Chapter 4 - Into the Wolf's Den

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Final Preparations

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:02 am

With an uncharacteristically shocked look on his face, Saeldur leans down to pick up the amulet. That was not my imagination, he thinks. That was Kylorin - from the present or the past, I can't tell. But he was there. Intensely curious over what this 'final gift' might be, Saeldur turns over the amulet from where it lays.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:07 am

Saeldur reaches down, a touch worried by the strange cracking sound, and certain he saw Kylorin's image. As he picks up the amulet something tells him things have changed. He holds the amulet, it seems lighter in his hand. Then leaning to the right and looking at the floor where the amulet was laying Saeldur spots a simple ring sitting on the ground, silver, with a mirror finish.

Turning the amulet over to gaze at the back the Anhel can see a missing groove, perfectly round, where that ring must have been born from. That groove was not there before, it wasn't there when the amulet was in pieces, it wasn't there just a minute ago, but it is there now, and there on the floor is the Ring of the Father.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 am

Saeldur picks up the ring, holding it in one hand while he holds the amulet in the other. The groove and the ring matched each other. No doubt the one was sealed within the other until just now. Such craftsmanship, Saeldur muses, such complexity of enchantment. It was a marvel to behold.

Then he focuses on the ring, no doubt the final gift Kylorin spoke of. Kylorin, as dear to him as his own father had been before he was lost on a far patrol. I pray to Nantosuelta that I can thank him for this in person, he says silently to himself. For even now the great Arch-Mage was imprisoned by Mulcarn, distracting the God of Winter from their task.

A tear forms in the corner of one eye. As dear as his own father. Then he reverently puts the ring on.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Ovind stands with the sled dogs, watching Saeldur with interest. She warms her hands over the large fire and then speaks up. "What is it Saeldur?"

Amundi has been packing his branta, getting ready for the trip home when he turns at Ovind's words and looks over at Saeldur. "Is everything alright?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm

"One final gift from your father," Saeldur replies, holding up his hand and showing them the ring. "It was magically embedded into Kylorin's amulet. I'm not exactly sure what triggered it's release. But it came with a message from him that it was his final gift to me." He smiles warmly at the thought. "It also made me realize that this," he holds up the amulet, "really belongs to one of you. Your father made this for you; he left the ring for me. Ovind, why don't you wear it for now. I think that would be most appropriate.
As great as it is, the Amulet of Kylorin ought to go to one of the kids. If nothing else, the slow regeneration and poison/disease immunity ought to go to someone who's more likely to get hit. Ovind seems to be the best candidate. Besides, Lehros has the staff, Egbert has that great new sword, and Saeldur has the ring. Seems appropriate that Ovind get a unique item as well.

BTW, I'm afraid that means that if there's a spare amulet of natural armor, Saeldur would like it. Does Ovind currently wear one?

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:20 am

"Our Father? What did he say?" Egbert looks nonplussed at Saeldur suddenly remembering their mission. When he offers the amulet to Ovind, he adds: "Right, go ahead, I think you should wear it."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:25 am

Saeldur replies immediately and accurately to Egbert's question. One advantage of being a wizard is that it developed your memory to a great degree. Memorizing a sentence or two on the fly was no challenge.

"He said '"When you have gathered my progeny together, you shall know the circle of my legacy is complete. Then look for my final gift for you. Though you are not of my blood, you are of my heart.'" The wizard bows his head and clears his throat - a self-conscious gesture that is very uncharacteristic for him.

"My own father was lost in a far patrol a dozen years ago," he says at last in an emotional voice. "It means a great deal that Kylorin would think of me so."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 am

"I have never met him, Kylorin I mean, and I respect him and his sacrifice. All the more I respect the man who raised me as his child. I do hope he is well...."
Egbert's thoughts drift off, then he shrugs and smiles at his siblings and Saeldur. "Anyway, what could that mean? Perhaps we should form a circle? And what is 'progeny'? It sounds vaguely sinful..."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:33 am

"It couldn't hurt," Saeldur replies. "But we should wait until Ovind puts on the amulet." He smiles. "Of course, your father could have been speaking figuratively - about me finally coming into my own as a wizard. OR he could have been referring to the ring that appeared - another circle."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 am

Lehros sits quietly watching his mentor and his exchange with his siblings."You are as much family as anyone of us." He returns to sitting quietly not used to his mentor being so emotional.