Chapter 1: To Save a Lady

In 1798 Calcutta is a city expanding rapidly under the rule of the Honorable British East India Company. This is the time of great Indian trade fortunes, everyone from the lowliest clerk to the governors council is out to amass wealth. A man must keep his wits about him to prosper despite the corruption, the intrigue, and shrewd local traders.Run by GM 3rd-I
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Chapter 1: To Save a Lady

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Can I tell if Thurston's rifle is loaded from here?
Blackstone looks up at Thurston briefly. He is quickly putting holes in the boarders, which seems the best idea at the time. Unfortunately his own group is starting to get into the way as they force melee.

The Englishman looks over at the rifle left by Thurston, attempting to see if it is loaded. If so, he replaces his own rifle there and hoists up Thurston's, aiming for the next boarder that he can shoot.

If not, he checks more completely, and follows the same path if loaded. If the rifle is not loaded, he goes about reloading his own Fergeson.
Check Thurston's rifle to see if loaded.
If so, take it, aim, overwatch entry hex. Shoot when available
If not, reload my own rifle
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Nair arcs an eyebrow as she looks behind her at the boarder. Looking toward Blackstone, she smiles and nods gracefully.

More careful now, she advances on the musketeer, knowing that a man prone is a more difficult target for the shootist among her colleagues. The man at her back will be next.
A shamefully normal thrusting attack.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Miller having finished reloading looks out and realizes he is shamefully out of effective range. "Dastardly good shooting Blackstone!" He shouts to the sniper and moves up the deck wielding his Cutlass in one hand and his pistol int he other.
Move into rnage and start aiming at the entry hex.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:35 am

Nidhi continues to rain down attacks on the fallen boarder in front of her. Wounded and tired, the man has no chance of protecting himself for long and Nidhi passes his guard once more with an overarm thrust. The knife sinks deep into his chest and Nidhi keeps pressing until she feels the point bite into deck below. The brave boarder drops his musket to the deck and writhes about, gargling and screaming, pinned to the floor. After a moment his throes cease and his body slumps; limp, lifeless, and now utterly dead.

Behind her the sword armed native, steps forward sword raised as if ready to fight on and join the afray, but he too succumbs to his wounds. He tumbles forward dropping his curved blade with a clatter and making a loud thump as his face hits the floor. His wounds might not be fatal but for him this fight is over.

Over by the cabin, Blackstone reaches back and grabs Thurston's Jaeger rifle. Flipping the frizzen open he finds the pan empty and the rifle unloaded. Replacing the German-made weapon he thumbs the breech lever of his own rifle and the block drops open, ready for reloading.

Thurston himself moves over the deck towards Nidhi who now stands with bodies either side of her. Just at this moment a third boarder vaults over the railing and onto the clipper. He has a crude hatchet hanging from his belt, which he reaches for as his feet hit the deck.
Yes, I'm cheating on the NPC spawn rate, but I figure everyone wants a chance to fight.

Tet, no there is no easy way to see if a flintlock is loaded (one reason why I have no problem with people carrying loaded weapons in the city. Though there isnt really anything unusual with carrying a loaded firearm in the colonies in this era imo). The simplest way to check is to see if there is any priming in the pan, but you have to open it. Thurston hasn't reloaded since his last shot so it is empty. I've let you check as a 1 sec action, rather generous of me I think :).

Wayloss, sorry your pistol isnt ready to fire yet. It's only 10/20 finished. You could abandon reloading and enter melee, but I'll assume you wanted to finish. You reload time is 20secs as its a standard muzzle loader. Tet's is 10 secs because its an early experimental breech loader, but it does have some drawbacks (he gets blinded on a misfire for one).
Nidhi: Standard Attack

Thrusting Attack vs. Torso
15 (Skill) -1 (Darkness) = 14, Roll 10 - Hit!

Boarder Defence Roll:
Dodge
?? (Dodge) - 4 (Lying) = ??, Roll 16 - Fail!

Damage:
Large Knife (Thrusting) = Thr
@ ST 12, Thr = 1d-1
Roll 4 = 3 dmg
No Armour - 0 DR
*2 for Impaling = 6 dmg

Boarder 1 takes 6 points of Damage, 6 points of Shock and is Stunned!

Boarder 1:
Check HT to remain conscious, Roll 7 - Pass!
Check HT to avoid death, Roll 14 - Fail! (At last!)
DEAD!

Boarder 2:
Check HT to remain conscious, Roll 12 - Fail!
UNCONSCIOUS!
Nidhi (Init 6.25) - Attack

Thurston (Init 6.0) - Moves NW, NE, NW, NE, NW, NW

Miller (Init 5.5) - 10/20 Reloaded

Sinclair (Init 5.0) - Wait

Boarder 1 (Musket) - Dies!

Boarder 2 (Cutlass) - Passes Out!

Boarder 3 (Hatchet) - Enters the fight!

Blackstone (Init 6.25) - Checks Thurston's rifle

Payne (Init 6.25) - 3/5 Climbing
Last edited by 3rd-I on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:48 am

Nair pulls her knife from the boarder's chest and turns, stomping on the neck of the unconscious man behind her. Looking up to the third boarder, she smiles wanly.
Have you come to die as well, or will you surrender?
intimidation. Pure, shameless intimidation. Will aggressive parry if attacked.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:23 am

Blackstone is back to reloading as fast as he can. He knows that likely those in the front will keep any attackers off of him until he can reload, at the very least.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:29 am

The boarder see the bodies littering the deck, and looks to his left as Nidhi utters her threatening greeting in soft Hindi tones. He pales slightly, the implications of her words unmistakable, but nonetheless spits angrily on the deck, unhooks the hatchet from his belt and steps around the corpses towards her. Meanwhile Thurston continues to cross the deck towards him, eager to join the fight.
Aplogies for delay, crappy couple of weeks @ work
Nidhi attempting to influence Boarder 3:

Quick contest of Initimidation vs. Will.

Nidhi @ Defaullt ST-5 = 7, Roll 8 - Fail by 1!

Boarder @ Will = ??, Roll 11 - Fail by 1!

Contest is a draw - No effect! (V Close, unlucky)
Nidhi (Init 6.25) - Initimdation

Thurston (Init 6.0) - Moves NW, NW, NW, NW, W, NW (PM if you wish to adjust this)

Miller (Init 5.5) - 11/20 Reloaded

Boarder 3 (Hatchet) - Step and Ready (Hatchet)

Blackstone (Init 6.25) - Reload 1/10

Payne (Init 6.25) - 4/5 Climbing

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Very well. Come and die!
Nidhi settles into a defensive stance, ready to cut the boarder down as he approaches.
aggressive parry; let me show you it.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 am

Thurston advances quickly but methodically. Nidhi doesn't seem hard-pressed, so there is no reason to run haphazardly to her rescue.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:51 am

Nidhi baits the boarder and draws her wicked blades up into a tight guard, ready to strike at the man's axe as he advances. However Thurston's steady approach catches his eye and he turns to address the threat to his flank.

Thurston advances on him calmly, his saber presented in the classic fencing manner, a clear indication that he has been well schooled in the more gentlemanly aspects of swordmanship. The boarder looks for an opening and brings his axe down in an overhead swing that looks set to take the German in his near shoulder. Thurston sees it coming, steps backwards and barely gets his saber to it in time to swat the hatchet aside.

As the melee resumes on the port side of the ship two fresh combatants enter the fight. The Irishman Payne swings both legs over starboard railing and turns to offer an oustretched hand to Doctor Sinclair, whilst behind the axe-armed boarder another burly sailor completes his ascent and finds himself aboard the clipper. With a dagger clenched between his teeth and chunky pistol stuffed in his belt he is immediately close to the action.
Nidhi: All-Out-Defence

Thurston: Move NE, NW (You could have attacked if you had gone all-out but your description was more cautious than this)

Boarder 3: Standard Attack on Thurston

Swinging Attack vs. Torso
Skill ?? - 1 (darkness) = ??, Roll 9 - Hit!

Thurston Defence Roll (Assumed you wouldn't mind retreating one hex since you have loads of space)
Parry 10 (2/3 Fencing) + 3 (Retreat SE) = 13, Roll 13 - Success (Lucky!)

Boarder's axe is now unready!
Payne: Skill 8 (Default DX-5) + 5 = 13, Roll 5 - Pass!
Nidhi (Init 6.25) - All-Out Defence

Thurston (Init 6.0) - Moves NE, NW

Miller (Init 5.5) - 12/20 Reloaded

Boarder 3 (Hatchet) - Standard Attack

Boarder 4 (Knife and Pistol) - Enters the fight!

Blackstone (Init 6.25) - Reload 2/10

Payne (Init 6.25) - 5/5 Climbing (Will assist Sinclair next turn if you still wish)
Last edited by 3rd-I on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.