Diplomacy 2

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Spring 1908 Moves

Post by Grimbold » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Yes, Amaris, I saw that, but none of these were possible.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I think she just spelled Triest wrong on the abbriviation. Wrote TRE and its TRI, don't think she should be screwed because of that. Espcially since sempai got move from the game master...

I'm not so sure that conforms to the rules determined at the start of the game. Espcially with the time frame of the game, and how close we are. I mean, how hard is it for you to looks at the players orders and then post Sempai's moves. I'd rather almost wait for him.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:44 pm

Actually, Trieste is also no option, as the attack came from there. A defender cannot just swap places.

I declared the moves before I even opened the pms. However, if two out of three currently active players agree, we will wait for Sempai. What are your opinions?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:54 pm

I guess that makes sense. Amaris said that she's been putting in retreat orders like that for 2 games. Curious that its never come up or pointed out.

I'm curious, if you are attacked and dislodged, the attacker has vacated that space as you go to retreat, isn't it now leagal and empty?

Also, an unrelated question: Its where 1 unit can defend against 2 attackers, which seems against the point of the games simply numertic superiority game play.

Unit A Attacks Location 1
Unit B Supports Unit A

Location 1 attacks Unit A

Shouldn't Unit A win the fight instead of bouncing like has been happening? If not, if the attackers bounce, then 1 unit can hold of 2 attackers indefinately, seems busted.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:21 am

a) The retreats Amaris offered were possible in principle, conforming to the rules. But in this situation, the squares were occupied (and there is a passage in the rules that says attacker and defender may not just swap places). The only possible retreats are Pie and Tus in that situation.

b) One unit can only defend itself against two attackers if it cuts the support.
e.g. Unit A attacks location 1
Unit B supports unit A
and Location 1 attacks A
(here the attack is successful, as the support is not cut).
Now if Location 1 attacks B, then support is cut and the attack is unsuccessful.

So, a unit on the defensive has to be a good guesser to hold indefinitely, but it is possible (50% chance every turn).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:41 am

But also since armyies can't switch locations you can attack the attackter and stop him. So you can hold off 2 units forever, eiher breaking support or couter attacking where the attack comes from forcing the 'can't switch' rule.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:10 am

OK, I originally posted because I saw No Retreat Orders, I think I get it now (the logistics of the Retreat - sneakier than I thought). I didn't think I would lose a unit to lacking a retreat order, obviously (Like many others before me in the game!). Viva La France. I'm cool with you posting for Sempaii as long as he OKs it. otherwise I wouldn't mind waiting for his next move this game is nearing an end and might be my last game in years.... Shall we vote? I'll vote the game can hold till Sempaii returns. Galen? V? Grimbold? Your thoughts?
Amaris

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:29 am

I will just go with the majority of the players.
Amaris: wouldn't mind waiting
Vardaen: ?
Galen: ?
Sempai: ??

V: The thing is, that if A attacks C with the support of B, and C attacks A, then A will win and C, though it cannot retreat to the province A is attacking from, will have to retreat elsewhere or be disbanded. Fact is, A will win the province C is in.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Note, that last post from "me" was actually Amaris logged in under my name accidentally, ( she did sign her name so that should remove some confusion).

You can offical put me down for waiting. At this point in the game, nearly over, every move is important, so I'd rather wait on sempai.

I'm not so sure you played that move that way Grimbold, if you look back at some of the rounds of St.Petersburg, you'll see where he attacked the same location I did, while I was supportinf from another place and I didn't take it. Perhaps something else was going on but it didn't look that way. I'm just trying to make sure I 'get' all the rules cause I get shocked from time to time with rules I thought I understood.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:18 am

So I have Amaris and V pro waiting. Galen, do you have an opinion?

For the time being, we will wait until I hear from Galen.

V: Normally, the software should incorporate the rules like this. If one of your attacks was unsucessful it might have been that the support was cut. You can cut and paste moves that you have a question on and post them again here, and I will do my best to clarify...