Book One: At the Sign of the Prancing Pony

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Book One: At the Sign of the Prancing Pony

Post by Grimbold » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Two figures, a tall man and a shorter dwarf roam the streets of Bree. The sun is starting to set and a lot of folk can be seen about. They soon arrive at the main entrance to the famous Prancing Pony Inn.
Last edited by Grimbold on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book One: At the Prancing Pony

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Vardanil leaves through the back door and is careful not to be seen at first, both to protect Brano in case the man is in danger, and to protect himself in case Brano is a villian here so people don't associate him with the merchant. Once on the main streets he looks at Gorin, "I'm not sure about you Master Dwarf, but I do not fully believe anything that man has said to us. I am uncomfortable about anyone claiming the Rangers, who I know to be good men and woman, to be villians here. Yet he may be duped like many others and I hope for his sake this is the case." He licks his lips, "I am parched, come, lets find this wagon driver and have a drink." He then moves through Bree around the streets to the Sign of the Prancing Pony. He's been to Bree enough times in his youth to not get lost on the way there. Heading under the arch into the courtyard of the Pony and then climbing up the few steps to the main door he pushes it open and heads into the most famous Inn in all of Eriador, hood pulled up, sword hidden under his cloak, and senses taking in all he sees, hears and smells.

A rumbling stomach suggets some food with the ale would be a good idea.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Book One: At the Prancing Pony

Post by Nate » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:19 am

"Bah, I could see somebody fakin' being a ranger. They're normally an elusive bunch, and don't really go aroun' talkin' t' others. That or I could see that Brano fellow takin' his own shipments, an' a few others to drive up his prices..." Gorin states as he walks alongside the other man towards the tavern.

"I think whatever the answer we may have'ta be waitin' till we find some bandits on the road."

Grimbold

Re: Book One: At the Sign of the Prancing Pony

Post by Grimbold » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:04 pm

"Even from the outside the inn looked a pleasant house to familiar eyes. It had a front on the Road, and two wings running back on land partly cut out of the lower slopes of the hill, so that at the rear the second-floor windows were level with the ground. There was a wide arch leading to a courtyard between the two wings, and on the left under the arch there was a large doorway reaches by a few broad steps. ... Above the arch there was a lamp, and beneath it swung a large signboard: a fat white pony reared up on its hind legs. Over the door was painted in white letters: THE PRANCING PONY by BARLIMAN BUTTERBUR."
The two companions enter the inn, and the smell of ale and wine hit them. Due to the early hour, there are not as many customers here as there will surely be later.

The proprietor, a middle aged man called Butterbur, is standing behind a counter, filling glasses of beer for the customers.

There are several tables with a varied clientele here. At one table, there are a group of four dwarves sticking their heads together whispering something. A group of Southerners occupies a second table, sitting back and relaxing after a day of travelling. A lone man in simple clothes is sitting alone at one of the tables with a large mug of ale. A large company of hobbits have put together two tables and are sitting around them chatting merrily. Another table is occupied by two tall men in worn traveller's clothes smoking pipeweed. A few rugged local men are sitting at the last occupied table, discussing latest news and rumors in hushed voices.

One of the hobbits starts a song and the other small folk join in.

Barliman Butterbur looks at Gorin and Vardanil and asks: "Welcome to the Prancing Pony. What can I get you sirs?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 pm

"Well take a few ales, and a quite table." Vardanil points at a table near the two men smoking the pipeweed. "We'll be over there, our coin is good." He pats the counter with a gloved man and inhales the smell of the tavern, the mix of ale and smoke is a stragely comforting aroma. The Ranger moves though the room and lets his broach show for a moment to the two men at the same smoking pipe weed. His hopes is if they are Rangers they might notice and contact between the Dunedain can begin.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 pm

"Aye," The Dwarf says seconding the other mans order. "An' I could use a plate o' somethin' as well."

Gorin looks over at the table of dwarves, which he'd like to join, but until the work they have is finished he'll have to wait.
Do we have any cash? I know I sent a small list of gear over, but I don't think we ever mentioned coin.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 am

The innkeeper shows them a table and gets them some drinks. One of the smokers nods to Vardanil and signals with a sign of his fingers to wait. The two can see that some of the locals are slipping glances at the two men and more whispering arises. Clearly, the locals are not happy about these men.

A short bit later Barliman Butterbur brings a plate of bread, ham, and cheese to the table and the food smells and tastes delicious. The hobbit song is over and the continual murmur of hushed voices fills the room again.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 am

"It would seem the town don't think to well o' yer friends." Gorin comments quietly, noting the way folks are looking at the two men at the table. "Though can't say as I blame'em if someone's lyin' about who's robbin' th' shipments roun' here."

Gorin reaches to the plate, and grabs a large piece of ham, and some of the bread. Eager to rid his mind of the trial rations he had been eating until now, he moves the food quickly into his mouth, and drinks deeply from the mug of ale brought to the table.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Vardanil puts what coins he has on the table for the food and drink. A barely perceptable nod to the two men is all he offers, and keeps his attention on the room. "You have a keen eye Master Dwarf, tell me, what sort of business is your family in?" He's atleast partially away that dwarves take pride in their family, and he desides if he's working with Gorin he might as well get to know him.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 pm

"Don' have a family, least not anymore..." Gorin replies with a hint of annoyance in his voice. He pauses almost long enough that one would think he wasn't going to add anything beyond that, but after a tilt of his mug he elaborates.

"My father was a trader of sorts, took Dwarven crafted supplies into the Human lands, brought back food supplies and the like that can't be grown in the mountains..." Gorin takes a big swig of ale, and looks down at the table, but continues talking. "When I was a lad, he let me come along, tol' me it'd do some good to see th' world, an' he gave me this hammer b'fore we left. Just in case you know..." He pauses again to take another swig of ale, and continues on. "Well this day, a group o' goblins ambushed his wagon, me an him against twenty or so o' the filthy little thieves... He didn't make it, an' I was left for dead..." Gorin tilts back the mug again, downing the rest of the mug.

Standing up from the table he moves over to the bar. "Need a refill..." He states as he ges up to get his mug refilled, and to also try and hide the wetness rimming his eyes.
Crap, I seem to have lost my background... I don't remember details, but the basics I have down.