Chapter 3 - The Long Run

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Warnings Given

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Kylorin seems to smile with a wave of saddness in his features, "I know that my son. She was my daughter remember? All of my children are special to me, and none more than those who have gone to to Arawn The Keeper. Yet you must have another and she is coming to meet you. Do not forget my words in your grieving anger my son. You will know her by her amulet, together you are stronger, just as the amulets are stronger together than apart." He steps forward and even at this range you can't see his face, its as if you are looking at him through a sheet of ice. He rests a hand on your shoulder a cold hand, and a blast of chilling air whips through the trees. The leaves on the tree blow off the branches like snowflanks of green and yellow. The birds burst into the air and the foxes run away in fear.

The warmth is gone, and the winter is setting in, even here in this dream state...

Kylorin curses, "No, not yet!" He shouts to the air as his breath comes out cold and frosted, his skin starting to turn white...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 am

"The amulet. I'll look for it. ", Lehros repeats, feeling a bit ashamed for having doubted Kylorin's intentions. The keen eyes with their white pupils trying in vain to pierce through the veil of ice that keeps the Archmage's features obscured.

The half-anhel shivers under the sudden blast of cold wind. Even though he has learned to feel at home in ice and snow, he is sad to see the beauty of this place gone in the blink of an eye.

On top of Kylorin's hand on his shoulder, Lehros puts his own hand, as if that could somehow keep his father with him.

"We will end the winter, father! ", he promises desperately.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 am

Kylorin takes Lehros' hand on his in his other, "Your mothers silk...it holds the key..." Kylorin is then suddenly encased in a great block of ice! He is sucked up into the air, his body inprisoned in the 'armor' that covers his whole body like a frozen glove. It is a familiar image, the same image from when the group fought through the dream realm of the Eidolon and found Kyolrin trapped in the ice at the end.

All around Lehros a blizard starts, inches of snow fall in seconds, the tree limbs break under the weight of the snow snapping and falling to the ground. The pristine world turns to ice and snow, howls on barbarians and wolves on the wind fill Lehros' ears.

Then the ice shatters sending black shards flying like daggers at Lehros. Lifting your hands on instinct to block them you wake up!
A reply post then I'll fill you in on where you wake up. Its all dark and for the moment you can't see anything.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:54 am

Sadly, Lehros died in the other dream before getting to see Kylorin
Lehros stares at Kylorin, terrified as his father gets sucked up and entombed by the ice.

Then the ice shatters, and he lifts up his hands.

Before the sharp shards reach him, there is darkness.
Lehros sits up with a start, his arms protectively in front of his face. His breath comes rapidly and there are fine pearls of sweat covering his forehead.

Disoriented, he lets his arms sink. Then, with a sudden rush of fear, he fumbles for the pocket in his winter clothing, containing the piece of silk that is of even more importance now...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

In the Halls of the Elk King

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Fumbling around in the darkness of some unknown room Lehros reaches for that piece of silk and finds it not there! In fact none of Lehros' things are on him.

It seems when he collapsed before the Elk King he was taken to a bedroom and undressed, his wounds tended too, and his things taken to be cleaned and mended. The Half Anhel was then dressed in new clothing and placed in one of the beds with care. He is covered head to toe in a corse wool garment that is warm but not overly fashionable. The bed is layered with bear, elk, and branta fur blankets.

A small fire crackles in the corner sputtering to life just now giving the room a bit of a red glow. Lehros' leafweave armor is hung on a rack in the corner, his bow resting against the wooden wall next to his pack of things. Sitting across the mantle of the fireplace in a spot of honor is the Rod of Khendrajan. Where his clothing is, and in turn the silk, he doesn't see.

A table with a basin of water, and a chair also are nearby. The door out of the room appears closed but a faint light filters in from under it.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Re: In the Halls of the Elk King

Post by paradoxa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 am

Upon finding the silk is gone, Lehros feels a rush of panic.
Even though his body probably still is tired and sore from the long run, he jumps up, shedding the blankets, and looks around wildly, his father's parting words still echoing in his mind.
...you fool, you lost it, you lost the key...

As he slowly recognizes his surroundings, and remembers how he got here, he calms down a bit. Lehros walks over to the fireplace, noticing some of his things are there. He runs his hand over the shaft of the Rod, almost reverently, but lets it rest where it is for the moment.

Realizing his clothing is not there, he turns towards the door...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:29 am

The door is a stout wooden door, and testing it Lehros finds it opens easily into a narrow hall. He is located in one of the wings of the main hold of Bowenwar. Torches light the passage and some hunting trophies hang on the walls here and there. Several doors lead into other rooms but at the far end of the hall is one that has guard posted at it. The man wears heavy furs and thick hide armor. He holds a spear, but has two stone axes on his hip. A laced helm of raw hide and metal strips sits on his head.

You aren't sure but it looks like he notices you poking your head out into the hall.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:08 am

Lehros takes a step outside the door, then hesitates.

Barefooted, in the unfamiliar woolen garments, and without his own thick winter clothing he has worn and mended for many years, he actually feels a bit naked. And, even worse, he doesn't have a cowl or scarf that could hide the mark. By force of habit, and without even thinking about it, the half-anhel turns and lowers his head, in an attempt to hide the left side of his face.

The young scout eyes the guard, not sure if he should approach the man.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 pm

The guard shifts his weight looking down the hall at Lehros. He gives a bit a nod showing that he sees the young Anhel. The guard however doesn't move from his post at the door. He just stands there watching the guest in silence for the moment.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Spurred on by the sense of urgency Kylorin instilled, Lehros finally overcomes his reluctance and walks towards the Elk warrior.
He's still nervous enough when he addresses the man, once he's close enough, but does his best to be polite.
"Greetings... I need the rest of my belongings.. do you know where they have been taken to?"

Then, with a look of shock and dismay on his face, the young half-anhel realizes why he came here and what his mission was, before in the dream his father set a new goal. The Doviello attack!
"How long since I came here? Has the attack already begun?", he asks, highly alarmed.