Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Campaign Settings

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Guilty as charged.

Partly it's also that having read so many books about the British navy, I'd be inclined to play a character associated with it.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks. This is all good feedback. Think I've got a good idea of what you're all after now.

Give a day or so to get some ideas down. This is turning out quite different from my original ideas (NOT a bad thing by any means), so I need to draft a few ideas.

I may steer away from being full on Privateers (sorry, private men of war :p), and more towards being "adventurers with maritime interests" if you get my meaning. The main reason for this being I still want the majority of combat to be land based.

I'm afraid I can't quite guarantee it will all be "above board", Trogdor. I had plans to make such scoundrels of you all! Perhaps your character might be a disgraced former officer?

You will almost certainly end up in the employ of the British East India Company, but its not as if the company always acted in a strictly legal way. Eg. The issue of smuggling Opium to China.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:15 pm

I like it, lots.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 pm

So, if I begged for 4E that probably wouldn't change your mind, right?

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Only if everyone begged.

3rd Ed is just what I'm familiar with, and the 4th Ed range of books is very small in comparison (No 4th Ed AoN for one thing).

I far as I have seen, there arent that many changes, it's just that 4th Ed served to "tidy up" what was a somewhat messily writtten ruleset.

I'd probably even acknowledge that 4th Ed is strictly better, but as its my first game, I'd rather stick with a set I know.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:17 pm

My lip is pouty! Ok, I'll have to dig up my 3E books, though I don't even know if I have them anymore.

But, as a note about 3E source books, most don't have too much crunchyness in them at all ...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I have both and think they're both needlessly complex. So I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 am

If ever there were two words to describe GURPS, Trog, 'needlessly complex' would fit perfectly.

As to edition, I have more 4e on hand, but it's the GM's choice.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 am

Indeed. The skill with GURPS, in my experience, is deciding which rules to implement and which to leave out. But I think thats what they always intended, if you actually tried to enforce everything you'd go insane. It's about picking out the bits that give the game the flavour you want.

Anyways, I'll have a full campaign brief up by the end of weekend, and then we can move to character generation.