Character Creation

OOC forum for For King and Company
3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Character Creation

Post by 3rd-I » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:38 pm

GURPS = Roll under your effective skill on 3D6

I'm fine with you joining up, even with little/no experience, but you will need access to the books somehow because I'm planning on running this with advanced combat. You might find character generation "interesting" too but I can help out with that.

Irish soldiers made up almost a third of the British Army during this period, so an Irish ex-soldier is a good character!

Potentially six players in this game now! Going to have to close the doors on this one for the time being. Slightly overwhelmed truth be told. :)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Not to hijack, but I want to run a GURPS historical-esque game as well, so players interested in another game should get with me.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:59 pm

HIJACKER!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 am

I was also thinking of possibly going the surgeon/physician route - making a sformer ship's surgeon. Either that or a beached naval lieutenant. I'm still working on the concept.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:51 pm

I had a definite inspiration as I was getting ready for bed last night.

The character concept is a middle class Scottish physician who turned to the navy when he couldn't get his practice going. He also is a natural philosopher (i.e., scientist) and liked the idea of going to far away places to see the flora and fauna (and especially the insects.)

He sailed for a while and did okay in the way of prize money. So when his ship was severely damaged and laid up in drydock for half a year or more in India, he decided to take his leave and turn to natural philosophy on the sub-continent.

So, living off an annuity from the prize money, he's taken some rooms in Calcutta and makes occasional trips inland to gather specimens. Ultimately he'd like to make his name in the scientific world, even joining the Royal Society or the French Institute. He hopes to be able to do that with his scientific finds.

Of course, it would certainly help to have the means to finance expeditions or a patron to do so. That's left him more than willing to take some freelance work to get recognition, money, etc.

He'd have some basic combat skills (guns and fencing), but he'd be primarily a patch 'em up type. Having served as a naval surgeon, he's quite experienced with the injuries of war.

I also have the idea that he's gone a bit native and may well have some of the survival, tracking, and woodwise skills that he's picked up in his expeditions.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Very nice! Loads of scope to use those skills, with so much money based on trade in cash crops (indigo, cotton, tea et.) having someone familiar with plants is bound to come in handy. And there should be plenty of insects where youre going.

They added a new advantage in GURPS: Age of Napoleon, called "Independent Income". It's there to represent income sources just like your character's prize annuity so you could use that if like. Patrons are good too though.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Trogdor's char idea reminds me of the scottish engineer (Hogan?) need to pull out my book. I think we need a good 'ole merchant/smuggler for the group perfect for the not quite "above the board" company.

Now I need to see if I have 3E books, I know I have 4E.

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Hogan was Irish! Maybe Trogdor should take addiction to Snuff!

It will certainly will help if at least one person takes some merchant type skills.

Also would like to see at least one player with enough skills to command one of the company's Dhows. Leadership, seamanship, navigation etc.

Of course it could be the same person for both...
Last edited by 3rd-I on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm

I plan on playing someone that has been in the area for a long time. He's been used as a guide and translator. He will likely be British.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

3rd-I
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 3rd-I » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Nice, there will definately be a need for a translator, especially if your ever intend going very far eastwards.

So tentatively we are looking at a possible balance of:

TetNak: British Translator/Guide
Trogdor: Scottish Naval Surgeon/Physician
Wayloss: Merchant/Smuggler
Orvost: German Mercenary
JohnnyWierd: Indian Knife Fighter
Hayabusa: Irish Former Soldier

(At this rate you'll need Tet just to be able to talk to each other)

None of this fixed of course, but the balance looks workable I think, got some fighters and some skill monkeys.

Shall we try to have draft character sheets by Friday?