Sorry Folks

OOC forum for For King and Company
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry Folks

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:09 am

I think this will come as no real suprise to anyone, but I want to ditch this game.

I think I've just been over ambitious with it. Whilst I'm happy with some of it, the amount of work that I need to do in order to keep it going has rapidly made it feel like a chore, and I'm not really enjoying it. Added to a recent bump in my workload at the office its pretty much ground to a halt.

It's getting to the point where I'm avoiding logging in because I cant face crafting another post, and my performance on the games that I'm a player in is suffering accordingly. Since I really want to keep playing on those (games that I really enjoy) I think its best that I put this game to bed.

I want to go back to just playing games and not running them. I wont rule out a return to GM'ing one day, but it would have to be much smaller in scope.

Thanks to all for playing, and sorry that you didnt get a chance to do more with your characters. I know some of you put a lot of effort into them.

Tet, can you send this to the graveyard please?

3I

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Sorry Folks

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 am

Sure. I'll wait until everyone has seen it, though, so it doesn't just up and disappear on them.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 am

I've seen it. It was nice as long as it went, though.

Thanks, 3rd-I.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 am

I greatly enjoyed the game (and the concept). But I totally understand. I had two games end for just that reason. And it was only when I was pretty damn sure I had a better handle on some of the difficulties in running a game (for me it was mostly the maps) that I started my third.

GURPS is also a very complicated game. It can really overwhelm you as a player, much less a GM.

No one's going to blame you for canceling the game. We're sad that the game has to end. But as you say, we all mostly saw the writing on the wall. But it happens. Better that you be honest enough with yourself and your players about that.

And now you can get back to posting for the games you're playing without guilt.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 am

Sure had fun with it. What a great historical setting for a game.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:31 pm

I agree. I've experimented with GURPS a few times now. It is crazy complicated, and not easy to implement in PbP. I really, really, liked this game though, and am sorry to see it go.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks to everyone for your understanding and kind words. Nice to know people enjoyed the game despite its brief duration.

A few lessons I'll take on board if I return to GM'ing:

Fewer players - I think 6 was too many for GURPS

Not Blackpowder - Its my favourite era but the long reload times mean a lot of bookkeeping, and since ranged combat gets mixed in with melee it forces the need for detailed maps and advanced combat.

Fewer rules - With GURPS you have to pick and choose which rules to bother with and which to leave out, and I just tried to implement too many.

Ah well, live and learn.

Thanks again for playing

3I