PREAMBLE: ALL ROADS LEAD TO WOODHOLD

The time is 1912, just two years before the outbreak of World War One. The place is the German Fatherland of '€˜Mythic'€™ Europa. Players comprise a hodgepodge group of valiant young adventurers that are assembled together during a series of unfortunate events that thrust them into an elaborate '€œSteampunk'€ setting which ultimately pits them in an epic struggle between the forces of Science & Sorcery. Utilizing the essential '€˜Core'€™ elements of the Risus RPG Rules System (modified of course by several '€˜House Rules'€™) '€œThe Great War'€ is designed to tell the epic tale of an adventure filled and heavily altered Europe during the onset of World War I. An epic tale that is told from the eyes of the German peoples and takes players through the Great War itself.
Run by the Commander in Chief Eanwulf
Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Re: A Startling Discovery

Post by Wayloss » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:01 pm

"I'm competent of opening things that others do not want open. I'm just worried that there might be further traps or dark arts contained in said chest. I would rather not want to pick a mundane lock and end up possessed by something awful." Perhaps if one of you could clear it for me?

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:14 pm

"I would," the fae noble states, "With nary a whistle and a twist, and the lock would be open. Except..." Lord Twyl looks distastefully at the chest before continuing, "It is made out of iron, and as such, I don't think it would be in my best interest to get near it."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:36 pm

"Then can you ensorcel the hinges off, perchance, or some similar effect?"

Von Zorn's eyes focus on the chest as if for the first time - he was somewhat addled when he made his first observations.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 am

With Lord Twyl's aversion to iron duly noted, the task of examining the large trunk then falls upon a somewhat reluctant Sir Jonathan. As if acting upon cue, the young mage gulps concernedly as he steps forward and begins to chant and gesture about. The air around the iron-bound trunk soon glows softly with magical light as Sir Jonathan's spell takes hold. After several moments, the young mage breathes a heavy sigh of relief; commenting. 'œIt appears our chest is not trapped.'
[Sir Jonathan's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Cliche Check, TN ??, 3d12 + 3 = 15]

No evidence of traps or Shadowlands!
Relieved by his companion's findings, the ever-dapper Alfonse promptly begins to kneel down and starts collecting several of the dead assassin's tools that lay scattered about him. Once the young detective has successfully managed to gather up several of the items that he will need, he then decides to give his skills at lock-picking a more than welcome try.
[Alfonse's Common Everyday Detective Cliche Check, TN ??, 4d6 = 25, Success?]
'œHmmm,' the young detective mutters after several moments, 'œMost intriguing'¦'
Wayloss? Check for a PM.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:16 pm

"Well my friends, I don't know how our deceased friend was going to open the lock. it appears that the tumblers have been removed, after the lock was latched. I'm frankly at a loss of how one might accomplish such a task."
Alfonse gives the trunk a shove and reals back suprised at how little the thing moves.
"He then gets a knowing look on his face and inspects the door behind the chest for a moment then starts to speak.
"This chest is far to heavy to move, perhaps it is just filled with balast. You see this door opens inward towards the chest. The weight of this chest behind this door would make it impossible to move with just one person. I dare say, our assassin friend may have been trying to open the chest to effect his escape...."

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 am

"Well..." Lord Twyl responds, "Isn't it within our power to move the blasted object? After all, that assassin was alone, and we have more than a few men. Group effort as they say, eh?"

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 pm

"Indeed; what the finger cannot fell fears the fist."

Chuckling at recalling an old phrase from his military training, Von Zorn summons what remains of his strength and makes to assist the others.