PREAMBLE: ALL ROADS LEAD TO WOODHOLD

The time is 1912, just two years before the outbreak of World War One. The place is the German Fatherland of '€˜Mythic'€™ Europa. Players comprise a hodgepodge group of valiant young adventurers that are assembled together during a series of unfortunate events that thrust them into an elaborate '€œSteampunk'€ setting which ultimately pits them in an epic struggle between the forces of Science & Sorcery. Utilizing the essential '€˜Core'€™ elements of the Risus RPG Rules System (modified of course by several '€˜House Rules'€™) '€œThe Great War'€ is designed to tell the epic tale of an adventure filled and heavily altered Europe during the onset of World War I. An epic tale that is told from the eyes of the German peoples and takes players through the Great War itself.
Run by the Commander in Chief Eanwulf
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Finally A Finale - Combat

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am

"No man kills my friends unanswered, dog!"

The pain Von Zorn feels waltzes gaily with his drug-craze as he continues to bludgeon the assassin.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:36 am

Alfonse can see that the assassin if getting himself quite well beat to a bloody pulp. "Perhaps we should stop the Count so that the assassin can be properly interrogated, hmm?" Alfonse remarks to no one in particular. He focuses his thoughts visualizing a small needle of focused thought darting form his "third-eye" and streaking down the hall. His thought, nay suggestion tries to overcome the mind of the assassin. Surrender!
Use Budding telepath to try and get him to surrender, I would so like to interrogate him.

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:40 am

Lord Twyl, glad that he may finally have a chance to avenge his old friend, moves from distracting the assassin to blinding him. He again sings, but this time it is just a string of words in the fae tongue, words of power that he feels in his heart and can hardly put into words because of their beauty, beauty which, he hopes, will overcome this bastard's senses.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

From the rear of the group, Sir Jon does what he can to aid the others. Another simple rhyme in the faerie tongue. Immediately the assassin's clothes begin to move with a will of their own.
Use Fae-blooded Magician to try and get his clothes to wrap around him, hindering his actions. (Meant to be a standard cliche vs. cliche attack. If I win, he gets tangled, if I lose, he shrugs it off and it bounces back, costing me a cliche die until I can get it fixed.)

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Finally - A Finale'€™s Finale

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Let me start off by stating that since this round was basically a 'œDog-pile on the Rabbit!' sort of round, I won't clutter up the thread with unnecessary die rolls and their results. Please know however, that each of your actions were indeed successful and that their effects will be abbreviated accordingly in order to maintain a smoother manner of gameplay.
The narrow corridor is suddenly filled with a nearly deafening barrage of maniacal screams, magic, song, and psychic powers as the bizarre band of heroes finally manage to unleash their vengeance upon Meister Theodorich's executioner. The four move gracefully and with such unison, that their actions seem unfitting of those of a group recently united. As the dust settles, it would appear that fortune would have favored the unusual foursome this night as the assassin's form lay crumpled and all-but-motionless upon the stony ground. Bloodied and beaten, the assassin begins to cackle wildly; commenting.

'œGo on then, bind my limbs, batter my flesh, blot out my sight, do what you must! Your victory means nothing! Herr Gruenhaegen is dead and our plans will still see their fruition!'
Since he gets to act this round as well - the Assassin realizes that his ass is about to be handed to him and promptly chomps down upon a cyanide pill, or some facsimile thereof.
Suddenly, a subtle crunching sound is heard as the dark-robed figure's body begins to flail about as if it were wracked with painful spasms. The assassin's face soon grows ashen in color and his veins darken with toxic poisons. Coughing violently, the dark-robed figure does his best to continue laughing as he wheezes loudly, adding.

'œDeath'¦is inevitable'¦War'¦is inevitable'¦Long live the Shado'¦'

The assassin's last words fall unexpectedly silent as he gasps aloud and draws his final breath.
Count Von Zorn? Since you are right on top of the guy, you notice that his last words are spoken in an acrid breath that contains the hint of almonds. I pray that you know what that means '€" being a chemist and all! If not, e-mail me and I shall explain further. Take it from here guys!

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Finally - A Finale'€™s Finale

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:59 am

"Poison capsule...a coward's retreat."

Von Zorn seems to wither as the powder's effects begin to wear off.

"Revenge, of a fashion. Though what in the world we shall do now is beyond me."

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:39 am

"We search him for any papers signifying his allegiance, and then we bring his body to the surface to with us" the fae noble says. "Theodorich deserves to have his killer brought into the light. His boy deserves to know who killed his father."

Lord Twyl pushes past Count von Zorn before walking over to the body and kicking it out of spite, after which he does what he himself proposed.
Let's see what's in his pockets, shall we?

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 pm

"Gentleman,..." Alfonse gently pulls on Lord Twyl's shoulder. "I believe I have the required training to careful go through the assassin's things. We do not know if he was wearing a booby trap, or other nasty surprises." Assuming he is allowed.
Alfonse kneels beside the body and opens up his briefcase he removes a pair of leather gloves, that appear supple but look as though they might prevent a cut to his fingers from a poisoned needle. He then pulls a pen and a pad of blank paper from the briefcase. He offers these to another member of the group. "Would one of you be so kind as to take notes?"
Go go Sherlock Holmes mode, I want to know where he is from, where he has been ect from his clothing, documents, weapons...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Lord Twyl wastes no time and quickly begins to rummage about the assassin's pockets. The fae swordsman hopes desperately that his ferreting will provide his group with a clue as to the dead assassin's identity; or perhaps even some form of motive for killing their lifelong friend, Herr Gruenhaegen.
Not much in the guy's pockets, save for some loose change and a small piece of torn, folded paper. His belt contains a small leather pouch full of spiky caltrops - possibly poisoned. Once unfolded, the paper has the following information scribbled upon it in a spidery hand:

'œNeuport
Market Square
8 o'clock'

Doing the math, the paper's information coincides roughly within half-an-hour's time of Theordoich's murder.
As Lord Twyl rummages through the assassin's belongings, Count Von Zorn kneels nearby; shivering uncontrollably as the effects of the chemical stimulant gradually leaves his body. The good Count is only all too familiar with the sickening sensation that accompanies '˜coming down' from one of his concoctions and loathes the experience immensely. Surely enough, after only a moment or two, the Count then begins to cough and wretch violently as his mind and body are overwhelmed with feelings of mortality and despair.

Once having finished with his rifling over the dead assassin's body, Lord Twyl quickly shares his findings with the rest of the group. It is the young detective, Alfonse, whom seems most interested with the fae's discoveries as he starts to conduct his own form of personal examination on the body.

'œHmmm'¦Most Interesting'¦'
[Alfonse's Common Everyday Detective Cliche Check, TN ??, 4d6 = 15]

Check for an E-mail and/or PM.
As Herr Schwarz studies the corpse carefully, the accompanying sounds of Count Von Zorn's coughing gradually subside. His mind now finally free from the drug's '˜numbing' effects, the good Count moans softly with disgust as he realizes that his body is wrought with numerous cuts and scratches, each caused by the assassin's blade. The Count's moans are soon replaced with the sounds of a grumbling growl as he slowly begins to stand back upon his feet.

As Count Von Zorn stands, he is suddenly filled with an overwhelming sense of rage and loathing. The good Count promptly steps forward towards the assassin's body and kicks it violently. Spitting upon the corpse, the Count then comments.

'œIt doesn't matter who this '˜schiesser' is! All that is important is that he's dead!'

'œAn Eye for an Eye I always say,' the Count continues, as he playfully taps upon the vicious scar that runs down one of his cheeks. 'œAn Eye for an'¦'

The Count's words are suddenly cut short as the assassin's body begins to emit a ghostly hissing sound. The four heroes watch in terror as the corpse begins to quickly crumble and decay into a shadowy smog right before their very eyes. Within seconds, there is nothing left of the assassin's remains save for his clothing, and a large pile of ash!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:47 pm

"Damn," Sir Jon says as the corpse start to crumble. He mutters a few words and makes a few passes over the body, but is unable to stop its decay. "I'd wanted to see if I could make him talk," he adds once his efforts have proven futile. "But that seems impossible." He shakes his head back and forth.

"I see two possibilities," he offers. "One, our enemies have taken great pains to cover their tracks; or two, this man wasn't human to begin with, and the body he created couldn't survive the departure of his spirit." He glances down at the clothing and ash. "I'll see if I can glean more from the paltry remains. But I'm not sure how much they'll show."

"In the meanwhile," he adds, "does anyone recognize that handwriting?"
See if I can mystically figure out if either of my theories is correct.