Rules & Queries

OOC forum for For King and Company
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Rules & Queries

Post by 3rd-I » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

I will be implementing a number of optional rules in order to given a good period flavour to the game. I will keep a list on this thread to consolidate the rules and so people know what to look out for. Please also put any rules queries here.

Tech Level
Tech levels for this period are a bit odd. The tech level is mostly TL4, with TL5 just starting to kick in. Anything from TL4 (Chapter 4, GURPS: High Tech) is ok, check if in doubt for TL5.

For some reason flintlock weaponry is discussed under TL4, but then listed as TL5 in the weapon tables.

Prices and starting wealth (and any other situation where a specific TL is required) should be based on TL5 . Equipment from the fantasy/medieval tables in the basic set may be used. Divide prices by 20 to get approximate prices for the era.

Muskets and Rifles in Melee

Muskets as Clubs
Muskets or Rifles can be swung by the barrel and used as a crude club. Treat it as a maul. Damage and Max ST both drop by 2. Skill to use is Two-handed Axe/Mace - 1

Bayonets
Treat a Musket or Rifle with a bayonet fitted as a spear. The weapon is used two handed with a maximum reach of 1. Skill to use is Spear - 1. If a socket type bayonet is used the weapon can still be fired at skill - 1. Fixing the bayonet is a long-action requiring 4 seconds.

Punching with the butt of the Musket
The butt of the musket or rifle can be used as an improvised weapon using DX or Brawling. Skill is -2 but damage is +2.

Pistols as Weapons
Pistols can be used as improvised blackjacks. Effective skill and damage are both at -1.

Black Powder Reliability

Black Powder Fouling
Firing black powder weapons produces large quantities of unburnt solids that fouls the barrel if not frequently cleaned. For each five shots fired without cleaning the loading time increases by 10%, the user effective skill is at -1, and the Malf number decreases by 1. Cleaning the weapon takes 2 minutes with the correct tools.

Wet Weather Firing
Powder had to be kept dry in order for the weapon to function reliably. In light rain the Malf number decreases by 2. In heavy rain or blowing spray the Malf number decreases by 4. In driving rain or heavy surf it is reduced by 6.

Drawing a Charge
If, following a malfunction, the normal "immediate action" fails to cure the problem there may be no option but to "draw the charge" using a worm. This takes four times the loading time for the weapon and a successful roll against Black Powder Weapons or Armourer. Failure adds a further full loading time to the time to draw the charge. Critical failure damages the weapon.

Loading Black Powder Weapons

Loading Times
Loading any muzzle loading black powder weapon is a long action. If the weapon is smooothbore it takes 40 seconds with loose powder and ball. Paper cartridges reduce loading times to 20 seconds. Loading from prone, sitting or kneeling increases loading time by 50%, except for pistols.

For rifled weapons, loading with loose powder, ball and greased leather ball wraps takes 40 seconds. It only takes 30 seconds with regular cartridges but at 2/3 Acc.

Careful Loading
Black powder small arms were more reliable and accurate when time could be taken to load precisely and carefully. This is why commanders liked to save the first volley until as late as possible. A Black Powder weapon is at +1 effective skill if 3 times the standard loading time is used.

Period Melee Weapons

Swords and Blades
Heavy cavalry, straight edged swords count as broadswords.

Sabres carried by light cavalry and infanty officers count as shortswords.

Basket Hilts are available and give PD3 and DR5 to the sword hand. It gives PD1 to the whole body against melee weapons. They can used to punch with at DX - 2, or Brawling -2, and +2 damage. They add 1lb and 25% cost to a weapon.

Sword Bayonets can be used as a Bayonet as above, or wielded in one hand as a large knife.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Rules & Queries

Post by 3rd-I » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Currency Exchanges:

($=arbitrary ooc currency for buying stuff)

English
1 pound (£) = $5.00 (an accounting unit only in this era, there are no £ coins or notes)
1 guinea (gold coin) = $5.25
1 shilling (silver coin) = $0.25
1 penny (copper coin) = $0.02

Indian

1 rupee = $1.25

The company has authority to mint it's own standard silver Rupees, and these are probably the most common form of cash you will encounter.

Promissory notes and notes of exchange might be given in Rupees or Pounds.