Chapter 2 - Hoof and Horn

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chapter 2 - Hoof and Horn

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:36 am

Image Winter has plagued man for the last three hundred and fifty years with no end in sight. Civilizations have fallen, and the hope of summer has long since even been a dream.

But some hope remains. The goddess Nantosuelta, who loved Sucellus, whispered to her most loyal follower, an archmage kept alive from a previous age and told him what he must do.

Kylorin was unique among men, the first to be trained in the art of magic by the evil goddess Ceridwen, whom he later betrayed to follow Nantosuelta. Directly instructed by both the evil goddess of conjuration and the good goddess of enchantment he was the most legendary figure of his age, and for now he is the most legendary figure of another age as well.

For decades he has spread knowledge, learning, and civilization among the Amurite tribes, leading them from the cold darkness of ignorance, to the warm light of enlightenment. Yet among all his teachings he left behind something more important; his children.

Born of the various tribes of men, and elf, the Children of Kylorin have slowly been gathered by Kylorin's own follower Saeldur of the Sylvanhel. Some have willingly joined the quest, while others have broken away on their own paths.

Kylorin has vanished but winter has taken a slight down turn, and the signs in the sky aligned, Kylorin's plan is in motion, and he must now rely on his children to pick up his torch and burn away the frost.

This is the tale of one of those children, struggling to do good in the cold harsh world without the guidance and knowledge of his father, his siblings, or even the prophet Saeldur. This is the tale of Egbert Hawkeye, Guardian of the Stones of Lugus the Everwatchful, Amurite of the Mammoth Tribe.

Over the last decades the Order of Lugus has seen many changes among the Mammoth. An order of warriors and shaman who fougth for glory it has evolved over the years into an order of protectors thanks to the guiding hand of Kylorin during his stay among the Amurites. The warriors became more refined, and the shamans more learned and among their militant order the light of knowledge spread. Lugus became known as the Everwatchful and his protecting light and warmth spread over his followers. Still filled with traditions of the old ways the order is a mix of new teachings and old traditions, but one thing remains constant. Those of Lugos protect their own from the cold and dark of Mulcarn and Agares the Black the Goddess of Night.

Today is the eve of one of those old traditions still honored amoung the Everwatchful. For three days a small party of Mammoth Tribesmen have left the safety of the Vale of the Skyreach and travel to a place known as the "Giant's Folly". It is a sacred site of an ancient battle where an unnamed hero of Lugus defeated in single combat a Frost Giant of Mulcarn. The site of the battle is visisted each year by young warriors of the order to test their mettle against one another, and against the cold of Mulcarn. This year those choosen to make the four day trip (one way) are few, but among them is Egbert Hawkeye, and half a dozen other young warriors. Leading them is Grethos the Lightkeeper, one of the Elder Shaman of the Mammoth and Uncle to Egbert.

The procession of young warriors and the one Elder Shaman and their mounts have stopped and set up camp for the night. Excitement races through the young for tomorrow around midmorning you are expected to reach the "Giant's Folly" and there hold battle with one another for your and Lugus' glory. the warrior that comes out on top during this trip has always excelled to greatness and it is s true honor to win this competition. The camp is set, a small collection of hide tents, a single camp fire burning warmly. Egbert has been given guard watch at this time, and stands alone on the edge of camp while the others prepair the evening meal, fetch water, stoke the fire, tend to the Branta, and do other camp activities.

Beyond the edge of camp lies a vast tundra of snow covered hills dotted with pine forests as far as the eye can see to the east, north and west. To the south the hills and mountains of the Skyreach rise up into the cold dense bank of clouds that surround their rocky peaks.
Welcome Grimbold to the game. This is only for Grimbold to post to!
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 2 - Hoof and Horn

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Tall and slender, Egbert stands on his watch. He is wearing his bronze plate armor and fondles the spear in his hand. His Branta has left for the night, to whatever place it goes when it is not needed. He is going to summon it again in the morning.

With one hand, he combs back his red hair, held by a leather strap. His green eyes glare into the darkness, watching out for enemies. He is still young of years, he has not seen eighteen years, but he seems athletic and strong. He is nervous about tomorrow and he has never been away from the settlements for long. But Lugus tests those he loves, does he not?

What if the sign he has been waiting for comes tomorrow? What if it never comes? Trust in Lugus, the Everwatchful. He watches over you. He will know then the time is right. Egbert is certain the fighting tomorrow will give him a direction in life. He will do well that is certain. The other warriors are also good, but it is Egbert who is waiting for the sign, is he not?

Egbert says a short prayer to Lugus, asking him to watch over the camp and keep it safe. Deep in thought, Egbert calmly keeps watch.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:06 pm

Egbert hears the soft steps of the shaman behind him coming closer. Grethos, the brother to Egbert's mother leads this group and so far as not shown his nephew any specical treatment. Now however the elder shaman stalks from the camp in his thick wooly robes to stand next to the young man. Grethos is aged, perhaps in his late fourties, a ripe old age among the Amurites in these hard times. He is drapped in wooly mammoth hides, the dark brown fur is tinged with white frost and snow to keep out the winter that stands all around them. Egbert's bronze armor is a modern marvel, but also it draws in the cold forcing the young to wear hides and traveling furs or feeze out here in the wild tundra.

Elder Shamad Grethos stands next to his nephew for a long silent minute looking out at the terrain beyond the camp. After several minutes of silence he speaks, his voice warm and soothing. "Tomorrow you will face a destiny my nephew. I wonder which one it shall be for you." He never turns his head or looks at Egbert as he speaks, he just watches the horizon and the gather darkness.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Egbert bows his head in greeting when the shaman arrives. He has never expected any special treatment from the Elder Shaman. He too, pulls the mammoth-hide cloak closer around his body.

"Lugus knows. We can only wonder." replies the youth, smiling softly. "Ahem, ahem" - it takes some time for Egbert to gather courage for his words - "Do you think Lugus will send me another sign soon? I will be eighteen next month and I want to serve Lugus as best I can. I know I should be patient, but my dream last year, I cannot forget it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Grethos moves his shoulders and pulls the thick hide up closer around his neck as a cold wind blows down from the mountains. The first hints of snow begin, light flakes, large and flate drift down out of the sky and start to land on the ground and the brown furs of the two men. "Lugus works in strange ways. Perhaps you have already recieved your sign and did not notice it? Perhaps you will see something and treat it as the sign, even if it is not. I would not worry nephew, regardless you are a skilled warrior and a devout faithfull. There will always be a place for you among our order."

Holding out a hand, stretched out from his robe, the Elder Shaman catches a few now flakes on his hands. "The weather has been strange of late." It is true, the last few weeks have been unseasonably warm, but it seems the winter is returning full force now.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 pm

"Strange weather indeed, my uncle. I fear it will get colder every day now. Evil times lie ahead, this I can see. We need to prepare for a season of frost, I believe. Lugus helps those who help themselves."

The young man puts on a hood of mammothhide to shield himself against the snow. "Look, still the stars can be seen. I will wait for my sign. Tomorrow, I shall do my best to fight in Lugus' honour." Egbert also catches a few snowflakes and lets them melt in his palm. From his belt, he fetches a pair of wollen mittens and puts them on, so his fingers do not freeze off.

"Do you often get signs, uncle? In my dream, last year, it just felt so, so good, so right, it showed me what to do in the world, my place where I belong and where I can be happy. Do you have such visions?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:23 am

"Winter may never leave these lands Egbert. We must always be braced against it." He watches the snow and the dusk light in the sky, "I have had my share of visions. As the Elder Shaman of our order I am often blessed by Lugus' guiding hand. It is rare however for one so young to have such strong visions." He touches his bearded face and rubs his chin before putting his hand away out of the cold. "Yet I believe I know know why your vision was so strong. Tomorrow, after the Mok-tal Tradition it will be time for you to learn more about your heritage. I can tell you no more now, not before you under go the rites with the others, but when you are done, win or loose, you will be a man, and then I may reveal to you more." He holds his hand up again from inside his robes, "Perhaps it will answer your questions, perhaps it will create more, and perhaps it will be the sign you are waiting for, but you must wait. I promised my sister I would not tell her child the truth, but tomorrow, tomorrow you are a man and a child no longer." He looks now at his nephew with a strong appraising gaze.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:53 pm

"I hope to earn Lugus' trust tomorrow. But Lugus does as Lugus wills. We shall see what happens in the morn. After the fight, I shall come to see you and hear what you have to tell me. Until then, I must fight my desire for knowledge."

Indeed, Egbert is very curious and wants to know more, but he fights the desire valiantly and is left puzzled.

My mother Gwynbar had a secret? Something about my family? Perhaps my father Fjort is not the simple metalworker he professed to be? What could it be?

Egbert steadies himself, gazing into the darkness, lost in thought, waiting silently for the Elder Shaman to say more or say good bye.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:54 pm

The Elder Shaman nods his head, "Be vigilant nephew, tomorrow will be a long day. Be Everwatchfull." The old man turns, his hides sweeping around him, and heads back toward the camp without any more to say.

For a few hours Egbert is left on watch as the camp is set, food is cooked, and alot of the preparations in camp and for tomorrow are done without him. Then one of the younger men, Flinn, comes stalking up to Egbert's location to relieve him. "Lugus watch over you Egbert, your shift if done. Dinner is still hot. Eat, it is my turn to watch." The young man wears as many robes as Egbert, but underneath he has only leather armors, but in his hand is a long spear that stands taller than himself by half. He is a friendly sort of young man who wears a smile even in the cold.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Egbert gives a friendly nod to Flinn: "I know I could count on you to be on time. Up to now, everything is clear, even if it is freezing. Lugus watch over you" With a friendly nod, he begins walking over to the kitchen tent, remembering the many times he played dice with Flinn and shared stories and songs.

At the tent, Egbert gets himself a plate and some hot food as well as a cup of tea. He then looks around to see if anyone is still awake near the fires for a short chat before going to bed.