proper barricade like the frostlings had. But even a few broken barrels might require a balance check that could delay someone. And this is all about delay!
Just to put everything in one place. Use feather token - tree to block southern door if I think that'll work.

Also, cast Protection from Evil on Egbert from scroll. (Forgot I had that one)

And use my potion of CLW. (leaving me with none, alas) I just looked and saw I'm down to 17 hps. Not good going into an important fight!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm

OK this is the end of it then. No time to stack up the barrels, etc.

Web, Elarge Persons, Pro Evil, CLW +6 HPs, Tree Seals off Southern Exit. No Cover bonus from the large guys if they are East and North, so put them back that way. So you have all 4 exits blocked off.

Excellent use of the Token Trogdor!

Current Active Buffs on the Party

Egbert:
Endure Elements: 24 Hours
Enlarge: The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size. (5 Mins)
Protection From Evil: +2 Def, +2 Save vs Evil (5 Mins)
Inspire Courage +1 Att/+1 Dmg, +1 Fear/Charm Saves
Bastard Sword 2d8 Dmg

Flint:
Magic Weapon Dawn Flash +1 Att/Dmg: 1 Mins
Enlarge: The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size. (5mins)
Dawn Flash: 2d6 Dmg

Lehros:
Endure Elements: While Holding Rod

Macalanios:
Shield of Faith +2 AC (Deflection) 1 Mins

Saeldur:
Magic Vestment: +1 Enchantment: 2 Hours
Mage Armor: +4 Armor: 5 Hours
Shield: +4 Shield Bonus: (4 mins)

Vibrika

How is this? There is no more time for anything, but Egbert if you want to move someplace else, just let me know. After this the combat initiative starts. Saeldur has no time left to do anything (being he did a ton already)
Saeldur drinks a potion, casts a few more spells from his trinkets he has, and moves the group around to better positions. The men and woman are in place, Macalanios is struggling with the magical power of the Moon Gate, "This...isn't...going...to...be...easy..." he begins to chant trying to change the power of the gate.

The ceiling shakes, something large upstairs starts into the web...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 06, 2009 8:42 pm

As his last action, Saeldur lays a hand on Macalanios's shoulder. "<Anhel>We'll get you the time you need," he says in a low voice. "And we won't forget what you've done for us - for all of the sylvanhel. Thank you, cousin." Then he turns and faces the stairs.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Flint Striker grins, a Bear even in this dark time. "Everything looks so small!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Egbert:
Enlarge: The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size. (5 Mins)
Protection From Evil: +2 Def, +2 Save vs Evil (5 Mins)
Bastard Sword 2d8 Dmg

Flint:
Magic Weapon Dawn Flash +1 Att/Dmg: 1 Mins
Enlarge: The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size. (5mins)
Dawn Flash: 2d6 Dmg

Lehros:
Endure Elements: While Holding Rod

Macalanios:
Shield of Faith +2 AC (Deflection) 1 Mins

Saeldur:
Magic Vestment: +1 Enchantment: 2 Hours
Mage Armor: +4 Armor: 5 Hours
Shield: +4 Shield Bonus: (4 mins)

Vibrika
Round 1 Initiative: Flint 17.3, Goblins 16.1, Egbert 14.3, Lehros 13.4, Bugbears 13.1, Vibrika 8.2, Saeldur 6.2,
The web gums up the stairs, and the timer starts. Macalanios's chanting grows and you know he's now working his best to stop the chain reaction overload of the Moon Gate. He struggles with his infusions, draining his very life to keep the power contained. The group, with Saeldur's many spells protecting them, take up their positions. At the top of the stairs there is a shouting and a screaming, the low croaking of the Frostling Snow Goblins is unmistakable as they encounter the web that gums up the stairwell. Howling and screaming begins, and your battle is now on.
Sorry for the long delay, work and stuff just made this take a while. Alright you need to defend Macalanios.
Here is how the combat is going to work:

Macalanios needs to spend 5 Consecutive Rounds working his infusion on the Moon Gate (he will act last in the round). If he suffers any dmg he'll need to make a Concentration Check DC 15+Dmg taken to continue, if he fails, he has to start 5 rounds all over again on his next action. Saeldur can assit him, providing him a +4 bonus on the Conc check (this is a modified Aid Another based on Saeldur's skills). But if Saeldur is helping, he must help for the entire round and won't be able to do anything, including AoO. Of course if Macalanios dies, then all bets are also off.

The point and urgency of the situation I think I've made clear. If Macalanios fails, the Moongate goes Ka-Boom, and takes Parth Ernil (plus you), as well as all the other Moon Gates with it -- a MAJOR blow to the war effort of the Anhel against Mulcarn (as well as screwing their civilzation big time).

Each round, Frostlings will poor down the stairs, the only way in or out of the chamber. This is your classic "Defend This Location" event! Which honestly we dont' see enough of run here.
Flint Striker reacts fist to the noise of the Goblins and Frostlings high above, still out of sight but only just beyond the webbing...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Flint Striker moves into a defensive pose; he'll let the first rush come to him. Once they enter the sweep of his axe, they won't leave.

"They're on their way!"
Shifting 2 from attack to AC and readying to attack the first thing that enters my reach.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Round 1 Initiative: Flint 17.3, Goblins 16.1, Egbert 14.3, Lehros 13.4, Bugbears 13.1, Vibrika 8.2, Saeldur 6.2,
Flint Striker alerts the group the Frostlings are coming. He shifts into a defensive stance, and readies to swing at the first enemy to come down the stairs.

The goblins at the top of the stairs are howling and screaming about the web. They begin to cut at the strings, and then there is smoke! The Frostlings begin to throw their torches into the webbing! The whole thing lights up like kindling! In an instant the stairs are on fire, burning and smoking as the flames spread down the web setting things ablaze in an instant! In seconds the entire web will be burned away!
Goblins: Burn the Web - It takes the whole round to burn the web away. So next inititiave the web is cleared. Moving into the web area now, will cause burning so don't do it.
Egbert...

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat May 09, 2009 11:19 am

Egbert smiles at his brother. "It does buy us some time. Lugus shines on us, Flint! Let us stand firm and steadfast!" He stands there, ready to strike at the first foe he sees, trying to see through the smoke.
Fight defensively, ready an attack if anything comes down this round.