Introduction: A Tale Of Two Plants

In 1798 Calcutta is a city expanding rapidly under the rule of the Honorable British East India Company. This is the time of great Indian trade fortunes, everyone from the lowliest clerk to the governors council is out to amass wealth. A man must keep his wits about him to prosper despite the corruption, the intrigue, and shrewd local traders.Run by GM 3rd-I
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Introduction: A Tale Of Two Plants

Post by TetNak » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 am

"Baltimore Clipper?" Blackstone asks, crossing his arms. "Looks like he needs some repairs," he comments, not really thinking about what the Colonel just said and his obvious admiration for the ship. He strokes his chin, "I think I know what you might have in mind with this /fine lady/," he says, more to himself than anyone else.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:00 am

'œJa, it certainly is a ship.'
Says Thurston, frowning and shrugging indifferently.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Nair nods to Payne, smiling slightly, obviously embarassed. To the ship she turns a more serious examination.

"It is an English expression, is it not, to refer to ships as women? Is this the 'lady' to which you refer?"

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 am

'œBy jove, you've got it! The 'œlady' is a genuine Baltimore Clipper!' says the Colonel to Blackstone. 'œIn fact I've managed to trace some of her history. It seems she was built in Baltimore a little over five years ago, and sold to French Privateers. The Bombay Marine Squadron caught her raiding shipping down in the Madagascan Straights last year. Apparently she'd been sailing out of Mauritius, but now she's mine! Bought her at the prize auctions a month ago, and I don't mind admitting that I've sunk everything I have into this fine boat.'

He glances at Sinclair.

'œThat is why I was meeting with Sir Arthur before you arrived. I had to secure private investment in order to afford her, and now Sir Arthur and a number of his associates own a private stake in her, but she's worth every penny! You see, this vessel is going to change the way we trade opium. These clipper hulls are the fastest design around today, and no one has managed to match the Baltimore shipyards for build quality. Combined with a topsail-rigged schooner configuration, you won't find a faster coastal smuggling vessel out there. All the other traders make the run to Canton once a year, but this lady will tack against the wind all the way to China. She's only got a small hold, but in theory we should be able to make the round trip in less than a month! Speed, not capacity, that's the key!'

He pauses.

'œYou are correct though, she suffered damage in the fighting in Madagascar and is in need of'¦.a little work I suppose. And also in need of a name, a small matter, which I believe should be left to her crew'¦.'

He turns to face the group.

'œAnd now you understand why you are here. This is far too important a ship to leave in the hands of any but my finest employees. This venture must and shall succeed! My friends, I would like you to take the lady to Canton for me.'
No rush, but have a think about names for your new vessel. She'll need one before she sets sail for Canton!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm

As the colonel speaks, Sinclair seems a bit distracted by something on the river. After a moment, the reason becomes clear.

"First we'll have to make sure we get her to the dockyard," Sinclair replies to the colonel's comment, raising an an arm and pointing upstream from the clipper. About a third of a mile upstream a boat makes its way in the general direction of the ship.

"Boarding party if I don't miss my guess," he says, pulling a spy glass from his pocket and focusing on the boat. "It's crammed with armed men," Sinclair adds, "We need to warn the ship."

"Mr Payne," he says, looking back. "Are you good enough with that rifle to hit the clipper's bell? That would at least put them on guard."
I'm not sure if I can make anything else out with the spyglass, but if so, please make note of it.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:02 pm

As the Colonel tells them that this ship will be theirs', Payne pulls his glance away from Nair. "Whaddayemean? This'll be our ship? Really?" he's puzzled by the revelation since the ship seems to hace cost the Colonel a lot and now he's giving it to this group of people, who doesn't know each other. A crooked smile comes to Payne's face as he didn't expect something that valuable coming to them. They must be the Colonel's hope, or something like that.

When Sinclair addresses him, it takes a second to get to his mind. "Em... what", he says. "Armed men?"
He slings his rifle from the shoulder and looks through the crude scope. Firstly at the boarding party and tries to figure out who's leading them, then at the clipper's bell and evaluates the distance. "Can't say it for sure," he simply replies to Sinclair.
If the ~400 yards(?) are too much or the wind's making it too risky, he'll sprint ~ 100 yards upstream and makes a shot from there. Otherwise Payne'll go to acrouching shooting position and tries to hit the bell, or if it's not good to target he'll aim at one of the men on the boat. Preferentially someone who looks like a leader.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:32 pm

I didn't think it proper to have my rifle with me at the meeting and had assumed I left with with a guard outside or something like that. I didn't post collecting it unfortunately. I'll post having it now, but if that's not cool, I'll change my post
"We need to get closer for a good shot," Blackstone says. He hoists his Fersegon Rifle off his back, which he had collected from outside when they left the colonel's office.

He prepares to rush forward but does not. Instead he checks his rifle and makes sure its preloaded as usual. "What do you want us to do, Colonel?"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Nair cannot supress a smile as the Colonel speaks of his new acquisition like an infatuated groom. Sinclair's mention of brigands, however, snaps her to attention.

"Surely, Mr. Blackstone, he wishes us to defend the ship!"

Shouldering her satchel and assuring herself of the clasp, Nair moves toward the cliper; as the suspected target of these ruffians, it is the clear spot to engage.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:37 am

'œA chance to shoot? And me without my jaeger!' laments Thurston.
'œHowever, I don't think vee should be shooting people until their intentions are clear. Zah governor frowns on killing' even Orientals.'

He moves toward the potential engagement with the rest of the group, keeping a hand close to his saber and speaking in a calm voice.

'œI think vee should name zah ship '˜Maiden's Dowry'. Since I suppose she is a beautiful woman, and she will contribute much to our arrangement.'

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:13 pm

"I've seen boarding parties," Sinclair responds. "And I've seen cutting out expeditions. The intentions of these people are very clear."
Last edited by Trogdor on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.