Chapter 4: Survival in the Barrens

The Burning Legion is defeated, Arthas sits on the Frozen Throne in Northrend, and Jaina Proudmore and Warchief Thrall have escaped to Kalimdor and formed a shaky truce with each other and the newly discovered Night Elves. Adventure awaits as the events of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne are over, and new heroes rise from the aftermath of the Third War.Based on the hugely popular Warcraft series of games, the World of Warcraft RPG (Revised Edition) is an exploration into Azeroth like never before.Run by the DM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chapter 4: Survival in the Barrens

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 pm

It has been five years since The Third War started and conflict still can be found at every turn.

Here continues the tale of a handful of would be heroes of the Horde...

The truce between the Horde and Theramore Isle is holding, but there are grudges on both sides. Both Alliance and Horde races expand across Kalimdor, settling in whatever habitable locations they can find. Lordaeron remains controlled by the undead, although a civil war rages between Arthas' Scourge and those undead who have broken his control, called the Forsaken. Demons roam freely across the world, terrorizing what few human forces remain. Although the world has suffered bloodshed and warfare for years, there is still no indication that the turmoil will end soon. Each of the mortal races begins to position itself for what could soon become the most crucial period of time in the world's history.

An Excerpt from Brann Bronzebeard To His Highness, King Magni Bronzebeard, Rightful Sovereign of Ironforge and Dun Morogh, and Grand Explorer of the Guild --

The Barrens are massive it took days for me to cover the whole thing, even riding a borrowed ram for most of the journey. I left from Ratchet the Goblin Port town and traveled north exploring the other regions. After visiting several Horde settlements, I realized something important.

With the exception of the Forsaken, the Horde seems to have less tension among their races than we do in the Alliance. While I drink with humans and elves on a regular basis, and gnomes have always been our close friends, I rarely see the level of kinship among us as I saw among the Horde. I noted several mixed race groups practicing for contests in the Darkmoon Fair in Mulgore. To be blunt, I envy the amount of cooperation I saw here, and I'd like to see our own people get off their high horses and work together like this. The kinship here reminded me of what I saw in the Second War. I'm reminded of a high elf priest who saved my hide and nearly lost his own life in the process and it's something I haven't personally seen much since within the Alliance. The Alliance needs a real smack in the face, because we aren't working as a team, and that needs to change and fast.

The Barrens is a land of blasted rock and dirt, a sharp contrast to the surrounding lands. Perhaps the most important feature of the Barrens is that it is connected to so many other regions. From the Barrens, one can travel to Ashenvale in the north, Durotar in the northeast, the Stonetalon Mountains in the southwest, Mulgore in the west, Dustwallow Marsh in the southwest, and Thousand Needles in the south. One can reach any of these locations from a single road, and Crossroads provides flying mounts to the Horde as well. The central portion of the Barrens is almost all flatland, with a few trees and pools of carefully guarded water. The borders are marked with low mountain ranges that can be crossed with sufficient effort.
It was only yesterday that Bael Modan was home to a few lingering Troggs and was terrorized by the nearby Kolkar Centuars. The Talonbreakers have seen to it that the area is secure, atleast for now. A caravan of grunts and peons numbering a score each arrived from Crossroads lead by the Goblin Talonbreaker Gizzik Mechmeddle. The orc warriors and peons unloaded the supplies into the nearby caves and camp was set. The Kolkar camp nearby was raided and anything portable was taken, but more remains to be collected yet. The day was long and hard, hot and harsh, and everyone worked late into the night.

So today's dawn comes early and before anyone is ready. Yet ready they must be for the founding of the newest Horde settlment is to begin, and it falls to the Talonbreakers to lead this charge. The group finishes their morning activites and begins to collect at the center of the ruins and camp to talk tactics, to talk needs, and to begin this new quest for the Horde.
Welcome to Chapter 4! Game on! Remember to level up and to claim items in the loot thread.
*Ding*

Main Quest: Bael Modan A caravan of Grunts and Peons arrived in Bale Modan bringing with them the supplies to begin building a new base of operations. Bael Modan is to be the newest Horde stronghold and the Talonbreakers are to run it.

Some of your top priorities for the new settlement are:
* Secure Food Sources
* Secure Water Sources
* Secure Other Supplies
* Create Defenses
* Order the Settlement's Buildings
* Scout the Landscape
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Chapter 4: Survival in the Barrens

Post by Brennor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Ogbar looks around the circle at the center of camp, glad that Gizzik is back with the Talonbreakers.

"We are off to a great start, but we still have much to do. I know we have many priorities, but near the top should be to go and grab the palisade from the village to outfit ours. That will bolster our defenses greatly. It will be much work though."

He ponders a few other things. "Gizzik, how much food did you bring with you?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Gizzik sits eating the left overs of some quillbeast bacon, the grease dribbling down his chin. "Eh? Oh we brought plenty, should last us about two weeks if you are careful. Hunting is good around these parts isn't it?" He gobbles down another piece, clearly someone might want to tell the goblin what being carefull means.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Zak'tir nods at Ogbar's suggestion. "Ya mon. Naow dat we be havin' oll dese wagons, we c'n be hollin' dah horsemen's wolls tah mayke 'em ahr own!"
I like that idea. Ready-made palisade!

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Sitting around the cooking fire finishing his food.

"We can get the grunts to drag that over and set up the palisade. Need to work out a watch schedule, and get a watch captain."

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Lugar nods in agreeance. "Be needin' da water, too. Who can be diggin' wells or looking for da streams?" Without water, they won't last too long, either. "And I got da whole wagon full of da rations fer us."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Gizzik slurps down his last piece of bacon and wipes his hand on his tunic. "Lt. Match set us up with soem basic tools, shovels, picks, hammers, that sort of thing. I don't know if we can be digging a well with this stuff. We'll need some timber or stones to shore up the walls, and we need to find a place to dig. Then again, that cave has some running water in it doesn't it?"

That is true, the Trogg cave has a waterfall and a small stream cuting right through it, so for the time being that might just be enough for everyone.

"I can handle whatever you like me to. I'm good with a wrench!" He branishes his biggest wrench to make a point -- it is big.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 pm

"I be tinkin'," Zak'ti says, "dat food wahtah, an' defense be da tree main tings we be needin' first. Right now we got food in da wagons, an wahtah in da cayves. We ahlso got us some prime defenses just waitin' fah us tah go grab it ovah by wheah da Kolkah lived. Dat is," he adds, "we got it til some uddah Kolkah or dah like go an tayke it oah burn it."

"So I say we go get dat first, while it's still deah."
Translation. We have food and water for the short term. Let's get the rest of the Kolkar defenses (now that we have the work force to strip their camp bare) before it's too late.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Ogbar nods to Zak'tir's suggestion. "Yeah, I think that getting the protection first is the way to go, especially since we've got the other bases covered already for the time being. We should strip that place bare."
Yeah, I like the ready-made palisade idea too. Glad someone else picked up on it this time :) Suggested it earlier, but I think it went by the wayside because of other stuff going on.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm

"Guud idea. We can doin' dat and bringin' it all 'ere. Plus, I got dose gems ta be showin', Gizzik. I'm sure Lil' Orc can find a use fur em'." Lugar prepares himself to go out witht eh others and bring back the pallisade and tents and anything not nailed down.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...