Chapter 1: To Save a Lady

In 1798 Calcutta is a city expanding rapidly under the rule of the Honorable British East India Company. This is the time of great Indian trade fortunes, everyone from the lowliest clerk to the governors council is out to amass wealth. A man must keep his wits about him to prosper despite the corruption, the intrigue, and shrewd local traders.Run by GM 3rd-I
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Chapter 1: To Save a Lady

Post by 3rd-I » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:45 am

Nair surges forward, knives twirling. She makes with another wide arcing slash at the boarder's waist, but its a feint and she brings her left hand up and underneath, aiming to cut the man from groin to chin. The boarder seems wise to her tactics and isn't fooled by the feint. He peddles backwards and dodges as best he can, but is still too slow to avoid the blade and the slash hits its mark spraying an arc of blood over the scrubbed wooden deck.

The knife leaves a grevious wound across the sailors chest and induces him to emit a loud grunt of agony. Somehow the old sea dog keeps his feet, and manages to blink away the pain. He stumbles backwards and desparately unslings his musket. He moves slowly and awkwardy, breathing heavily and now just trying to survive. The smile has certainly gone from his face.

Nidhi, with her prey severely wounded, prepares to deliver the coup de grace......
You can Feint and Attack in one turn, but only as part of an "All Out Attack" manouever (ie. no active defence next turn). I figured this is probably your style so.....

Nidhi: All Out Attack - Feint & Attack

Feint - Quick contest of skills
Nidhi: Knife (15) vs. Boarder: DX (??)
Nidhi: Roll 15 (Again?!) - Succeed by 0
Boarder: Roll 8 - Succeed by ??
Boarder suceeds by more - Feint Fails!

Swinging Attack vs. Torso:
15 (Skill) - 2 (Obstruction) -1 (Darkness) = 12, Roll 11 - Hit! (Yay!)

Boarder Defence Roll:
Dodge & Retreat 1 Hex NE
?? (Dodge) + 3 (Retreating) = ??, Roll 9 - Fail!

Damage:
Large Knife (Swinging) = Sw - 2
@ ST 12, Sw = 1d+2
Roll 5 = 5 dmg
No Armour - 0 DR
*1.5 for Cutting = 7 dmg

Boarder takes 7 points of Damage, 7 points of Shock and is Stunned!
HP <= 3 - Move and Dodge Halved!
Check HT to avoid knockdown, Roll 10 - Pass

Boarder:
Check HT to recover from Stunned, Roll 7 - Pass!
Step and Ready - Step 1 Hex NE & Ready Musket
Shock fades.

(The boarder is now 3 hexes away from you and your weapon reach is only C/1. If you want to attack him next turn you could combine another All Out Attack (of any sort) with a move at up to 1/2 rate, or you'll have to take 1 turn to move, then step & attack. Also, don't forget you can avoid rigging obstruction (where applicable) by using thrusting instead of swinging attacks)
Nidhi - All Out Attack

Thurston - 3/5 Climbing

Miller - 7/20 Reload

Sinclair - Waiting

Boarder - Step and Ready

Blackstone - 9/10 Reload

Payne - Waiting
Last edited by 3rd-I on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Nair registers neither joy nor sorrow at the wound she inflicts; perhaps an artisan's satisfaction awaits when she dispatches the cur.

Rushing forward, she forsakes her knives entirely with a leaping kick. Her momentum may be enough to dislodge the boarder and send him to the depths of the river, where a gut wound will make a poor swimming partner...
Let's see how Jump Kick works.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:19 am

Nidhi leaps toward the wounded sailor, thrusting a foot out at his chest. She struggles to find her range however, and the spectacular looking kick is far wide of the mark. Limping backwards the boarder grunts as he strains to bring the musket up to his shoulder. He squints down the barrel towards Nidhi, suddenly the old cur has teeth!

Over on the other side of the boat, taking cover behind the cabin, Blackstone finishes priming his musket and pulls the doghead back with a click.

Nidhi, who needs to finish her prey quickly.........
Yep, Jump Kick gives you the range you need too.

Nidhi - Step And Attack

Step NE

Attack w/ Jump Kick
10 (Skill) - 1 (Darkness) = 9, Roll 14 - Fail!
Check vs Acrobatics-2 (10) to avoid falldown: Roll 7 - Pass!

Boarder - Aim

Step NE

Aim Musket at Nidhi
Blackstone - 10/10 Reloaded

Payne - Waiting

Nidhi - Step and Attack

Thurston - 4/5 Climbing

Miller - 7/20 Reloaded (miscounted previously)

Sinclair - Wait

Boarder - Aim

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Perhaps pride renders Nair's choices poor in this melee. As if in response to the boarder's artless gun, she lunges forward, burying her knife in him. She has accepted a contract to defend this boat, and no layman with a toy will defeat her.
nothin' fancy. let's do some thrust damage.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Can we see if anyone else is in the boat looking to board? If so, an no one is there, I aim at red B that Nair's facing and will shoot after that is completed. Otherwise, I overwatch the hex for more boarders while aiming, shooting when one get's on board
Finished reloading and kneeling, Blackstone brings the rifle up again, pointing it across the ship waiting for another target to become available.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 am

Like a cat with a mouse, Nidhi decides to stop playing with her prey and finish the job. She moves rapidly and quitely over the deck and lunges foward, ducking to aim the wicked point of her knife into the sailor's gut. The boarder sees it coming and abandons his attempt to bring his musket to bear and once more back peddles, attempting to dodge the incoming blow. In his wounded state he doesn't stand a chance and the knife sinks deep into his belly. The force of Nidhi's lunge sends him tumbling backwards onto the hard floor with a thud.

Over on the starboard side of the boat, Thurston completes his ascent of the side of the boat with ease and vaults over the railing to join the fight. With the way now clear the Irishman Payne begins to climb aboard. Over behind the cabin Miller continues the lengthy process of reloading his pistol.

The boarders too recieve reinforcements. A young Indian man clambers aboard, garbed in tattered loose fitting pants, barechested with a dulled orange turban wrapped about his crown. He carries an old but wicked looking curved shortsword, similar to a european cutlass, still scabbarded at his side. Perhaps now the boarders stand a chance of gaining a foothold on the craft.

However Blackstone, who's Ferguson rifle is now ready to fire, spots the young Indian making his entrance and levels his firearm in his direction.

The now severely wounded sailor lies motionless on his back for a brief moment on the deck of the ship and appears to be finished. Suddenly he coughs and splutters, blood spraying from his mouth. Groaning with what little effort he can summon he leans upward and once more raises his musket in Nidhi's direction. This stubborn sea dog doesn't know how to die and despite his many wounds aims his musket from his back while fighting back the pain.

Nidhi, who's opponent, though beaten, still poses a threat.......
Tet, you can't see into the boarder's boat unless adjacent to the railing on that side of the boat. That said, it seems you have another volunteer for your target practice! Will execute your shot when your turn comes around.

JW, you need an All-Out-Attack in order to cover the distance between you and attack this turn. Since you really need to hit him this turn, I opted for a "determined" All-Out-Attack (as its called in 4th ed) to give +4 hit.
Thurston check vs DX-5, +5 = 13, Roll 8 - Pass!
Nidhi: All Out Attack - +4 to hit

Move NW, NE

Thrusting Attack vs. Torso
15 (Skill) -1 (Darkness) + 4 (All Out Attack) = 18, Roll 9 - Hit!

Boarder Defence Roll:
Dodge & Retreat 1 Hex NE
?? (Dodge) + 3 (Retreating) = ??, Roll 7 - Fail!

Damage:
Large Knife (Thrusting) = Thr
@ ST 12, Thr = 1d-1
Roll 4 = 3 dmg
No Armour - 0 DR
*2 for Impaling = 6 dmg

Boarder takes 6 points of Damage, 6 points of Shock and is Stunned!
Check HT to avoid knockdown, Roll 11 - Fail!
Boarder knocked to ground
HP < 0 - Check HT to remain conscious, Roll 5 - Pass!

Boarder:
Check HT to remain conscious, Roll 10 - Pass!
Check HT to recover from Stunned, Roll 8 - Pass! (one tough SOB!)
Aim musket at Nidhi
Shock fades.
Nidhi (Init 6.25) - All Out Attack

Thurston (Init 6.0) - 5/5 Climbing

Miller (Init 5.5) - 8/20 Reloaded

Sinclair (Init 5.0) - Wait

Boarder 1 (Musket) - Aim

Boarder 2 (Cutlass) - Climbing 5/5

Blackstone (Init 6.25) - Aim (1 turn) @ Boarder 2

Payne (Init 6.25) - 1/5 Climbing

Not sure if it's confusing for me to list actions in initiative order, due to people skipping turns for reloading aiming etc. Instead I'll list according to whose move it is next after my post, so you can see what order things happen in. Tell me which you prefer.
Last edited by 3rd-I on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 am

Thurston turns and gestures for the coolie to pass the rifle up to him. Once he has the rifle, he gently props the weapon against the cabin next to Blackstone, then continues forward to support Nidhi in melee. He slowly and deliberately draws his saber as he strides forward.
Moving towards the front of the ship, around the forward mast, then toward the boarders.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Nair's face shows subtle satisfaction as she rushes to the boarder across the deck slick with his gore, delivering a brutal stab to end this exchange.
determined, you say? I'll try it again, if possible.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Blackstone awaits the next victim to step into the sight of his rifle. When they do so, the rifleman fires, hoping to drop another boarder.
Will shoot. Continue to aim
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 am

Nidhi steps forwards towards her fallen opponent. She calmly ignores the musket that he has trained clumsily in her direction and concentrates soley on bringing her right hand knife down into his chest. The boarder's attempts to roll aside serve only to avoid the worst of the blow and the blade bites into his side, adding yet another wound to his growing collection of cuts and incisions. He twists aside, freeing himself from the blade and tries yet again to point his musket in Nair's direction. Though it seems inevitable that he will succumb to his injuries he bravely soldiers on for the time being.

Thurston reaches over the side of the Clipper's rail and retrieves his firearm from one of the Coolies. He moves over towards Blackstone where the Englishman's timely rifle fire is producing clouds of foul-smelling smoke, and props his rifle against the cabin behind him. With his precious firearm safely stowed, he draws his saber and makes towards the closer fighting near the bows of the clipper.

Behind Nidhi, the young Indian boarder draws his curved blade and makes towards her, hoping to catch the slender knife wielding maiden unawares. Blackstone has her covered however, and no sooner is his sword drawn than Blackstone opens fire. His shot is well aimed, and despite the rolling of the vessel the shot takes the boarder cleanly in his ribs, stopping him in his tracks. The man sways and doubles over but keeps his feet and grips his sword tightly.

Nidhi, with wounded enemies in front and behind her......
I made a mistake previously in rolling for conciousness immediately after the injury was sustained. It should wait for the start for the wounded party's next turn, hence no roll yet for the boarder wounded by Blackstone's shot (he hasn't taken a turn yet since the shot).
Nidhi: All Out Attack - +4 to hit

Move NE

Thrusting Attack vs. Torso
15 (Skill) -1 (Darkness) + 4 (All Out Attack) = 18, Roll 7 - Hit!

Boarder Defence Roll:
Dodge
?? (Dodge) - 3 (Knockdown) = ??, Roll 15 - Fail!

Damage:
Large Knife (Thrusting) = Thr
@ ST 12, Thr = 1d-1
Roll 3 = 2 dmg
No Armour - 0 DR
*2 for Impaling = 4 dmg

Boarder takes 4 points of Damage, 4 points of Shock

Boarder 1:
Check HT to remain conscious, Roll 10 (Again!) - Pass!

Aim musket at Nidhi
Shock fades.
Blackstone:

Range = 10-15 yards

Check vs. Seamanship @ IQ-4 (Default): Skill 9, roll 9 '€" Pass!

Skill 14, +2 (IQ), -1 (Lighting), -5(Range), + 0 (Aiming, one turns), +7 (Acc rating) = 17, Roll 12 '€" Hit!

Damage = 5d6 = 19

*1.5 for caliber = 28 dmg to Torso, limited to 10 by Blow-Through

Boarder 2 takes 10 points of damage, 10 points of shock and is stunned.
HT check to avoid knockdown: Roll 9 - Pass!
Nidhi (Init 6.25) - All Out Attack (Step NE)

Thurston (Init 6.0) - Step and Ready (Step W)

Miller (Init 5.5) - 9/20 Reloaded

Sinclair (Init 5.0) - Wait

Boarder 1 (Musket) - Aim

Boarder 2 (Cutlass) - Step and Ready (Step NE)

Blackstone (Init 6.25) - Fire!

Payne (Init 6.25) - 2/5 Climbing
Last edited by 3rd-I on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.