Welcome - Random Cardolin Chatter

This is the workshop forum for Vardaen's old AD&D 2nd Edition table top game once known as Cardolin. Run by the DM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Welcome - Random Cardolin Chatter

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:54 pm

Hey all,

This game used to be an old table top AD&D 2nd edtion game that I ran. The players that used to play were Brennor, Kellinan, Shinling, Cohobin and our good friend Palamon. This game was alot of good fun, and it really dominted our D&D time for many years. Carodlin was the name of the southern most nation (this was a Southern Hemisphere based game) of the world of Eanador. It was strongly influenced by by Lord of the Rings experiences at the time, and alot of the language was taken right from Tolkien.

Recently I've been having a bit of a nostaliga kick and after speaking with Kellinan I've desided I mgiht try and run this again, on here. Most of the work is already done for me, I just have to convert it and import it (I might actually have the old files on a floppy someplace!)

I'm considering useing the HARP system for this game.

Please post any comments or questions here. However for now the game is not recuiting and I'm going to use this just to get my thoughts down on 'paper' and convert some of the stuff. I do anticipate using the old game as some history and such working out the setting as I go. I hope those old players will chime in as well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Welcome - Random Cardolin Chatter

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Why HARP?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 pm

At the risk of asking a dumb question, are there any online resources for HARP? I've never played the system.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 pm

TetNak wrote:Why HARP?
Well, I want to try my hand at something else, and after going through the Char Gen for Middl-earth I can see it looks like it could be a fun system and fit this world well. Carodlin was rather low magic and HARP looks like it will work well for that. Also since I was really influenced by Lord of the Rings it seems like using a MERPs alternative to a ME Alternative type world makes sense.

I don't see another non-d20 system that would work well, or be easy to use.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 pm

I don't disagree, but is that the most likelihood of success. Look what happened with Decipher.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:11 am

I'm a little overloaded on d20. I don't liek GURPS, Warhammer and WH40K really aren't built for this system. The one thing that is leaning me this way is the Harp book is easy to read and figure out, and Grimbold is running the game so I'm taking a totorial from him on it.

For now the point of this workshop is to work on the theme, independent of a system, and add a system later. Maybe I this won't ever even turn into a game, never know. Its a side project after all, and I'm not really looking for recuiting members yet.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 am

Sounds good. As to a theme, what did you have in mind? I'm a fan of Love Conquers All, but then it's coming up on my 1-year with my girlfriend, so I'm prejudiced.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:16 pm

This game has a very detailed theme. Like I said this is going to be for my old table top game so I'll be importing my files here. Its not really going to be up for work by others until I get things up and start refining things. This was my last 'european' style game, and since I don't run any games like that it will be nice to work on one of that general style.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Count me in.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 pm

With my busy work schedule this coming week, my building of the world here will be slow. But since I just have to retype from the papers I have it might not be that bad.