Introduction: A Tale Of Two Plants

In 1798 Calcutta is a city expanding rapidly under the rule of the Honorable British East India Company. This is the time of great Indian trade fortunes, everyone from the lowliest clerk to the governors council is out to amass wealth. A man must keep his wits about him to prosper despite the corruption, the intrigue, and shrewd local traders.Run by GM 3rd-I
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Introduction: A Tale Of Two Plants

Post by 3rd-I » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:26 pm

The Colonel frowns slightly, as if perhaps slightly agitated that so much has already been deduced. As he pauses, a commotion of sorts can be heard emanating from the yard outside the offices. The sound is of cheering, and excitement. The Colonel turns to his assistant.

'œSee what that noise is about, would you Maladhar?'

Maladhar bows slightly.

'œYes Sahib'

He smartly exits the room, closing the large double door behind him. Hilton turns back to face the group, and resumes his usually friendly tone.

'œYour suppositions are both correct but flawed, my friends.'

He turns to Sinclair, 'œYou, Doctor, have correctly identified the man who I was meeting with before you: Sir Arthur Beresford, a high ranking company official with authority over all matters of country trade in the presidency. Impressive' he adds, nodding slowly. 'œYou are clearly knowledgeable of Calcutta's high society.'

'œHowever', he continues turning away, 'œit is incorrect to suggest that the company, or Arthur for that matter, is in need of our help. Indeed, it is quite the reverse.

The company places strict controls on the production of its Opium. The annual total production is currently regulated to 4,000 chests per year, at 140 pounds per chest. The result of this regulation, combined with the growing market in China has been a steady increase in market price, and profitability. A chest of finest Bengal opium currently auctions at an average of 400 rupees in Calcutta, and the wiliest merchants can earn over four times that figure in profits from the voyage to Canton!

Additionally, the locally built ships rely on the monsoon winds to make the trip to Canton, and hence Opium runs can only be made on an annual basis. The result is a fiercely competitive market, the company has more than enough traders willing to carry the opium for them, and it is a trough that we too shall have to dip our snouts in.

You see, the company is starting to wake up to the true potential of this commodity. It is possible that opium might have use as pure profit earner, and not just the trade offset tool that it has been used as to date. The increase in demand for Chinese tea shows no signs of abating, and the price of Opium continues to rise. Many merchants in Calcutta, myself included, are beginning to realise that this', he says gesturing with an open palm to the ball of black tar, 'œis the future of trade in Indo-China.'

At this point the door opens, and Maladhar re-enters the room. He smiles, and for once shows a slight sign of excitement himself.

'œShe is here Sahib' he says simply.

At first the Colonel seems to not comprehend his statement, but slowly it seems to dawn on him and his expression changes to one of pleasurable disbelief.

'œNo! Surely not! Already?'

'œYes Sahib, three days early no less!' he replies.

'œGood God! Oh, such a fortuitous arrival. She really couldn't have timed it better!' he gushes, hands clasped together. He seems almost overjoyed.

'œEveryone, please do follow me. There is a very special Lady that I would like you all to meet. Come, all will be explained!'

And with that he leaves the office with Maladhar, walking out onto the steps at the front door to the office, beckoning everyone to follow him
Apologies for skipping ahead but it didnt really seem like it needs everyone's comment, and wanted to keep moving. Sorry if this is a bit waffley at the moment. I assure you I am getting to the point.

FYI if anyone is starting to do head calcs for how much the Opium is worth:

Currency Exchanges: ($=arbitrary ooc currency for buying stuff)

English
1 pound (£) = $5.00 (an accounting unit only in this era, there are no £ coins or notes)
1 guinea (gold coin) = $5.25
1 shilling (silver coin) = $0.25
1 penny (copper coin) = $0.02

Indian
1 rupee = $1.25

The company has authority to mint it's own standard silver Rupees, and these are probably the most common form of cash you will encounter.

Promissory notes and notes of exchange might be given in Rupees or Pounds.

I will add this to the rules thread for reference.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Nair's silence bespeaks both patience and awe; the scale of the Colonel's vision is English in its proportions. Being beckoned from the office, she shoulders her bag and follows.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:12 pm

Payne gets up and decides not to leave any tea behind in his cup. After gulping down the last drop of the fine drink, he follows the Colonel and Nair outside, wher he picks up his precious rifle and slings it over his back, before following the Colonel.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:31 pm

"Of course," Sinclair replies with a nod. Then he rises, smooths down his coat, and follows the colonel.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Blackstone barely touches his tea. He looks at the Colonel and the 'Future of Indo-China' without a word. The Englishman turns, takes a deep breath, and follows after the others. He makes says nothing, content to listen and watch for the moment it seems.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Sidney adjusts his cap and downs his drink as well. He adjusts his belt for his weapons and starts for the door a twinkle coming to his eye as he jumps to a conclusion only a sailor could.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:38 am

Thurston stands and places his half-empty tea cup on the corner of the colonel's desk. He straitens his shirt, twirls the tips of his mustache and tries to catch a glimpse of himself in any reflective surface nearby. If this woman's arrival is so celebrated, he wants to be at his best when he meets her. Satisfied with his appearance, he joins the group outside.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:50 pm

The group file out of the office, following Colonel Hilton and Maladhar out onto the raised, patio-covered entrance at the front of the building. The position commands an excellent view of the Bengal Bay Trading Company's main dock yard, and the River Hoogly itself. Two long thin jetties extend out into the murky waters, and several local coolies are still hard at work carrying barrels and crates from the river side to the warehouses. The low sun throws up a reflected orange hue from the water onto the walls of the yard, and the faces of the group as they stare northwards.

'œThere she is gentlemen,' he says proudly, and clearly forgetting Nair's presence for a moment. 'œthe future of our company. And what a lady she is!' he gestures to the north west with his hand outstretched.

However, there is no lady in sight, just the labourers toiling to bring in the last of the day's shipments. Everyone follows the direction of the Colonel's arm up toward the horizon, and the penny drops. There, struggling up the river, against the current and towards the jetties, is the silhouette of a ship.

'œBeautiful is she not?' the Colonel murmurs, entranced.
Just for fun, and seeing as how the group seems to have a competitive edge, I've rolled vs. Sailor to see what your characters know about this ship at a glance. Check your PM's please. Might be a day or two before I've done everyone's PM.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 pm

"Yes, sir. A very beautiful... em... ship," Payne says. "Although I thought of somethin' else as ye meant 'her'. Perhaps somethin' more exotic." He trails the last words off and shoots a glance at Nair. "The lady sure is beautiful."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:26 pm

Sinclair wrinkles his nose for a moment, but quickly regains his composure. "True she's a fine schooner," he says. "Smaller than the ones I've served on, but I daresay that rigged as she is, she might be able to keep a course four points to the wind."

Her turns to face the colonel. "What's her name?" he asks. "And what kind of a crew will she have?"