Book One: A Hobbit's Tale

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Book One: A Hobbit's Tale

Post by Grimbold » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:34 pm

This thread is for MWD.
It is a hot day in the summer of 3010. The weather has been dry for the last few weeks and many plants are withered and thirsting. The Eastern Road winds its way through the hills, and to the south, some stretches of the Old Forest can be seen.

Wilfred Baggins is leading his pony, Ned, along the road. It is carrying a good load of pipeweed that Wilfred intends to sell to a Bree merchant. Wilfred whistles a merry tune and fingers the ring in his pocket. Wilfred is nervous, but he is determined to go through with his intentions, and he hopes all will go well.
Wilfred is on the road from the Shire to Bree and he has passed the Brandywine Bridge about an hour ago. It is still morning and he intents to reach Bree before nightfall. Please post a descriptive post of Wilfred.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book One: A Hobbit's Tale

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 am

Wilfred's eyes are bright as his bare feet slowly eat up the road leading to Bree. He is of early middle age, making a name for himself as a merchant, selling the goods of the Shire to the Big Folk. It always amused the hobbit to haggle with the race of Man. An Elf would be an odd sight, but would deal with him without discomfort. Even though Wilfred is a bit tall for a Hobbit, standing at an even 3' by the Big Folk's reckoning, the humans seem to have problems talking down to him while at the same time speaking as an equal.

Ned nickers a bit, pulling on the reigns irritably. Wilfred Baggins sighs, looking around idly to make sure a badger or something isn't bothering his pony. "Come on, you little whiner. You're twenty times its size!" His moderate length brown hair shades his similar color eyes as he looks around, then settles back into his familiar pace. His clothing is simple woven cloth, his belt a length of fine rope. Even his money is in the pack on the pony. The only item besides his sling that he carries himself is the simple gold ring he has in his pocket. He resumes whistling whistfully as he daydreams about Melisa, hoping she responds favorably.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm

The sun is burning down as he walks along the old road. It does not see much traffic these days, but there might be the odd merchant travelling from the Shire to Bree or back. There are patches of woods all around and the road winds around through the low hills.

Wilfred has a break at noon and eats some of his lunch.

Just then, he can see a lone figure coming towards him along the road from the east.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:20 am

The Hobbit is none too concerned about the lone figure approaching him on the road. While there isn't too much traffic, he himself is traveling this road. Why not others too? He keeps the same unhurried pace, idly fingering the ring in his pocket and daydreaming about Melisa.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

A lone wanderer, a man in shaggy clothes is walking along the road. He does not seem armored but as he sees the hobbit, his hand reflexively grips his longsword. He quickly releases it and nods to the hobbit as he approaches. "Good day to you."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:40 pm

The hobbit blinks a bit at the Man's strange reaction. Surely he did not find a Hobbit threatening! Wilfred would have been shocked to find that the case. Hoping to reassure the travel, he smiles all friendly-like, and nods in return. "Yes, I fine day it is for traveling. Fortunes smile upon you." He gives a little wave, then keeps going the way he had intended to.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:12 am

"Where are you bound, master hobbit? Tis a dangerous road to travel at the moment." The man looks grim, but he seems to want to talk. He is clean shaven and has dark hair. His face and clothes are dirty from travelling.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 am

Wilfred clucks and hauls back on the pony's reins, making Ned sit still for a moment. Give the horse some food and a clear road, and he'd walk forever if not guided. Panting a bit at the effort, the hobbit turns back and continues his smile. "Well, I'm on my way to Bree, carrying some goods to and fro. Yourself, good sir?"

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm

"I am on my way west and my business is not your business. So do not ask what I cannot say. But be warned. Bandits have attacked travellers around Bree and one has even been killed. They say it is those wretched rangers and that someone called Strider is their leader. He is the worst of all. So you need to be careful lest something happen to you, Mister...?" He obviously wants Wilfred to tell him his name.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 am

The hobbit looks a bit frightened, not really expecting scarcely-veiled threats from a random traveler. He slightly wringes his fingers together, trying to work off some of the nervous energy. "Uh ... sir? I'm just plain ol' Wilfred. Wilfred Baggins. I can't imagine bandits wanting anything to do with me."