Madness at the Meg

Commerce City, glorious American beacon of business and model metropolis for the world, is under the constant threat of supervillains. The police are either too helpless, incompetent, or smart to oppose the dastardly madmen (and madwomen) that would unleash havoc on the lives of the millions of commuters that call the city their home. Are there any heroes that will heed the call and defend Commerce City for free.

This game is run on the Risus system.GM: Deadman
Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Madness at the Meg

Post by Deadman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 pm

The city bus drops Boozehound and Kaiser off at the Meg, a giant classical building of stately marble columns right on the park. Nothing seems to be amiss, the weekday crowd of tourists mingling in and out of the museum up the tall steps.

A fluffy white poodle with a gold bell on its collar comes up to the duo.
"King Dieter, Baron Sniffles at your service."

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Madness at the Meg

Post by sempai » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 pm

Kaiser whines
We heard there was trouble can you fill us in?

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:19 pm

The poodle yaps shrilly.
I was being walked in the park when I heard a loud noise of twisting metal. Of course my owner didn't hear anything. I broke free to explore and found a grate on the ground ripped off and crumbled besides the opening. It looks like a spillage tunnel, and it probably leads close underneath the museum. Then I heard some gunshots from inside the museum, but they were underground and I don't think any humans heard them. Let me show you.
Sniffles leads the man and dog into the park and into some bushes a few yards behind the museum. As he said, there's an opening and a squished up metal ball that was once a steel grate. Kaiser notices an odd tang in the air, a sharp metallic scent similar to the one caused by Charade's spells.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:34 pm

As Boozehound and Kaiser examine the opened grate behind the museum Blue Boomerang leaps out of a nearby Underway entrance. He doesn't see any other heroes here and nothing seems to be wrong. Hopefully his vision told the truth. He'd hate to have come to the Meg for no reason when an emergency is unfolding at Ball Point.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Boozehound and kaiser investigate the grounds, Kaisers Nose on full alert he tries to track down the "metallic smell"

kaiser growls majestically
thank you for your information sniffles, your help is much appreciated, anything else?
perhapse he can smell boomerang?
they head towards the sewer entrance, eyes and ears open... well at least kaisers.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Smelling Blue Boomerang from this far away is tricky. It's the equivalent of several blocks, behind a giant building, with hundreds of other people to smell as well.

4 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 14

One short.
Kaiser sniffs the air briefly, thinking he smells something familiar before dismissing it and leaping into the grate. Boozehound is unwilling to drop down but Baron Sniffles headbutts the drunk's ankle, knocking him into the cramped tunnel below. From the surface the poodle barks down at them:
"Good luck sire! I know you will be able to right things! My owner, Mrs. Dabernathy is a patron of the museum and she would be most distressed if any misfortune befell their collection."
Kaiser fits comfortably inside, but Boozehound is forced to crawl on all fours. Fortunately it's not a waste sewer, but just a drainage tunnel for the park. There's no filth down here worse than rotting leaves and dirt. It leads in two directions but one of them runs away from the museum, the other alongside it.

----

Blue Boomerang has no idea his alcoholic ally is nearby, and no hard evidence that anything is even wrong, but despite those doubts as he stares at the front door he can't shake the strong feeling that something sinister is occurring at the museum, more important to stop than whatever is happening at Ball Point.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 pm

The Blue Boomerang exits the subway station onto the street and surveys the situation...

Nothing really going on...

Not knowing if any of the other heroes know anything about what's going on he takes the makeshift bullroarer and begins spinning it right next to the exit to the subway station, in his urgency not thinking to see if the area around him is completely clear.

He keeps spinning it hoping it will emit the low droning sound he was going for and signal the other supers to come here.
I like pie.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Getting a dog to hear it isn't hard. Kaiser will hear it if it's a ten. Having it carry across a busy city to be heard by supers in the middle of another battle is difficult. It'll take a twenty to reach them this way. Let's see how it goes.

Boomerang (4): 1 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 11 Barely made it.
Boomerang whips his boomerang on a string around in circles, creating a loud doppler influenced VHWuuum VHWuum sound. All the passerbys near the museum shoot the brightly dressed man making loud noises an odd look.

Kaiser hears the noise from inside the tunnel, coming from the street on the other side of the museum. "VHWuuuum VHWuuuum."

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Kaiser tilts his head to one side, and wimpers
thank you sniffles if you seen any of the other silly human want to be heros dressed funny, please send out a howl-alert"

kaiser scouts ahead charging down the tunnel nose on high beam.

Boozehound on all fours is not happy in the tunnel, bonking his head, getting his dirty uniform even dirtier, he stays put waiting for kaisers report.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Sniffles leaves Boozehound and Kaiser and starts heading back to his master's penthouse. Curious at what's causing the strange noise he walks in front of the museum and spots the Australian themed hero. One of King Dieter's allies, he must tell him about the tunnel!

Blue Boomerang sees a white poodle run at him from out of Convenient Park and bark at him. "Yip yap! Yip! Yip!"

An obese woman pushing 50, wearing an expensive black gown and pearls waddles up and snaps a leash on the poodle. "Sniffles, how dare you run away from mommykins like so! Bad dog! I'm sorry, he's normally just a good little baby." The rather unattractive matron flutters her eyelashes to flirt at the handsome hero.

Sniffles strains at his leash and continues yapping at Blue Boomerang. "Yip yip yip!"
Blue Boomerang can draw whatever conclusions you think he would from that. If he'd be curious about the dog he might find the tunnel. If you think he'd ignore it the most obvious way to explore the museum is simply by walking inside through the front doors.
---

Meanwhile Kaiser ventures deeper into the tunnel. After going about twenty yards he finds a hole in the side of the tunnel, seemingly bored right into the bedrock beneath the museum as if by a giant drill. Stone chips and dust are scattered everywhere. the tunnel continues onward but this fork seems recently made. It's clearly not meant to be here.