Chapter One: The Toad and the Crow

The Empire lies at the centre of the Old World, bounded by tall mountains and dark forests. It is by far the most populous of the Human nations and claims to be the most powerful. Ruled by the commanding statesmanship of Emperor Karl-Franz, the Empire is a strong bulwark against the foul beasts and blasphemous cults that threaten the stability of the Old World. Gripped by division and confusion, hard times are coming to this powerful country. What has Fate in store for the simple and pious men and women who live at the monastery of St. Adelard?Run by the GM Grimbold
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Chapter One: The Toad and the Crow

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:35 pm

The human nods and pats his saddlebags. "I've got all the artifacts we've taken off our enemies stowed safely away. The mask, the rings, everything. Hopefully either this leader, or our scholar, can give us some further insight on what is going on."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Brother Theo nods and says: "You can find me at the Shrine if you need me."

The Sigmarites come up to an old, weathered woman who greets them with a weary smile: "I am Bernice, the eldest. I can speak for most of the unfree peasants here in the village. I heard you want to slay the Beast? Thank Sigmar! We will give you what little we have if you take this evil danger from us!"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Sir Wolfgang bows slightly to the old crone. "Greetings Bernice. My name is Sir Wolfgang Gustav, and these are my many companions. We are traveling through on a holy quest of our own, and heard of this vile Beast that is endangering the area." He gestures over towards the retreating Brother Theo. "The good priest asked us to at least stay the night and see if we could confront the thing. Any information you might have on how to find it would be grand."
Basically going through the same info-gathering route as with Brother Theo. We may want to cinematize this a bit, until either night falls, or we meet anyone interesting in the Keep.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

EarinShaad
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EarinShaad » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:49 am

"I am still not quite sure if we should tackle this beast heads on," Victor whispers quietly to the other compnions, while Sir Wolfgang talks to the village elder. "Our quest is far more important, I think. If this beast attacks us, so be it, be we shouln´t seek it out on our own."
After a few moments of thought, the acolyte adds:
"Still, gathering as much information as possible would be wise. Knowledge is power, after all."
Agreed, it would be nice if we could speed up the questioning of the peasents. It is kind of difficult to play out in a forum rpg.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Agreed, will cut this short.
Gotwin, Naldo and Roswald decide to make for the monastery before the night falls and ask the monks about the beast. They leave, waving to Sir Wolfgang, Victor, Franz and Gandogar.

The four Sigmarites talk to Bernice as well as some other villagers and then look around in the village.

They do not find out much more, only some things the villagers tell them:

- Some villagers, including the priest, have had strange dreams in the last four days.
- The beast is getting stronger each day. And it comes at night to kill its victims.
- It is attracted by sounds, so there has been a ban on making noise at night.
- The victims of the beast have been buried in the cemetery. Graf Norbert is (of course) buried in the castle crypt.
- There are some offerings on the shrine of Sigmar, some amulets or talismans, some food. Some of the offerings, Theoderich explains, are meant for some older, heathen diety that people revered before the coming of Sigmar. But he makes sure everyone prays to Sigmar, too. Some of the offerings have strangely turned black, as if a hot fire had consumed them. These show the symbol of two dark wings surrounded by a triangle.

It is mid afternoon now. Slowly, the fog is creeping out of the forest. Rooms in several houses have been found for the Sigmarites, who will share the poor quarters and meals of their hosts.
Tell me if you want to ask or do something specific, then I will advance you to the morning.

s1lverstyle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by s1lverstyle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 am

As the day passes by, Gandogar tries to make sure he collects as much relevant data as he thinks is necessary. He starts with asking if the victims had any connection with each other. after that, he tries to gain some more information about the heathen gods the people worhsip here apparently.
lastly he asks the people if anyone has actually laid eyes on the monster yet (except the victims of course) and if someone can describe it.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 am

The Apprentice Knight looks suspiciously at the talismans that have been corrupted in some fashion. He wishes he knew more about such omens, but trusts the Cleric to handle such things. He spends his time speaking with the villagers and any town guard he can find, his title and demeanor helping to calm the locals, and easily get what information they have.

As the afternoon draws to a close, he makes sure to collaborate with the others to make an action plan. Since the beast seems to be attracted by noise, perhaps they could make a calculated break from the ban on noise, and try to set a trap for the Beast. If they are on their guard all night, they stand a chance of ambushing the thing when it goes for the kill. If it fails to show up, then they can't waste more time and need to head out to the Scholar with all due haste.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 am

Gandogar finds the people reluctant to speak about the old gods, but in Theoderich, he finds a willing victim.

- The old gods are all animal gods, fierce and savage, but also helpful like nature itself. Theoderich seems to think they might have become aspects of the Nature God Taal - an officially accepted religion in the Empire, though Sigmar is of course the most important god.
- There were 13 animal gods.
- The triangle with enclosed wings is the symbol of Sha Yr Crah, the Blind Crow, one of the animal gods.

He also asks the people about the beast. None have seen it, but some saw a dark shadow of sorts, more like a ghostly apparition than a wild beast.

Sir Wolfgang suggests trapping the beast, first attracting it with noise and then attacking it...
If there are no other suggestions, then you will attempt what the knight suggests.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:55 am

Sir Wolfgang chuckles as the others seem to not object to his plan. Obviously it's one that could end badly, but they have little time to spend in the area. They don't have time to investigate for days, and subtly work towards a final confrontation with the Beast. He hopes to be on his way back within a day or two at the most. They deliver the gem to the scholar, they get their book, and the group is on the road home.
Looks like no one objects to the plan. Let's go!

EarinShaad
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EarinShaad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Victor has no open objections to the knight´s plan. He still thinks that it is an unnecessary risk to tackle this beast that could be much stronger then he and his companions, but keeps this thoughts for himself as he prepares for a long and bloody night.