Issue 1: Origin Stories

Commerce City, glorious American beacon of business and model metropolis for the world, is under the constant threat of supervillains. The police are either too helpless, incompetent, or smart to oppose the dastardly madmen (and madwomen) that would unleash havoc on the lives of the millions of commuters that call the city their home. Are there any heroes that will heed the call and defend Commerce City for free.

This game is run on the Risus system.GM: Deadman
Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Issue 1: Origin Stories

Post by Deadman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Billiards Boy
Magic Pool Equipment (3): 5 + 4 + 1 = 10

Girl
Sonic Keyboard (4): 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 = 10 Tie! Your dice are safe.

Let's see how effective your sweet talking was.

Womanizer (2): 4 + 6 = 10 Pretty darn effective. She's not giving up the fight yet but she'll hear you out.
The massive billboard crashes behind Billiards Boy, shattering the sidewalk. It groans and falls back to lean against the side of the building.

"Oh..." says the girl. "I could have sworn you wrote it on paper because you had just impressed me with all those crude napkin drawings. But you must have written it on your hand. So you're Billiards Boy? I go by Midi now. What're you doing with these losers?"
It's The Butcher's turn and that'll end the round.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:12 pm

The Butcher stands up shakily, a hand steadying him against the wall. "Ow," he groans.

Looking up at the strong man (apparently, Strongman), he decides to use this opponent's bulk against him. A quick glance downward creates a thin, viscous patina of pate de foie gras beneath the villain's feet.

Then the Master of Meat stumbles backward, luring the oaf into pursuit.
Meat-Based Superhero cliche

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Meat Vision (4-1): 4 + 2 + 5 = 11

Strongman
Invulnerable-ish (3): 4 + 5 + 6 = 15 He resists harm.
Strongman slips on the thin film of deliciousness and topples backwards upon his skull with a force that would kill a lesser man. Instead the asphalt actually cracks and dents where his head landed. Lying on his back Strongman stares up unblinkingly into the heavens, but seems injured. He utters something with a fearsome rumble:

"Cloud...look like bunny."
It's a new combat round! Everyone has their turn anew. I'll give Hotstuff a chance to attack first this time.

If you haven't noticed the bad guys have the same cliche levels as you so it's a pretty even match, except they outnumber you by one. Remember that you can combine your actions, and earn positive modifiers that way. Also don't forget you can attempt to recover lost dice.

BTW, You now know the handles of all your enemies:

Car Bomb
Strongman
Midi
Monkey Business
Robotarm
Last edited by Deadman on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:38 pm

The Butcher, eager to press this momentary advantage, glances at his hand to produce some delicious emu jerky, which he walks over to offer the confused Strongman.

"Truce?" The Butcher says, offering the dried bird like an olive branch and using his most sincere timbre to lull the dazed behemoth into a sense of security and hopefully take him out of the fight.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am

"Charade, can you somehow heat up the robot arm? Then I can hit him harder." The Spark is ready for Charade to act and then unleashes Megavolts at the cyborg.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Billards Boy focuses on charming the young woman Midi, an eye on Monkey Business however. "Well, after all those drude drawings on the napkin, I didn't think it was right to put such a nice girl's number on a page with those kind of drawings. I mean, you know," he forces a blush to come to his cheaks, ", it wouldn't have been right to have your number share a page with those terrible drawing." He strides forward, the cue in hand, sort of like a shield against any incoming bananas. Looking back at the other guys he replies to the girls question, "Oh these guys? They aren't so bad, good music, good food, and party games. Its really a good time with good people. Tell me..." drum roll "What's a nice girl like you doing in a bad group of villans like these?"
Womanizing
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:44 pm

The Butcher
Radio Personality (4): 3 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 9

Strongman
Dumb Thug (3): 5 + 5 + 6 = 16 It seems that he's not open to kind words.

Radio personality cliche down to 3.
Strongman sits up and takes the emu jerky. He chews it and ponders something. "Thing...I supposed to say...."

He squints as he tries to remember. "Uuuurrrrrr....thanks."

Strongman then realizes something else. "Thing I supposed to do...uurrrrrr. Punch!"

Oh not again. The Butcher takes another blow to the chest and goes flying backwards.

----

As the Butcher continues to get tenderized Billiards Boy is busy playing easy to get.
5 + 2 = 7 It's not going to make her stop fighting, but she'll pick a target other than you.
"Oh you know. Mayhem, vengeance against an uncaring world, chaos, same old same old. Mr. Roboto is a huge fan of Cue Ball's work, ever think about playing pool for the other side? Oh, one second."

Midi presses a few keys and and a sonic wave caused by Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" blasts the wall above Charade's head. Bricks rain down towards the enchantress!
Midi
Sonic Keyboard (4): 1 + 5 + 3 + 6 = 15 is the number to beat.
She turns back to Billiards Boy. "What was I saying? Oh yeah, ever consider it?"
Tip: When defending against high rolls by enemies a good strategy is to defend with your lesser cliches. Rather than risk your 4d6 cliche sometimes its better to willingly sacrifice one die of your 2d6 cliche, and keep the high roll preserved for your attacks.

Your character remains unbeaten as long as every cliche has at least 1 die left. A 4d6 3d6 2d6 1d6 hero might remain more effective as 4d6 1d6 1d6 1d6 than 2d6 2d6 2d6 1d6.

Also, you can heal yourselves and your allies on your turn. Just figure out a way one of your cliches can improve one of their cliches.

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:45 am

Sorry Grimbold I don't think I could've helped you out with that robot arm thing - my turn was up? I'm in defense mode now...
Charade is almost overly interested in the interaction between Billiards and the keyboard wielding Midi. As the sonic boom crashes above her Charade pinwheels her arms to keep her balance. Catching sight of the bricks she shoots her hand in the air grasping an invisible block and crouches down seemingly placing it neatly before her on the ground.
She continues to furiouslyly snatch at the empty air and then stack the invisible objects before her. Sweating with the effort she hopes one of her friends catches on quick - one of those to her head and she could be out of commission quickly.
Wall of Brick
Conjuration (Creation) [Earth]
Level: Clr 5, Drd 6, Earth 5, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Stone wall whose area is up to one 5-ft. square/level (S)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No
This spell creates a wall of brick that merges into adjoining surfaces. A wall of brick is 1 brick thick per two caster levels and composed of up to one 5-foot square per level. You can double the wall's area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.
Unlike a wall of iron, you can create a wall of brick in almost any shape you desire. The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing solid structure. It can be used to bridge a chasm, for instance, or as a ramp. For this use, if the span is more than 20 feet, the wall must be arched and buttressed. This requirement reduces the spell's area by half. The wall can be crudely shaped to allow crenellations, battlements, and so forth by likewise reducing the area.
Like any other stone wall, this one can be destroyed by a disintegrate spell or by normal means such as breaking and chipping. Each 5-foot square of the wall has 15 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8. A section of wall whose hit points drop to 0 is breached. If a creature tries to break through the wall with a single attack, the DC for the Strength check is 20 + 2 per inch of thickness.
It is possible, but difficult, to trap mobile opponents within or under a wall of stone, provided the wall is shaped so it can hold the creatures. Creatures can avoid entrapment with successful Reflex saves.
Arcane Material Component: As little as a single brick.

Charade hopes that it will extend past her fellow supers and provide cover against additional attacks
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 pm

I think after defending, you can also attack. No problem.
"You want to build something?"

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Silent Sorceress (4): 1 + 3 + 5 + 4 = 13 Fail by two! Silent sorceress cliche down to 3.
Charade strains to project her magic across all the bricks. Strange shapes start forming in the falling mass, making them look like tetris blocks. With horror Charade realizes that there's too many falling to bond quick enough. She abandons catching them all and instead just tries crafting a small shelter for herself.

A small brick gazebo protects her from a deadly rain that flattens four nearby cars and a newspaper box. She steadies herself with one hand on a brick post, exhausted.
Charade still has her turn since that was a purely defensive action. As a rule you get one defensive action per attack aimed at you, and one chance to do something of your own. That can be an attack, an attempt to heal yourself or an ally, assisting someone else somehow, set up some kind of plan for a subsequent turn, or trying to earn yourself a bonus somehow. There are always alternatives to attacking, and often it's the only way to swing the odds in your favor. Otherwise you're normally just making opposed rolls and pure luck decides who comes out on top.

You can combine your action with a defensive action if you choose. For example you could have simultaneously defended against Midi and attacked her by flinging the bricks in her direction.