Chapter 4 - Into the Wolf's Den

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chapter 4 - Into the Wolf's Den

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Image Such is the god's power that their will is physically manifested. When two or more agree, that manifestation is even more potent. At the formation of The Compact, a symbol of that agreement was created: a sword inscribed with the mark of each god. Each agreed that if they broke The Compact they would be vulnerable to this sword, which came to bear the name Godslayer.

The Godslayer has been broken in the war between Mulcarn and Sucellus into three pieces and over 300 years those pieces have been moving close to each other. Now they all lie in the area of Letum Frigus, the place where Sucellus was killed, the home of Mulcarn.

Kylorin has gone into this region and has sought out the bands of men that still survive in a battle against Mulcarn and his forces. He has set in motion a plan to reforge the Godslayer and to do what a god had failed to do, kill the God of Winter.

*** Dawn of a New Day ***

The battle for Jotsplat was long and difficult, but in the end the Elk with the aid of the Children of Kylorin and the freed Sabertooth Family won the day. The city of Jotsplat was spared the rampaging vengeance of the Doviello Barbarians. The barbarians were crushed between the defenders on the wall, and the Elk warriors who charged from the cover of the forest. The battle tactic was only made possible by Lehros' timely arrive after a very long run from the dragon Oroshar's lair. Many Elk died honorably in battle, many many more Doviello fell to the Ammurite iron weapons. With the slaying of a major chieftain by the Children of Kylorin the barbarian hordes lost enough direction to become a beast without a head. The beast was slain after many hours of hard battle.

The day ended yesterday with victory for the Elk and the Doveillo scattered back into the wintry lands beyond the boarders of the Ammurites to lick their wounds and hone their battle skills. The struggle against the beasts is far from over, but for now the Elk will know a short peace. Tired and wounded the Children of Kylorin fought on until the battle was won and during the fighting some of the group was split up but eventually found one another once again come morning.

Having resting through the night in various locations, where ever a bed could be found to lay their head, our heroes eventually begin to recollect at the Great Mead Hall of Bowenwar the King in the morning.

The Great Mead Hall is basically one large open wooden chamber. Heavy pillars, carved with animal and monster faces support the angled roof high above. The room has many benches and tables set around the outer side of it near to the door much like a mead hall or tavern. At the far end of the chamber is a large wooden throne which is currently empty. Warriors mill about talking and drinking, other men and woman linger near their kin talking about the battle of yesterday. A huge fire is set in the middle of the room and warms the building. The smoke escapes out of a hole in the middle of the roof. There are two wings to the building, sealed away behind closed doors. Weapons and shields hang on the wall and the windows remain shuttered against the cold. It does not appear to have suffered during the siege.

Dozens of warriors, sages, and shamans of the Elk pack the chamber, many with bandaged wounds from the fight. All of them with weapons and armor worn proudly. The Elk talk in loud and boisterous voices regaling one another with their victory stories and tales of their battle prowess. Ale and mead flows freely, even at this early hour, and its possible many of these men have not slept at all.

The Children begin to arrive...
Welcome to Chapter 4!

You arrive in small groups, having been split up last night in the fighting. So you can post in however you like. Figure you spent the night in various inns, homes or perhaps in one of the wings of the Great Mead Hall. Ovind and her family remained together. Tet only Ovind and her mother arrive, your sisters and step father remain outside, Berg is badly wounded and is with the healers, and your sisters remain with him for support.

The goal is to resolve alot of the loose ends we have out there, the Sabertooth, the Battle, and the Dragon's Lair!
Image Jotsplat City

Image The Great Mead Hall: Add Bonfire, Remove Gandalf :)
Last edited by Vardaen on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Chapter 4: Into the Wolf's Den

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Øvind walks into the hall, her eyes moving about the massive building, and the Sabretooth woman's expression troubled. The sight of such a permanent structure is totally foreign to the nomadic people of the Sabretooth, and as such, the large building makes her nervous.

"I am glad you are well mother," Øvind says, sighing heavily. "We should warn the other families of the Doveillo movements when we can ..." She places her hands behind her back, wondering what Thjodhild is thinking. Kylorin has other children, they knew this, but to see them up front and personal is a different matter.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Thjodhild stands in the doorway gazingup at the ceiling, a bit in awe. The older woman has never come to the Elk town personally, and such buildings are difficult for her to grasp. "So large... truely the Elk are worthy of the Sabertooth's respect."

She turns her gaze to her daughter, "We shall do that daughter you are right to worry about them. However with the barbarians fleeing home, we can hope the other families will be safe." She has been mostly silent since the battle. Once freed she joined the fight at her daughters' side striking down several Doviello herself. She may be older, but she is Sabertooth.

"These half brothers of yours, what do you know of them Øvind? They seem strong enough warriors."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 am

Saeldur enters the hall from the outside, wearing a set of warm gray traveling clothes of a fine weave, but none of his furs at the moment. He nods a greeting to some of the Elk who catch his eye, but doesn't try to intrude on their celebration. He knows that many of them might consider him too exotic to properly relax around. Instead, he heads towards a group of scholars and shamans, getting himself something to eat and drink from what lies on the table. It would seem a paltry meal to the Elk, barely enough to keep a child fed. But for the elven wizard it seems enough.

"Congratulations on a great victory," he says to the men of learning in the Elk tribe. "Has there been any more word on the fate of the fleeing Doviello?"

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 am

"No, you place the left hand up here and the right over here..."

Flint Striker enters with two warriors, laughing and waving his arms in the air. Lothar and Sigrin fought side by side with the young Bear warrior for many hours the day before, and when the time came to rest the two offered a spot by the hearth. Strangers the previous morning, they are now firm friends of Flint Striker.

They are also having a little trouble with the rhythm game he is demonstrating to them. Inspired by a group of Elk children they spotted on the way to the hall playing with a leather ball, Flint Striker recalled a game of clapping and spinning he was taught as a boy. Seeing the fighter's antics proves amusing even if Lothar and Sigrin cannot master them.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Egbert comes in, he is not wearing his armor at the moment - he has left it with his spear at the healer's place. Of course, he is still wearing his large sword in the simple scabbard on his back. He looks much better today, as he has recovered from most of his injuries, though he will bear a large scar on the side of his head from now on. He is still growing a beard and has longer hair than some weeks ago. He smiles and moves lankily towards his siblings.

He has spent most of the night in the houses of healing, the elk healer insisting he should lie down and not run around all the time. Finally, he agreed and soon fell into deep dreamless sleep. Just half an hour ago he has woken, and felt very hungry, so he walked around to see if he could find something to eat.

He has come to the king's hall and also grabs some bread and cheese from the tables before joining his siblings.
"Lugus and all the gods are indeed with us, they have helped us win against the heathen barbarians. I am happy to see you all in good health, brothers and sister. This giant slave master sure gave me a pretty good knock on the head." He indicates the bandages on his head. "But I am much better now. You fought well, and I am proud to have been fighting at your side." He seems happy, gay and joins his kin to share some stories of the battle.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Lothar seems more skilled at the game of Flint Striker than Sigrin in. The Elk do the various hand movements but their wiggling causes others in the Hall to laugh at them in good cheer. "You Bear are silly folk if you all go around dancing like this," laughs Sigrin. Lothar nods, "But if they can fight half as good at Flint Striker then they are true brothers and worthy Ammurites!" The men laugh and joke a bit more with Flint getting drinks and food from the various tables.

The Shamans nod to Saeldur as he enters, and one of them turns to the Anhel, the man is recongized as Bram, the Elder Shaman of the Elk met during the funeral of former King Lolgoff. "Saeldur of the Sylvanhel, welcome. A fine victory indeed, and in no small part do to you and your companions. To see the walking tree defy Mulcarn's winter and crush his minions was a beautiful site. Perhaps if you have time you might teach me how you took on that shape?" The older man is sincere in his words. He then answers the question posed, "The Doveillo have withdrawn completely out of Elk lands, and are heading back home to lick their wounds. We have scouts and riders chasing them, picking off the stragglers and others searching for wounded and dealing with the dead they left behind. A rather large pile of them!" The men around him laugh in good spirits. "We have not had the chance to really talk, but I heard tell that the Spirit of Oroshar is also dead, yes? Truely you are all a boone to the Elk!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 pm

"Yes," Saeldur replies with a nod. "We were able to cast the tooth into the fires of the mountain and put Oroshar's spirit to rest at last. That was where we learned of the Doviello treachery. Vallenhost followed us there from the funeral and laid a trap for us. But it was he who fell, and that allowed Lehros the time he needed to warn you of the Doviello treachery. We were most fortunate." He takes a drink and continues. "As to the enchantment, I would he happy to teach what I can - though the skill required to cast such a spell cannot be taught in a day or even a month. Still, if anyone in the tribe has arcane power in their blood, I might be able to offer some guidance.
IF they have a sorcerer, I'll try and convey what I can about the spell to him or her.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Øvind nods to her mother. "Warriors or wizards," she answers, "On is a devote of Lugus, as I am Junil." She looks for Egbert in the crowd and points him out when she finds him. "The Bear, a fierce warrior," she mentions of Flint Striker, "An Elk Shaman, in addition to Saeldur, the elf, and also, a half-elf, I think. The first I met of them." Øvind draws into silence after the run down of her siblings and the Sylvanhel.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Thjodhild nods to her daughter, "It seems your blood father has left quite a legacy behind. Come I would meet them and speak to them." The older woman moves proudly through the crowd, "I am interested in the one who worships Lugus." She steers her daughter toward Egbert.

The Shaman smiles widely hearing the report from Saeldur, he was not with the king before, but remained with the forces inside the city during the attack. So he asks for more details about the battles and adventure to destroy the tooth, in particular he seem to wish to know how Amundi fared. "Tell me off the Shaman Amundi's ability. He has come of age, and his training is complete, and with this task finished there will be nothing to prevent us from keeping him from traveling if he so desires. I would know, how did he fare?"