Chapter 2 - Hoof and Horn

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 2 - Hoof and Horn

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Egbert has a short chat with another of the youths in the camp who is up tending to the fire and the food. Kharl is a rather rotund young man, from a wealthy family who is predisposed to roundness in the belly. Kharl doesn't stand much of a chance of winning tomorrow, but his heart and his faith are in the right place and while he knows he can't win, he isn't about to give up because of the obvious. He share a plate, his third, with Egbert and the two chat for a short while before the youth heads to bed in one of the tents leaving Egbert alone for a few minutes before the fire.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:03 pm

After warming himself up with the hot food and drink and the chat with Kharl, Egbert also heads to one of the tents.

In the tent, he finds a place to sleep and spreads out his bedroll and a woolen blanket. Quickly, he throws off his hides and takes off his armor, the bronze shining in the firelight. He then warps himself in fur again, plants his spear in the floor and lays his sword at his side, he lies down and covers himself in hides and woolen blankets, trying to get some sleep.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 pm

*** Four Hours Later ***

Egbert wakes with a start in the dead silence of the night. In his dream the young warrior saw dark shapes and darker deeds at work. Waking he is half expecting them to be true but the night is still and silent.

Silence.

Complete silence in fact, and there is a deep uncomfortableness to it like the calm before a storm.

Next to him Kharl sleeps wraped in his elk hide blankets hogging most of the tent but helping to keep it warm with his bulk. Outside the tent the deep night has settled in but there is no sound of bird or beast.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:22 am

"Be everwatchful". Egbert quietly dons his armor and wraps himself in the mammothhide cloak. He grips his sword and makes his way outside to see if there is any trouble. First, he wants to look and see if the guard has seen anything.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Egbert has just managed to don his armor when the silence breaks. In fact is sounds like the trees around the camp are breaking. A thunderous roar of screams and warcries ring out around the camp. Like an avalanche of howls a troup of Frostlings has decended on the camp without warning. The screams and warcries are unintelligible to Egbert, the langauge of the Frostlings unknown, but not unfamiliar to the young warrior. It sounds as if a score or more of beasts have circled the camp and are charging into the camp. There is no warning shout from Flinn who is on watch. Later on it might be discovered that poor Flinn took an arrow to the throat and one to the chest moments before the attack even began.

The crashing wave of enemies bares down on the camp and those sleeping within! Egbert is just moving out of the tent and spots shapes charging the camp. Instantly he recognizes the horde of Snow Goblins, small creatures with long thoat sacks and thick fur and wicked looking weapons. Something else pushes forward from behind them as well...
Please link an image for your character in the image thread Grimbold, or send me one via Email or PM. I will use it for combat token as well as generally having a nice picture of you.
Round 1 Initiative: Egbert 16.3, Goblins 15.1, Bugbear 13.1

Egbert is up. I can't remember at this moment (need more coffee) if we've done combat together? You post your desired action, I'll resolve it and mark who has acted this round in bold and once its back around to you, you post again.

The very bright white areas are deep snow drifts, enter at your own risk. The trees consume their space and are thick pine trees and impassable. The goblins and other thing are not all there is, but those are the ones close to the camp, you can vaugely tell there are more in the darkness outside the light of the fire of the camp.

Each space is 5ft/2m. Egbert is inside the tent and has to exit via its opening. Remember your speed is only 20ft in your armor, which is on.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Grasping his sword and shield, Egbert moves to attack the nearest snow goblin, hoping to take him down with a single, horizontal strike to the breast. While moving, he shouts at the top of his lungs: "Attack, attack, get your weapons, make haste!"
Just tell me if I do this right. I have never done combat with you, but peeked in at some fights.
Move Action: SE, SW (next to goblin 4) If this does not work, I just try to move towards him in melee attack range.
Attack G4 with my sword.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:49 am

Nope looks like you did it right. You would also include things like Power Attack weighting, or Smite Evil use, that sort of thing, Dodge Partner, etc. You also could do a contingent sort of post for possibly reactionary things, like say: I use such and such Imediate Action if so and so casts a spell on me. I don't think it will be a big deal at this point that sort of thing, but you might say like: If I kill with my hit I use my Cleave on Goblin #2 (if that was a legal situation).
Egbert is up and out of the tent in a flash, his sword and shield in hand he wastes no time moving right up to one of the Snow Goblins that is circling the tent. With a powerful horizontal strike he cleaves the small creature in twain. The blade hits hard, the body crumples and half falls forward, and half falls backwards spraying crimson all over the pure white snow. Then shouting for the others Egbert braces for the counter attack from the Frostlings.
Egbert: Move, Att #4: 21 Hit for 11 Dmg, DEAD

One note of convention from me. If you see this "20" (Crit: 23) Ciritcal Hit for 15. That would mean you rolled a natural "20", and a 23 on the Confirmation roll. Also you may see "1" (Fumble: 14) Miss for a natural fumble and a fumble confirmaton. In my game there are 3 states of Fumble: You start with a "1" that is a Fumble Threat, just like a "20" is a Critical Threat. We roll to confirm the Fumble (using your Highest attack even if its for a second or lower attack roll). If the Confirmation would have hit, it is just an embrassing looking miss. If the roll is a miss, you fumble for something bad, generally lose your other actions, drop weapon, fall prone, etc. If you confirm and roll another "1" its UBERFubmle and watch the heck out cause you probably just killed yourself or something really bad. (also known as a Botch).

The Frostlings, screaming and shouting in their high pitched voices, close in on the camp and poor Egbert becomes the their target...
I'm out of time right now. As I left Initiative it shows that Egbert has gone (he's in bold) and that next up is the Goblins. I'll post them tomorrow, sorry just out of time today.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:40 pm

The Frostlings pour into the camp, the first wave focusing on Egbert the onyl real target at the moment. Two of the Snow Goblins moves forward and throw their javelins at the young man. Egbert lifts his shield up and easily blocks the first small spear and he ducks under the second one with trained skill. But while he's watching the incoming Javelins another Frostling charges from the south with a heavy looking bone club. The little goblin races through the snow screaming and wooping as it crashes into Egbert's side. The club connects with Egbert's shin. Pain radiates up from the spot where the goblin connects but the blow is insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and the goblin has left itself over extended.
Goblin #1 Move/Throw Javelin 11 Miss
Goblin #2 Move/Throw Javelin 5 Miss
Goblin #3 Charge w/ Club 23 Hit for 3 Dmg
Two more Frostling, with stone daggers leap a the back of the tents and haack their way through the hide sides and pour into the tents with the sleeping others inside, vanishing from Egbert's view.

Then the large Bugbear moves further into camp, something even larger behind him still in the darkness of the trees outside the campfire's light. The bugbear steps up between some snowbanks and launches its own larger javelin at the warrior of Lugus. Hawkeye ducks low, holding his shield up allowing the weapon to skim off his heavy wooden shield to land someplace to the west of the camp. With a roar the Bugbear bangs his chest and its armor there. Howling in Frostling Egbert can only guess at what its saying.
Bugbear Move/Throw Javelin 9 Miss
Round 2 Initiative: Egbert 16.3, Goblins 15.1, Bugbear 13.1, Other Humans 10

So here we see Round 2 has started and Egbert is up
With one goblin upclose and personal and more closing in, Egbert....

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Egbert turns his head to look at the goblins and the bugbear closing in, then turns to the goblin he ia facing. He yells: "Make haste, the enemy is upon you!" Then he performs a vicious upward slash, hoping to hit the goblin's neck.
Attack goblin 3.
If he falls with one stroke, Egbert will move towards the bugbear: e,e,se. Otherwise he will stay where he is.
(Did you find my image in the ooc thread?)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Round 2 Initiative: Egbert 16.3, Goblins 15.1, Bugbear 13.1

Yup I saw it and have set up a token for Egbert from it.
Egbert keeps shouting to wake the others of his group up. That isn't all he does, with a solid swing he decapitates the nearest Snow Goblin, sending its head flying through the air to land with a rustle in the boughs of one of the nearby pine trees. Then with quick feet he moves toward the Bugbear and the other foes shield at the ready.
Egbert Att #3 17 Hit for 11 Dmg, DEAD
Just when Egbert moves into position the two goblins draw their second an finaly javelins from their back and throw them once more at the man. His shield blocks one of the spear again, and he knocks the other from mid air with his bastard sword sending it to the ground splintered in two. The large Frostling, a Bugbear, races forward drawing from its belt a nasty looking morningstar. The weapon is made from a rust colored iron, that looks like its seen much better days. The solid iron will give the Bugbear an advantage, but not enough for the moment. Egbert kneels down as the morningstar comes crashing down in an wide overhand swing. With his shield raised high over his head the man blocks the blow, splinters from his shield spray and his arm tingles from the blow but otherwise Egbert is unharmed.

Inside the tents you can hear screaming from the goblins, high croakings from their thoat sacks, and a gleefull triump in Egbert's tent where the larger Mammoth tribesman is. Then from the south side of the came more foes come pouring into the camp, three more goblins, and another Bugbear, not as large as the first, but just as nasty looking.

"For Lugus!" The cry is heard from inside the other tent, and the sound of the men there fighting back echoes throughout the camp. Weapons are swung and men struggle for their lives, but all goes unseen inside, but Egbert is confident as least some of the men are up and fighting for their lives.
Goblin #1 Throw 2nd Javelin 9 Miss
Goblin #2 Throw 2nd Javelin 7 Miss
Goblin #5 Uknown in Tent
Goblin #6 Uknown in Tent
Goblin #7 Arrive
Goblin #8 Arrive
Goblin #9 Arrive
Bugbear 1 Move/ Draw Iron Morning Star, Att Egbert 14 Miss
Bugbear 2 Arrive
Yohan: Att 06: 6 Miss
Arlis: Att 06: 12 Miss
Round 3 Initiative: Egbert 16.3, Goblins 15.1, Bugbear 13.1, Humans 10