Prelude: A Hidden Path

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Prelude: A Hidden Path

Post by Grimbold » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:31 am

"The master of the house was an elf-friend - one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History, the wars of the evil goblins and the elves and the first men in the North. In thise days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief. He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer. (...) His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley."

The summer of 3010 is one of the hottest in recent years. Velethahl has been training with the elves of Rivendell for a few months now, not getting out of this haven very often. Several times he has been on scouting missions under the leadership of Inglor Tawarion, a Sinda ranger, and once even with Elladan and Elrohir, Elrond's sons.

Inglor is his captain and mentor. The Sinda is tall and fair-haired but often unusually somber for an elf. Most of the time he wears studded leather and uses his longsword, but he does know something about stealth and the art of the bow.

Rivendell is comprised of several buildings, the largest one is "The House of Elrond" with the great halls and the chambers for the elf lords. Other building include stables, a large smithy with a large underground complex and other buildings, one of which Velethahl has his private chamber.

Velethahl is practicing with his bow in the courtyard when Inglor comes up to him.
Welcome Galen to the game! This thread is for Velethahl and only him. Post away!

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Prelude: A Hidden Path

Post by Galen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 pm

"Good morning, Inglor. Have you come to practice your skills as well?"
Velethahl draws another arrow and takes aim at the target.
"It is a beatiful day for it, if a little warm. I will have to see about taking a swim later to cool off."

Velethahl lets the arrow fly and watches it towards the target. He then lowers his bow and turns to Inglor.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:14 pm

"Good day, Velethahl. Good to see you up this early in the morning." He is wearing his armor and his Gondolin longsword. "Alas, the tidings are not good. Let us sit down and I shall tell you what I know." Inglor looks a bit worried.

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Galen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Velethahl quickly gathers his trainig gear and sits down with Inglor.

"Well, what ill news have have you to pass on today. My stay here has been pleasant thus far, I suppose it can not simply stay as such. Troubles amass in this world one after another and it falls to us to keep vigilante."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Inglor sits down on one of the elegantly carved benches and speaks: "We have news of problems near Bree. Bandits. I know, there are always bandits, but these seem more organized than others. I sense a darker plot behind all this. And they pose a problem for the Dúnadan Rangers, our allies. Most of the rangers are in the north, fighting orcs and keeping us safe, their Chieftain Arathiorn is here in Rivendell planning the moves against the orcs. And his son and heir is in the far south fighting in other wars. You see, we need to send someone out to help and find out what is happening and do something about it. The only ranger in the region is a young man whose name I do not know. Find him and help him!"

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Galen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 pm

Velethahl wasn't sure whether or not he should be excited about his new assignment. He had grown to enjoy the comforts of Rivendell. The food and entertainment far surpassed anything he was acustomed to back home, and unlike the smaller elven communities Rivendell itself was a safe haven from the orc incursions.
On the other hand he had never been to Bree. The thought of meeting new people and seeing new sites did intrigue him. In addition, finding a ranger would be a welcome test of his abilities. Staying in Rivendell too long would inevitably make him lose his edge.

"I will do as I am bidden. I have little to pack and can be off before days end if that is advisable. If there is any other information on this ranger or the bandits themselves I would relish to hear it before my departure." Velethahl paused. "I hope this ranger is not trying to avoid detection. The Dunadain have a reputation of not being found when they so choose."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:47 pm

"I am sure your elven eyes will spot what is necessary. Time is essential. We do not know how much damage these people will do before they can be stopped. If you are in need of support on the way, you might find Halbarad, one of the ranger captains in the Amon Sal region. If there is any equipment you need, just tell me. I am afraid I cannot provide you with a horse though. Unfortunately I cannot give you any other support as our forces are drawn apart. An evil presence was lurking in Southern Mirkwood and the White Council is expected to meet in but a few months. Come to me just before you leave. Prepare yourself now." Inglor smiles supportingly, giving hope and trust to the young elf.

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Galen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Rushing to collect his things, Velethahl detoured quickly to say farwells to the friends he had made since arriving. He liked to travel light and packed little more than his bow, swords, and supplies for that trip. Velethahl also donned his leathers for the roads were dangerous and he had become used to traveling in them.
As far as equipment goes, will they supply me with rations. Do elves usually use bedrolls? And do I have coin I can take?
In a short time Velethahl was ready to meet back up with Inglor.
"I have prepared for my travel. All I need is to collect some rations for my journey as hunting would slow me down overly much. I shall head for Amon Sul. If I make contact with Halbarad so be it, but I will not dally there and I shall shortly make my way to Bree with help or no."

Velethahl bows to his superior. "Thank you for honoring me with your trust. I will find a way to bring positive resolution to this task."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:16 am

Inglor bows back: "I am indeed sorry that we cannot supply you with more or that I cannot join you myself. I am bound for the north to keep Cameth Brin safe from orc attacks. Be careful, you have a long and dangerous journey before you. May the Valar bless you and Elbereth be with you always!"

Velethahl packs up his rations and the rest of his equipment and starts on his way, first crossing the small river that flows through Rivendell and then moving on to the ford of the Bruinen. He splashes throught he fresh mountain water and then the path begins climbing upward through forested lands.
You can get enough trail rations for two weeks, it is good food, but no Lembas. Elves do not mind cold very much and they need to meditate about four hours per day - they do not need to sleep. They can travel about 16 hours per day under extreme circumstances. So you do not need a bedroll. They mostly sit down cross-legged to meditate.
Last edited by Grimbold on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Galen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:15 am

Velethahl kept an eye out as he traveled. He didn't expect any problems this close to Rivendell, but he wanted to stay in the habit as the lands would be getting wilder.
maps weren't working but I know the basic geography. My only question is if there are actual roads/trails or just travel through wilderness?
Always enjoying time alone, Velethahl felt at ease not having to worry about others. His step was light, and his mind was clear as he made his way over the countryside.