Chapter 4 - Into the Wolf's Den

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: No More Pudding

Post by Trogdor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:34 am

"That was a terrible creation," Saeldur adds, as he catches his breath. "I can only imagine what reason compelled him to devise it. Perhaps he was mad even then." The wizard shakes his head at the thought. But bad as this encounter was for us - and it was dire indeed, as you know, Amundi - better we deal with this ice wizards banes than the Elk, who might have been less prepared, or worse, caught by surprise. for who knows what might have caused the white pudding to break its bonds and terrorize the Elk."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Amundi slowly starts to feel better at all the tending, his own prayers and healing help sooth the acid burns, and the cloak and spells keep him warm. He is helped to his feet by Egbert, "I'm better, I am alive, but..." He looks at the pudding that was once his armor, "I am sorry Saeldur, I know that armor was a relic of your people, from before the Winter, and now, now its gone." He lowers his eyes to the ground, "Perhaps I'm not worthy of such things, I would hate to have them ruined like that."

Then he nods to himself. "Brothers and Sister, I have made a choice, do not try and talk me out of it." He undoes his long white and black cloak, "I have not been worthy of these." He then pulls from his hands his pair of dragonhide bracers, "Take these, take these and use them to do our father's bidding. Please, I will feel better knowing you are all a bit safer with them."
He's going to give up his Cloak of Arachnida and his Crimson Dragonhide Bracers (oroshar)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 am

"You don't need to do that brother. You know we will always wait for you if you ever decide the Elk are fine with out you."

Lehros places his hand on his brothers shoulder and speaks quietly, he does not like to be the center of attention.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Egbert nods to his brother, Amundi. "Thank you, we will see this through. Your place is with your people now."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:09 pm

"Take them brother, please. I will sleep better knowing I have helped you in some small manner." He looks to Egbert, "I will lead the Elk to this place, we shall take it and hold it as a safe haven if you must return to it. We shall also strike back at the Doviello, keep them off balance, and distracted while you move in to strike at them. I shall see to Flint's proper burial as well."

Amundi then slips across the ice toward Flint's body, "Who will help me get Flint Striker of the Bear, Son of Kylorin, to the surface?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm

"This should be done with dignity," Saeldur says. "Egbert, will you fly Flint to the surface if I enchant you with the power of flight?"
Egbert is the strongest, right? I'll cast Fly on him and let him carry Flint up. That way there's no slipping with the body, etc.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 am

"Very well. I will do it." He holds on to Flint as he waits to be enchanted.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Final Preparations

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 am

Egbert takes up Flint's corpse, and Saeldur enchants the Mammoth Paladin with the ability to fly. Lifting off the ground and ice Egbert flies up to the higher level of the complex, into the caves. The rest follow.

You spend the next few hours back tracking to where the sled and the dogs are. It take you some time to get the sled out of the spider pit and brought into the main cave the Doviello were using. The Brantas also join you inside that chamber, a nice crackling fire you have going and you are sorting and dealing with the gear and the loot. At some point Saeldur finds himself holding two amulets, one of protection, the other of Kylorin.

The pieces of the amulet came from three different sources, Egbert had a half, given into keeping of his uncle by Kylorin. The other half was Ovinds, kept by her mother for years after Klyorin left the Sabertooth. The third was a pearl, used as a button by Lehros' Anhel mother, and carried with the Half Anhel outcast for years after fleeing his people. That little scrap of silk he always touched in his pocket to remind him of her death carried it hidden within.

It was Saeldur that took the three pieces and combined them into one powerful magical charm. He holds it now rolling it over in his fingers, wondering how to make best use of the various magical gear you now have. He sets down the protection amulet on the stone floor, and holds Kylorin's amulet in both hands. Words resonate in his head, "When you have gathered my progeny together, you shall know the circle of my legacy is complete. Then look for my final gift for you. Though you are not of my blood, you are of my heart."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: The Final Preparations

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:48 am

Saeldur looks up from his reverie, almost as if he heard a distant sound. Then his eyes narrow. Kylorin was very clever. More so than any man or elf Saeldur had ever met. He very well could have foreseen a moment such as this. Looking down at the amulet he muses that this was a tangible sign of gathering the children of Kylorin together. For the amulet couldn't have been formed until the at least three of them were brought together. Could this final gift be wrapped up in the amulet somehow?

The anhel wizard examines the amulet, looking for anything physically or magically curious about it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: The Final Preparations

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 am

Turning the amulet over and over Saeldur pauses as it is upside down in his hands. The back of the amulet is rather plain. A smooth mirror finish in fact. Looking down at the surface, really for the first time, Saeldur can just barely make out his own reflection in it. He leans in closer, his face zooming in on the bright mirror surface until only his eye is reflected back.

There is a shimmer, his image seems super imposed by another -- Kylorin's! Saeldur gasps in shock and drops the amulet on the stone floor. With a high pitched *PING* of breaking metal something cracks on the amulet, it lays face up now, sitting there dormant, apparently still in one piece.