Prelude: A Good Man is Hard to Find

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Prelude: A Good Man is Hard to Find

Post by Grimbold » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am

Melvan Ferny has been carrying around crates for his master, Brano Buckingsworth, an important Bree merchant, all morning. Melvan is Brano's brawns and does a lot of odd jobs for him.

This summer has been really hot, and Melvan is sweating hard. As always, he keeps his short swords close to him.

Just then, Melina, a hobbit maid, runs up to him: "Melvan, the master wants to see you!"
Welcome Melvyst to the game! Post away!

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Prelude: A Good Man is Hard to Find

Post by Melvyst » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Let's see if i get into it :)
Wondering what his masters wants from him, Melvan puts down the last crate. As he wipes of the sweat on his forehead he asks Melina: " What does he want ?"
Not expecting a real answer Melvan gets ready to go back to Brano.
ok, first post... It still takes me a lot of time to actually translate the things I mean to do from german into english, but I hope it's understandable. I guess after the 500th post I'll start to think in english and no longer in german :)

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 am

A good online dictionary is:
http://dict.leo.org/
Melina shrugs. "I don't know. Sorry, I have to go and prepare lunch." Mostly, the likeable brown haired hobbit, Melina Mistlestick, works in the kitchen. Melvan has often chatted with her in the evenings and they have shared many a joke.

Of course, as many strangers and sinister people have come to or through Bree in the last year, the merry times have been shorter and shorter. Strange times, indeed.

Rumor has it that groups of dark, stooped men meet in Bill Ferny's house.

Melvan is happy that he no longer lives there and looks at the back entrance of Brano's house. His office is on the second floor.

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:11 pm

As Melina turns around Melvan sadly looks after here until she's out of sight. "We used to have a lot of fun together, now we barely see each other..."
Focusing on Brano's call, he looks up to the window.
must i implicitly perform a perception action or would i automatically seen any suspicious situation trough the window? (assuming there is one :))
Wondering if the call has something to do with the latest rumors about Bill, Melvan steps into the entrance and makes his way up to Brano's Buro.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Melina, the hobbit, walks off, leaving Melvan to his thoughts. Melvan peers up to the office but cannot see a lot. He exits the courtyard and climbs up the stairs.
Melvan knocks on Brano's office door and soon hears a "Come in" so he enters.
The office is a mess, as always, papers, pens, ink, books, and samples of goods all strewn about the room and the desk.

Brano Buckingsworth is a middle aged human, about 50, with balding grey hair and expensive clothes. He is a merchant of different goods, pipeweed from the Shire, steel and weapons from the dwarf mines of the Blue Mountains, arts and crafts from Dunland and some more exotic things from further south, even from Gondor. Some deliveries of pipeweed have also gone south.
Melvan knows this is a tough man, bargaining hard and mostly interested in financial gain, but he is also fair and keeps his word. He has his sense of honor and expects a lot from his employees but treats them well and pays them fairly. He will try to profit from each and everyone but keeps his dealings honest.

Brano looks up at Melvan. He is sitting at his desk. Obviously, he is angry.

"Sit down!" he says.

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm

"Why is he so angry? It wouldn't be because I drop one of the crates this morning?" Expecting a rebuke Melvan feels that it would be the best to quietly sit down and listen to what Brano has to say.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:12 pm

After a few seconds, Brano starts talking: "It's the third attack in a month. Those bloody bandits have taken my wares. Two weeks ago, a shipment of steel, last week, a wagon full of dwarven longswords and axes, and now, a shipment of the best pipeweed from the Shire bound south. And this time, they killed my driver and two guards! Bloody muggers! They cannot be seen, they cannot be tracked, they attack and disappear again like ghosts. Alas, they have also attacked travellers, other merchants, last week they even killed a hobbit hunter."He leans toward Melvan. "You need to help me. You are a strong and healthy chap, you might be able to do it."

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Agitated about the heard news Melvan stands up, "Listen Brano, you'll always have been like a father to me. Of course I will help you and do anything to stop those bloddy muggers!"

Excited about an upcoming adventure Melvan quickly agrees to the proposition.
Uncertain about how things may become he adds " Would you like me to guard the next shipment? ... eh .. alone?"

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 pm

"No, first of all we need information. I can tell you what I know. But you must keep it to yourself. Agreed?"

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 am

Melvan eagerly nods in agreement.