Book One: A Hobbit's Tale

It is the year 3010 of the Third Age in Middle-earth. One after another, ancient horrors awake, called by their master, Sauron, the Lord of the Rings. This is a time when heroes are needed, to protect the Free People and keep the evil at bay. This is high fantasy in a setting where there is low obvious magic using the HARP system.

Run by the Ringwraith Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Killing a dumbledor

Post by Grimbold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm

"Ok, hobbit. What do you have in your bags? What's your name anyway? What are yer plans in Bree? Answer me, and be quick about it."

One of his assistants, cloak and hood over his head so you cannot see his face, proceeds to open his wares, if Wilfred does not protest - if he dares.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:46 am

Wilfred cringes away from the group a bit, allowing them free access. "Um ... I'm Wilfred. Wilfred Baggins. There's just a bunch of pipeweed like I alway bring to Bree. Nothing special."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:05 pm

"Baggins, eh?"

'Strider' and his Lieutenant share a meaningful glance.

"Now we need to requisition your wares and of course any jewelry you have with you, you know, necklaces, earrings, any such stuff, and rings of course. So hand over your stuff and you might not get hurt. You there!" He motions to one of the bandits. "Get his pony and the wares. He won't need them anymore." With that he turns to the hobbit. "So, any jewelry on your person that we should know about?" He sneers as he draws his sword.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Having been in the trading world for a few years, and it being a trade that agrees with his natural sensibilities, Wilfred is not slow by any means. This is definitely too convenient to be a coincidence. Now he wishes he had taken the chance of beating up the human earlier, even though such an idea would have horrified him at the time. Likely the man was a scout or something for this 'Strider' and friends.

But outnumbered at least four to one he has little choice but to obey. Although a bit of an argument is called for. "Now wait just a minute! I'm willing to pay some sort of toll or whatever, but 'requisitioning my wares' is not an option. A hobbit's got to make a living. And the only jewelry I've got on me is a ring that I'm going to be using to propose to my lady tomorrow. So go get your own gold rings!" Wilfred is rather amazed at his own audacity, but he's not about to willingly give up the engagement ring to some scruffy outlaws.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

'Strider' looks at Wilfred intently. "A ring, eh?" Just then, his lieutenant whispers something in his ear, and Wilfred can only make out the words "take him alive". 'Strider' smiles wickedly as he comes closer to Wilfred. "Now, just stay put while our man here searches your pony."

Suddenly, 'Strider' tries to bang the pommel of his sword to Wilfred's forehead, but he had seen that one coming for a mile and he deftly ducks and the strike goes wild. 'Strider' frowns and yells at the hobbit as he strikes at him two more times: "Now will you just ... stand still ... you little maggot!"

Just then, Wilfred hears steps behind him. Something hits him from behind and everything turns black.
Thus ends Wilfred's prelude. I will move you to the main thread tomorrow. Well done!