Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Recently I picked up the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game from Fantasy Flight Game. I figured since I have nothing better to do I'd log some of my games here like I was doing with the L5R thread.

So I played a bunch of games of the starter scenario and then the next one up from that. I discovered I was playing the Questing phase wrong and that the starter decks only have 30 cards in them, when a 'tourny leagal' deck shoudl have 50 min. So I put together a few new decks with the limited cards I have and then tried some of the adventures again.

The base set Includes 3 scenarios:
Passage Through Mirkwood (Difficulty level = 1)
Journey Down the Anduin (DL= 4)
Escape from Dol Guldur (DL= 7)

After playing around I've settled on a deck I think I like, its 2/3rd Leadership (Aragorn and Theodred) and 1/3rd Tactics (Legolas). All 29 leadership cards are in, 18 Tactic cards, and 3 Gandalfs (neutral).

I started over and dis the Passage Through Mirkwood, and found that it wasn't as easy as I thought the first time through. I still won with a Victory total of 30, which I think was pretty good (lower better).

So I moved onto Journey Down the Anduin and I lost, over and over again. I can't imaging what Escape from Dol Guldur is like but I'll give it try next. While the solo game plays good, and isn't much different from the 2-4 player version having another person playing even with the game ramping things up a bit, I think will really make things a bit easier.
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Greater Binghamton Area Gaming Group

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:02 am

So, I busted open the Khazad-Dum Delux expansion I got and one of the Dwarrowdelf Adventure packs and built up a nice new Dwarf deck. Tactics (combat) and Lore (healing).

Featuring Gimli

THe deck could crush anything in combat, no question about that, Gimli was at one point doing 10 Attack, insta death to anything. Didn't have much problem with the split resources and saw Gandalf twice. Still didn't have much umph on the questing part and ended up at 43 Threat when I finally finished. Victory points of 49, which was way high I thought.

Shuffling in new cards certainly made it more interesting and playing basically all dwarven army made me want to shout "Moria! Dain! Dain!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm

This Saturday I played my first game with Eilandor of the Lord of the Rings LCG. It was a teaching game as he never played before. I hadn't played in a while either and forgot a bit of the tricks at the start of the game. We had a few failed quests because of that and had a slow started. He played my dwarf deck that MV normally uses, and I tried out the elf ranged deck that jp69 normally uses. We had an odd run of alot of Locations and no enemies to fight which hurt. In the end he went out first with 50 Threat and I was a round or two behind him unable to finish it for us. We were only a few Progress points from victory. Next time we'll get it!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Last night Eilandor was over and we took a second shot at the Lord of the Rings LCG. This game was way more better! We actually won in like 4 or 5 rounds.

This time he played the dwarves once more, I suggested he take a second crack at it since now he knew the game a bit and the cards wouldn't be a shock.

I played my Rohan deck that deals with Locations and Questing.

Round one we smacked the quest for 8 points and beat the first stage just like that! The Forest Spider dropped down and attacked him but he took it out no problem with Thorin Oakenshield.

The encounter deck was location heavy again, but my Rohan explorers were able to take care of some by various event and ally effects which kept it easier to handle. We charged in again, and I played a card that boosted my Quest by +2 for each Rohan, then Ungoliant's Spawn came up and dropped everyone by -1 Quest. Didn't matter we still managed to pop that quest in one round and the spider dropped down to attack him. He did some hurt to it but didn't finish it off.

Stage 3 we drew the same random one we did last time, but we were in way better shape. I kept removing locations, and this time I quested alone and he handled Ugoliant's Spawn. Another boost to me quest and I was hitting it with 16 points. Took down half the quest+ that round, and he finished off the spider queen (which was good because the final stage said we couldn't win if that one card was in play). I drew a spider that turn however so I had to think of fighting a bit and sacrificed a pawn to it.

Last round, we only need 4 quest points to win, and we all out quested, for like 12 again, drew 2 Trechery Cards taking some damage and loosing our events in our hand, but it didn't matter much, we had like 8 or more than what we need and beast the game!

70 Victory Points! (this was one of the fastest games, and we crushed it!) If that last Treachery hadn't come up that did us damage we would have had 64 Victory Points, all in all it was a good uplifting game.

ImageImage

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm

I played this for the first time last weekend. I liked it.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Its a fun co-op game.

After something came up last night, I double checked the rules, did some web searches and come to the conclusion that we've been playing some timing with Events wrong. Mainly we can not interrupt a card action happening (Like a Treachery) with our own unless the card we are using is a Reaction type one. That makes things harder, we were 'cheating' in effect.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Speaking of.

I'd like to try and get a 4 player game together. MV, JP, Eil, what do you think?

19th, 26th after 5pm, or 27th after 4pm, or the 30th (Saturday) any time.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 pm

I'll check out my schedule.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Any idea on a date folks?

Would be cool to try out LotR with 4+ people.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 pm

I pm'd you. 19th would work for me, probably one of the others at least.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...