Campaign Settings

OOC forum for For King and Company
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Campaign Settings

Post by 3rd-I » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am

This thread is for the discussion of the details of the campaign setting.

I understand that the setting is a bit different from the norm for this site, and given that the players will have varying degrees of familiarity with the period I want to make sure we go with something that will keep everyone interested.

The wars resulting from the ascension of Napoleon to Emperor of France spread to the colonies of all the major empires, resulting in conflict on almost every continent. There is therefore an embarrassment of riches when it comes to choosing a theatre. Here's a brief list of some of the most iconic conflicts of the period. Please feel free to suggest your own.

Napoleon's winter retreat from Moscow during the disastrous Russian campaign of 1812.

The increase of British control in India through the conquests and political dealings of the East India Company over the Marathas Confederacy and the Sultan of Mysore.

The French expedition to Egypt and subsequent conflicts with the Mamelukes and the Ottoman Turks.

The French occupation of Spain and the ensuing Peninsular war fought against the British troops of the Duke of Wellington, and the Spanish guerrilla partisans.

The 100 days campaign fought in the Netherlands between the French and the Prussian and Anglo-Dutch armies, leading to the infamous battle of Waterloo.

I'm happy to run pretty much anything that grabs people's imagination.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Re: Campaign Settings

Post by Wayloss » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm primarily for the peninsular war, guerrilla action is more fitting for players then massed combat. But I could do the indian campaign.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 am

Regardless of the theatre I will be looking to down-size combats to the usual handful of characters per side. I can think of plenty of ways to do this so I wouldn't let that unduly affect your preference. That said, it is definately easier to do in the context of guerrilla actions.

Also, mass combat will not happen frequently, but it will definately happen at some point!

Judging from the PMs I've recieved so far I have 2 players in favour of a Spanish partisan campaign, but one against.

Perhaps India is a good compromise?

Players could be drifters/adventurers/merchants in the employ of a new start-up trade operation. Dodgy dealings and night time scuffles aplenty on the ruthless streets and winding back alleys of Calcutta!

Also gives a few more options for naval orientated characters.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:20 am

India might be a good place for a more stealth-and-espionage campaign. If anyone is actually against a setting, we should avoid it.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:38 am

I was the one against the Spanish stuff, but I'm down for anything in truth.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:39 am

I'm just finishing book 16 of the Aubrey-Maturin series, so I have to admit, I know a lot more about the naval side of things. (And find it a bit more interesting.)

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

Ok, sounds like the Honourable British East India Company beckons! (Which is an excuse for me to buy books!)

Anything in the East Indies is bound to include sailing at some point, and I will ensure that it does if it grabs your interest, Trogdor.

So now to decide what sort of group the players represent.

The crew of a Privateer vessel?

Employees of the East India Company or the Bombay Marines? (The company's private army & navy)

An entrepreneurial group of merchants and adventurers seeking to join the ranks of the wealthy Nabobs?

Smugglers attempting to thwart the company's monopoly and duties?

Rootless drifters seeking any and all employment?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:39 am

Privateers sound pretty good, it'd give us flexibility. I'd say anything that does that (gives us flexibility) would be cool.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Privateers or adventurers, for my money. Anything that could make me a nabob gets +2.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Please, let's not say privateer. The more honourable term is 'letter of marque,' or if you must, 'private man of war.'

;-)

The real question is how much on the up-and-up do we want to be. It should come as no surprise that I would prefer to be acting relatively legally (adventurers, letter or marque, merchants, BEIC employees, etc.)