Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:24 pm

Yeah, had heard that, the base game was pretty darn good. By the same folks that make Space Alert.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:28 pm

So check out what I was doing for New Years Eve

This is a Twitch video from NEY, the Cardboard of the Rings Podcast guys play a LOTR LCG quest, its rather quick, then they get into the custom quest I helped make with another guy. @TheChad is there playing. Lots of fun!

https://www.twitch.tv/cotrpodcast/v/111859250
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:13 pm

So it has been a while since I posted anything here about our game nights. A quick rapid fire of games we've played and I enjoyed.

Codenames and Codenames Pictures - Both excellent, I think I like Pictures better. A great soical game for large groups, even with uneven numbers and fine for kids as well.

Chaos in the Old World - Play one of the chaos gods from Warhammer and try and corrupt the world before the other chaos gods do. This was a large mat board game with lots of unit placement but honestly was easy to pick up and had several ways to win. Would totally give this a second try even if TheChad did win. Available on Table Top Simulator also.

Arkham Horror the Card Game - A Co-op LCG from FFG much like LOTR but it is the more refined son of LOTR. Lots of fun, story based and less win or loose, even when you flee for your life burning your house down behind you the game goes on with a nice story. Level up your deck and gain XP along the way. Good Co-Op! Its just started this past October so its a great time to join in. Check out the MythosBuster Podcast associated with it.

Star Was Destiny - A Collectable Card and Dice game from FFG. Spans the entire timeline, you play cards from a constructed deck you make based on a few heros you have in play. Upgrade, support, and then roll dice to general damage or resources to kill your enemy. I played 3 games of this and had fun watching Kylo Ren kill my enemy all three games. Available on Table Top Simulator also.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:34 pm

So we have been playing the Arkham Horror LCG from Fantasy Flight Games. It is a great combo of RPG and card game. It has some great stories and is really fun. If anyone was on the fence about this, or is looking for a new Co-Op game that players really well 1-4 players, check it out!

We won last night, best possible outcome as we investigated the missing professor in the Clover Club in Arkham. Good times.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about Arkham Horror LCG.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Played the 2nd scenario in the Dunwich Legacy box last night.

Go get this game, go play this game. Great fun, even if @Eilandor's Roland character is covering something sinister up !

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 pm

We did it, we finally defeated this game's final adventure. Our group of 5 (sometimes 6) heroes took on the Runelord of Greed and won in an epic battle. Harsk, the dwarf ranger, with the help of Erzan the Wizard, Valeros the Fighter, Kyra the Priest and Merisiel the Rogue, killed the Runelord Karzoug before he could come to full power!

We have been playing this game, on and off, for just over 2 years with this group. My first post about it is here: viewtopic.php?p=302917#p302917

Over all it was decent, it had no RPG elements other than being based on the RPG Adventure Path, but it was more of a puzzle type: How do I defeat this obstacle with the cards in my hand. The deck building, and the legacy/advancement of your deck was decent. We had fun with this mostly because we are a fun group of players, and it was the group of players that made it fun, not necessarily the game itself. There are better game out there that do this sort of thing like the Arkham Horror LCG game from FFG.

Still I'm pretty happy that we managed to do it!

A view from my seat after the BBEG was defeated!