Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

Post by MadVlat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:19 am

Lets hope I can clear some me time for next Friday. Things are calming down a bit, not much; but a bit...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Friday the 19th? I can swing that. From 3:30 until late. I'll get busy with my cards. We can also try out the Lord of the Rings Co-Op game if you like.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 am

This is my 41,000th post! Just thought I'd start by saying that.

So after a long long break MV and I finally returned to some Legend of the Five Rings CCG and tried our hand at Lord of the Rings LCG.

The 7th Sign!

Game 1: MV Dragon Clan Tatooed, Fire Token, Monks vs Me Phoenix Inquisitor, Magistrate, Shugenja. -- MadVlat won! Yeah I know, I have no idea how that happened! Well I do, but I still can't believe it.

His deck is a nicely built Dragon deck using the new stronghold that builds Fire Tokens (+1F). He brings out monks with fire tokens, makes the monks big, breaths fire for ranged attacks and uses kihos to bow you and straighten himself. The deck practically runs itself with a few fast monks that are 8 force in no time and are trying to lay the smack down on you. He attacks which is shocking to see! My Inquisitors are all about tainting his guys and exposing that taint for all the world to see causing him honor loss. The game was going just fine for me, he was at -15 and once he hits -20 game over. I wasn't really paying attention I guess because he attacked and I defended when I shouldn't have. By doing that I let him kill my army off and all my guys netting himself 10 honor putting him back at -5. Had I just let him attack, next round I could have done -6 honor to him and he would have lost. A kneejerk reaction to just fight MV cost me the game. Well played old man, well played.
Game 2 - MV Same Dragon Deck vs Me Unicorn Tacticians (mostly NOT cavalry). I won military.

This time I wasn't fooling around. But neither was MV. It was a brutal war, we clashed head to head several times, the opening salvo say me bow his one uber monk 3 times because he straighted him 2 times, luckily he didn't have a 3rd straighten in his hand. So it was a game like this, we even tied in one fight 12 to 12 so it was one of those games with lots of deaths but no provinces being taken. I defended my Champion who wasn't out yet several times until I got the gold and then once she finally came out the game swung my way. She is a beast. The game ended with my Celestial coming out, and him having 0 people because of another battle just before that. So with 3 good sized tacticians I attacked 3 of his last provinces on foot and took them to win. It was a good game.

Game 3 - MV Dragons again (he only had one deck built) vs Me Crane Shugenja, Artisans, Honor Run. I won by the skin of my teeth.

Yeah so more big ass Dragon Monks attacking my peace loving Crane Shugena. The Crane deck trickles in honor a few points for every action and lots of little actions based on spells and holdings. So it didn't take long to have over 20, then 30 then 40 honor. The problem for me was he just kept attacking over and over again and had me down to 1 province. I cast a spell that have me a bonus province that didn't hold cards. Then I did somethin so if he attacked he would give me 2 honor putting me at 40, so he delayed one round to bring out more guys. I went to 40 on my turn and readied for the final attack but it never came. Seeing what was out there, with me having the Imperial Favor and knowing what was in his hand he reached over the table shook my hand and conceded the game. It was one of those game that had 1 little thing changed, he would have had won. Thank the Kami it didn't.

All in all a good night for L5R

Then we switched to LotR. This game is a co-op game where you lead heroes against the game in various quests. I really like this game as its 1-4 players co-op and yet is still deck building and such. He had never played and all the cards are mine so I had put together 2 decks, the fist was for me, a Lore/Spirit deck lead by Bilbo, Eowyn and Elrond. The deck heals, deals with locations, and quests really strongly. The key is Elrond with one of the Three Elven Rings of Power Vilya to play free cards each round while Bilbo grants bonus card draw and Eowyn has a 4 willpower for questing domination. The other deck I made was for MV, and all dwarf hero deck, which he instantly liked (do I know MV's tastes or what?). This deck is a Tactics/Leadership deck to round the game out for us. It fights monsters really well. Thalin does damage as monsters spawn, Gloin makes resources as he gets wounded an Gimli son of Gloin does more combat force as he gets wounded. It plays weapons and combat oriented cards and considering I built in without a playtest it did damn good.

We started of a bit shaky with 3 enemies showing up right away and two fo them going after me. But we worked through it and MV started to get the hang of the game rather quickly. We started working on the quest, got some ally cards out and then completed phase one, phase 2 was a quickly and then on to phase 3 which we manged to stomp into the ground rather fast. By the end we had a few wounds on all our guys, and were around 40 threat with no victory point kills. For a first outing we did great, and we got that message about Dul Guldur from Thranduil to Lorien without loosing any heroes.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 pm

GO DRAGON NAPALM!!!
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Next time I'm shoving a cork into your Dragon's mouths, then when they burp it will flame out their asses killing the men behind them!

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:12 pm

No one is behind them. They are all front line warriors. The only ones that are usually behind anybody is the Unicorn. They call it tactical flanking but everyone else in Rokugan knows the truth about it... :wink:

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:47 pm

So, just because I like to see myself post :)

I finally beat the Down the Anduin adventure for the LotR LCG. This time I used 2 decks, the same two MV and I played. Apparently lots of people solo using two decks instead of just one.

The first game was a bust, and obviously so early on. A second game kicked things off with a early Forest Snare that I used to trap the murderous Hill Troll that pretty much ends the game for you out of the gate if you don't shut it down ASAP. With the Troll under control Elrond was able to build while Gimli lead the other deck on a slaughter of other monsters. The decks worked decent and I actually completed the quest portion 2 round before I managed to kill the Troll (which you have to do to move on). Step 2 was an all out questing frenzy sending everyone several times. with just a few dwarfs left over to bash on the orcs and goblins that came out. A few poor treachery cards killed off some allies but it wasn't enough to take me out.

Stage 3, where you need to kill all remaining monsters but no new ones spawn only took 1 round thanks to a good draw and heavy handed dwarves with axes and war cries of KAHAZD!

FINALLY I officially beat this adventure and next I raid Dol Guldur to try and save a prisoner locked inside.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:29 pm

GO TEAM DWARF!!!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Next time you are over MV we can run the Anduin one together and see if we can beat it 2 player. Next week some time?

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

This week is going to be tough. I'll be covering most of the night classes while John is out of town. Let's plan on next Thursday night Nov. 15th around 4 or 4:30 PM...