Chapter 5 - To Scale the Dragon

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: The Day Grows Old: Hidden Cave

Post by Shurijo » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Ronk listens to Brundaar's words and spends the rest of the evening and night contemplating them. The barbarian tries to relate Brundaar's stories to the stories told by the Blood Ram shamans to see if there's any connections between the tales.

Finally, the barbarian finds a wall and props himself up to give him a good view of the entrance while keeping his axe in his hand.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Next Morning

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 01, 2014 8:03 pm

With Egbert's divine power protecting the group there is no need for watches. So one by one you find a spot and fall asleep after some food. Morning arrives, and you are shocked to find you survived the night without an attack. The dawn is bright and sunny, but cold, almost colder than normal (which is saying something). Morning protections are cast and you eat and make ready to leave.
New Day
Healed up from last night, reset your stuff, rememorize things and lets go.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

The Next Morning

Post by Grimbold » Fri May 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Egbert has a look at how the ex-prisoner is armed (assuming he took some weapon from the dead Doviello). Then he prays to Lugus and packs up his things, eating some of his provisions. "Good, we are ready." he says when everyone has packed. "Let's go."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: The Next Morning

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 02, 2014 6:16 pm

He has a spear off the Doviello guards, plus the magically made items from Saeldur. Feel free to give him your extra things or whatever, just mark them off or cross them out if you plan to retake them later.
Brundaar finishes eating, he's grateful for your food and clothing, with no qualms about Saeldur's magic like Ronk might have. The Snowmask have a long history of magical shamans and the magic of the Huskarl King in their founding. "We will leave the bowl today and start the upwards climb. It will be difficult, icy, we will need rope and crampons, or another way to scale the narrow mountain trails." He glances at Saeldur wondering if the Anahel sorcerer will be able to provide the group a way to travel up the trails. "Come, this way." He leads through the snowy vale on a straight unerring path toward the ever rising walls of King's Peak that stand before you to the east like a great barrier that vanishes into the clouds.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri May 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Saeldur looks up at the tall mountain and ponders for a moment. "I could help," he says. "But it would drain a lot of my power. I might not be as much use if we run into trouble later. If we are willing to make that sacrifice, I could enchant us all to fly. Then we could fly to the top." He looks particularly at Ronk, who he suspects will not like this proposal.
If Saeldur uses both his level 2 slots and 4 of his mythic points to cast Overland Flight, then everyone could fly to the top. Of course, that's over half of his daily MPs ...

What do people think?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat May 03, 2014 1:25 am

"It would certainly catch the Doviello by surprise. I doubt they are expecting anyone to bypass their defenses and just fly in." Ovind seems cautiously optimistic about the plan.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun May 04, 2014 7:41 pm

"I could fly with my boots for a few minutes, if that helps you save some power." Egbert says. "Else we could climb up, and with my boots of flying and some rope, we should be able to get through the most difficult passages: I fly up with a rope, I guess I should be able to pull someone up, and then we continue to pull up everyone else..."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 06, 2014 5:14 am

Ronk is uneasy about flying. He studies the sorcerer for a moment and says, "Saeldur make us fly?" He's a bit taken aback by the words that it's even possible and he fears the magic which would lead them to their deaths if they were to fall from such heights - even flying is even possible.

"Ronk like ground. Ronk walk. Others can fly."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Saeldur nods at Ronk's comments. They are not unexpected. "Quite understandable, Ronk. Flying is not for everyone. In fact, it takes some time to get used to the sensation, so it's not entirely beneficial at first. Perhaps you're right and climbing is for the best." He looks at the others. I can easily allow one of you to fly, though I caution you that with the winds along the mountain, it may not be all that easy. Unless you're skilled in flying, you might be better off tied to a rope. For my part, I'll be flying. But then, I've been practicing a lot, so I'm relatively comfortable in the air.
Saeldur has +15 Fly. Is anyone else skilled in flying?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 06, 2014 9:18 pm

With Ronk's declaration that sets you on the path, at least for now. So you start up the mountain along the hidden trail that rises higher and higher up King's Peak. It will take a long time, perhaps a few days to make the climb the Snowmask says, so there is no point in delaying. The climb is long and arduous and you debate the virtues of flying more than once in the first few hours of the climb.