Chapter 8 - The Sylvanhel

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Image It had been seven long years since the abandonment of Taurlond and the beginnings of the Sylvanhel race. But at last, Iltuvar once more had faith in the future. News from the outside world was grim – and getting worse every day. Yet, the new city of Caeldanno Torothalion was finally starting to take shape. And if it could keep strong, there might yet be hope for the world. Perhaps not today; perhaps not even in his lifetime or his childrens’ lifetimes. But elves were a patient people. They would wait for the right moment to act. And when that moment arrived, they would have the tools to rebuild the world.

As he looked out across the hidden valley that formed this secret enclave, the Sylvanhel leader marveled at how much it had changed in just a few years. The Tower of the Sun and the Tower of the Moon, rising on either side of the High Hall, had finally been completed, giving their new city its heart. Lake Celambir had been stocked with what fish could be saved before the finality of winter froze every known body of water – the Goddess knew how they had gotten the fish here. And the beginnings of a small forest spread along the south rise. It would be decades before Caeldanno Torothalion had grown strong. But with the blessing, the worst was past.

Yes, the Sylvanhel had been created by Kylorin’s hand. But when the arch-mage saw them next, he – and they – would know that the Sylvanhel had thrived by their own hands. They would have the pride of knowing that they were a strong people; and he would have the knowledge that they were capable of giving aid as well as receiving it.

Finally! Sorry for the long delay! Welcome to Chapter 8. I'll make another post before you guy should.

You have just traveled from #2 to #3

Key:
1 Parth Ernil (s. Green Sward), destroyed Sylvanhel Home and Moon Gate
2 Fin-Arfinlos (House of the Summer Breeze), Valanhel Stronghold and Moon Gate
3 Caeldanno Torothalion (s. High Haven fo the Cherry Dawn), Sylvhanel Stronghold
4 Entrances to the Dwarven Homes Car'rac and Gharin-din

This is the local region, the caldera where the slyvanhel live. You are at the city Caeldanna Torothalion.

This is city itself, you are the moon gate located at #14 the Glade of Stars.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Traveling through a Moon Gate is never easy for those not used to it. In recent memory only a few of the Children have ever traveled through one, Saeldur, Lehros, and Egbert are the only ones that have been through one. Back at Parth Ernil, as the ancient elven tower was crumbling down around them, the three, with the now dead Flint, Vibrika, and Macalanios held off hordes of Frostlings as they escaped out the gate and destroyed it so it would not fall into Mulcarn's hands. This trip is far more stable, the gate is connected on both sides, unlike that time which was no more than a blink jump into the wilds. Still, it puts them off center, traveling across so much space through the dimensional door. You cross hundreds of miles in the blink of an eye. The Moon Gate is a collection of five menhir stones, arranged in a certain order, with magical runes all about them. You have stood inside the circle, and been whisked away from the Valanhel city of Fin-Arfinlos to the secret enclave of the Sylvanhel of Caeldanno Torothalion (s. High Haven of the Cherry Dawn).

You appear, some of you sick from the travel, among another circle of stones on a peaceful green sward of lawn. The five stones are glowing and crackling with magical power. Around them is a second circle of stones, also thrumming with energy. Between that second circle of stones is a magical barrier, and shield of sorts that you do not doubt will stop you from exploring outwards into the lawn.

The trip is disorienting, very much so, because after the cold and noise filled battle you stand now among a warm and peaceful lawn. There is a smell in the air, flowers, pine, and only the sound of buzzing bees as they move from flower to flower in the fields around you. It reminds you of the haven of Nantusoleta down under the Dragaon's Peak among the Nomanhel. Yet here there is bright sun on your face, and summer (or what you think summer is). This is so distracting you don't even realize a score of elven archers are poised outside the second ring of stones ready to slay any intruder into their haven.
Welcome Home Saeldur!
Something like this
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Emerging on the other side, Lehros can tell his feet are not upon stone anymore. Wincing from the brightness, he peers down and smiles, "Grass! Warmth!" Not caring for gate travel, it does not adversely affect him as it does some of his brethren. Looking around at them, still squinting from the bright light, "Everyone okay?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Saeldur weathers the trip through the Moongate better than the Children of Kylorin. He has the most experience with this sort of travel, if not by much. The wizard is a bit unsteady when the trip ends, having to take a moment to regain his balance, but he doesn't show any sign of physical discomfort. Perhaps it's his experience with such travel; perhaps the Moongates are kinder to anhel travelling through them. In fact, when Saeldur sees the grass around them and the sun above, his face takes on a look of such peace and contentment as the others have not seen on him before. For the first time in many months, he is back home in the land of his birth.

He glances around to make sure everyone made it through okay, but once certain of safe travel, he then turns his attention to the archers even now taking aim at them all. He suspects that magical defenses are being prepared as well. His immediate focus on the guards of the Moongate shows that he fully expected them to be there.

"<Anhel> I am Saledur Finloss," he declares in a loud voice. "Commissioned by the Arch-Mage Kylorin on an undertaking of great importance. I have returned with news of Fin-Arfinlos and a need to consult with the Council of Wisdom about a matter of much concern. I travel with others who are vital to the task for which I was sent into the outside world."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Ovind stumbles once they 'land' at their destination, then falls to one knee. Her greatclub makes an indentation in the soft earth when it hits, and the relatively new green veins in the weapon pulse when they contact the living ground. It takes her a long moment before she can regain her balance, and lever herself upright.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Ronk falls to his knees with his great axe in hand. Heaving and coughing, his head spins and his stomach churns. Whatever food that entered his body in Valanhel city of Fin-Arfinlos has been deposited in the grassy enclave of the Sylvanhel of Caeldanno Torothalion.

Hoping to purge himself of any remnants of the sorcery, the barbarian continues to vomit and purge himself of any substance. Spitting and shaking his head, he tries to regain his balance. Placing his axe handle on the ground, he shifts from all fours to a kneeling position so that he can get a better view of their surroundings.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Grimbold emailed me, he should be returning to us soon. Had some troubles recently.
Egbert steps out of the magical field better than most, his strong will and strong constitution keeps him upright.He is making the sign of Junil as he appears on the green grass and smiles. "Come Ronk, don't tell me a little magical travel over thousands of miles would put a man like you down on his knees!?" He has a smirk on his face, and will never repeat what it did to him the first time he took a Moongate."

The Sylvanhel guards are moving an ready as you arrive, but Saeldur calls out his heritage and mission and they hold their fire. One among them strides forward, slinging his bow over his back and moving down among the ring of stones, "<Anhel? Saeldur Finloss? As I live and breath I never thought I would see you again. Welcome brother, welcome home, a star shines brightly on our meeting!" He moves around the rock and you take in the visage of a noble elf. He bears a great likeness to the leaders of the Nomanhel; he is ageless, timeless, beautiful and fair. There is peril in his eyes, and a depth of sorrow that nearly makes you cry on gazing at him. He ignores most of you and strides down to Saeldur, his red cloak floats behind him, and his perfectly polished leather armor shimmers in the light of the fading Moongate. He strides up to Saeldur and wraps his arms around him am embrace.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:35 pm

"<Anhel> Caranthir!" Saeldur exclaims. "I hoped I'd find you here." He returns the embrace. "It's been too long!" He shakes his head, but is smiling.

"There were times," he adds, "that I thought I'd never be back again. But we have much to report. Kylorin's plans have begun to come to fruition." He doesn't mention the details of the plan. Not that the guardians of the Moongate couldn't be trusted. It was just that secrecy was a way of life to a community that lived in the shadows. He knows, however, that Caranthir will be aware of the reasons for his departure, so he adds, "these are some of the people I was sent to find. They are Ovind, Egbert, Ronk, and Lehros." He introduces each of his companions in turn.

"<Common> But please, for their benefit, let's speak the human tongue."

"Everyone," he says to the children of Kylorin, "this is an old and dear friend, Caranthir, the Warden of the Moongate."

"We have come here for information to aid our quest," Saeldur continues, turning back to his friend. "But I fear we also bring bad tidings. Fin-Arfinlos has suffered a major attack. The main enemy, a dracolich of immense power, was defeated. But it's uncertain whether the city will be able to hold against the remaining Frostling forces. It was as large an attack as I've ever heard of. We departed though the Moongate before the end, since we didn't dare lose our chance." He doesn't have to say that the Moongate would be destroyed if there was any danger of it falling into enemy hands. "You know our quest is too important. But it was all I could do to leave the city to its fate without fighting to the death to defend it."

"Be aware that some may follow us if things take a turn for the worse. And the link to Fin-Arfinlos may potentially be lost." He shakes his head and looks somber, "As I said, bad tidings."

"But there's so much more to tell, though," Saeldur adds. "We've encountered Nantosuelta, the Nomanhel have returned, my father's body has disappeared, and we've recovered some caelthorn pods - I remember your sorrow that they were all lost when Winter fell." The wizard shakes his head as he pauses his report. "I'm sorry if I'm babbling. It's just so good to be home."

Then he takes a deep breath and recollects himself. "We'll need to meet with the Council of Wisdom as soon as it's practical," he says. "As you can see, we have much to report."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

Egbert greets Caranthir with a short bow. He is relieved when they start talking in the common tongue. For now, he listens and says nothing.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Lehros stands in a bit of awe as the near to perfect Caranthir strides closer and engages Saeldur in conversation. He, like the others nod as they are introduced and stands quietly unless spoken to.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"