Book One: All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Return from the Bandit Fortress

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 pm

The hobbit shrugs stoically. "Ordinarily I'd be staying away from fighting anything, but no point in running away if these things are just going to keep on causing trouble. Besides, they killed my pony and stole my goods. There needs to be some sort of reckoning. I'm behind you on this one."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:33 pm

The party decide to try and ambush the messenger first, before assaulting the fort. The rest of the day is spend scouting, and they find out more about their foes. The fort is in the middle of a forest north of the marshes. The land is flat, but the forest is thick. The area around the fort has been cleared of trees and there is some kind of main path leading north from the standing stone to the fort. This is the way probably the messenger will take.

Tracks suggest they patrol the area, but only the proximity of their hideout. At night, it would be a larger group of Arauruk, and during the day, smaller groups of 2 or three humans patrol the "premises". The companions can even find some tracks of a troll, but they are at least a week old.
I will give you a few more days for posting, and if I do not hear any other plans, I will set up an ambush on the path to the fort.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Scouting the area Vardanil spots the troll tracks, "Troll. Old however, a week perhaps. We better be careful none the less." Figuring out the patrol raidus of the fort guards the group should do their best to stay out of it and away from the patrols for now.

Looking for a good place to ambush the messanger, Varndail will seek a place with good cover for the archers, and clear terrain for the melee fighters to charge down on.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Setting up an ambush

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 pm

As no movement of the bandits inside the fort indicate any sign of a messenger, it seems reasonable to attack the messenger first. Two places look good for an ambush, if the messenger comes along the path from the south.
One place is a winding path in the middle of a thick forest, the other is on more rocky ground, with less trees and more rocks, right where the path leads over a small old wooden bridge over a small creek. The companions need to decide now where they want to set up the ambush.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Setting up an ambush

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 pm

"The bridge provides a choke point, and the rocks cover to hide behind." He considers, "The trees however probably make for better cover, but with no bridge to choke them at or to fake a toll collection." He considers.
Can we hide archers behind the rocks?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 pm

The rocks can nicely provide cover for archers. Thus, the companions set up an ambush at the rocky bridge.
Map will be up on Monday.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 am

The companions plan their strategy.
Notes: I have set you up as I think it might work. But you do have time to choose your locations. Vardanil (V) and Gorin are behind a rock near the bridge, the others (E for elf=Velethahl) in the forest in the North, while Aegmoth and Beremund are in the east.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Sorry guys, hectic last week at work due to it being a shorter week.
Gorin crouches behind the rock and waits patiently. The dwarf doesn't bother looking back at all knowing he'll likely hear the messenger coming and doesn't want to give away his hiding spot should they come down the road now.

"I think this'll work." Gorin comments. "Though yer two friends seem a bit far off from the road for my liking."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Vardanil agrees with Gorin, "If they come closer however we risk the bandits seeing them. They will have to close in on the rear as fast as they can. You and I can stopper the bridge from this side as the others fire down on them." He glances around and whistles over to the two ranger, and points further to the west. He mouths the words "Can you get closer?"

He draws Ithilnar silently watching for signs of their prey.
Agreed, they seem a bit FAR East, what about moving them further west, or even in the patch of tree ssouth of the 'ruined tower' so they can cut off the retreat better? Not sure how dense the foliage is. I'm also assumign the messanger will be heading North (top) from the bottom of the map. Otherwise I'm good with it.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:21 am

The two rangers move closer, hiding in a patch of trees south of the ruined tower. They both draw their bows. Just about half an hour later, hoofsteps can be heard from the south. Someone is coming.