PREAMBLE: A Rather Well Moonlit Evening.

"In a sullen mining town called Diamond Lake, cultists beholden to the Way of the Ebon Triad walk widdershins around an ancient pool, chanting time-lost rituals to summon a tripartite god. Three days to the south, where the hills meet the fetid shores of a great swamp, a tribe of lizardfolk gathers to raid a human fortress, whipped into frenzy by a zealous black dragon. The hills crawl with undead creatures infested with wriggling green worms. Hulking abominations in the distant Rift Canyon undulate with paroxysms of near-forgotten obedience to a long-absent lord. They sense with excitement the impending return of their wicked sovereign. Kyuss stirs in his prison outside reality. The Age of Worms is at hand!"

The Age of Worms Adventure Path is a complete Dungeons & Dragons campaign that will take your adventurers from the down-and-dirty days of 1st level to the heights of power at 20th.

Run by the DM Eanwulf.
Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Gambling Insight OOC

Post by Anorin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:16 am

Arianna smiles, "Then I shall do so." Arianna makes good on her promise to rent the pieces, then thinking for a moment she hands brother Jonus her pouch of gold, "don't take too much out of that, it's all I have." she then speaks as if a queen giving a knight a royal duty, though her voice is little more than a whisper. "I give this to you with the confidence that you'll exercise descretion and the desire that Khellek doesn't realize we are working together." With that she looks for a suitable place so that she may see Khellek's hands from a different angle than Brother Jonus, and still be somewhat discreet.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

A Friendly Game of Dragonchess?

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:27 am

Their plans made, the two heroes quickly set about paying Nerrona for two sets of dragonchess pieces and hurriedly make their way to a suitable spot in which to observe Khellek from. Brother Jonus then takes the time to give Lady Arianna a basic understanding of the game before finally dismissing himself and heading back over towards the wizard's alcove. The young cleric soon finds that no one has yet to enter Khellek's niche and that the balding wizard still sits broodingly inside of the recess, apparently rather pissed. Casually, Brother Jonus steps in front of the curtained entrance to Khellek's alcove and slowly pokes his head inside.

"What in the Nine Hells do you want!?" the wizard exclaims angrily.

Meanwhile, Arianna continues to observe her companion from a distance - all the while toying with her game pieces and trying to remember all that Brother Jonus has told her. After a minute or two, a lithe and intellectual looking man of his mid 40's slowly approaches Arianna's table and inquires.

"Good evening m'lady. Care for a game of Dragonchess?"
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A Friendly Game of Dragonchess?

Post by Anorin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:06 am

Arianna smiles at the man in front of her, well it could give me a good cover... but I don't have any money, I gave that to Brother Jonus, and what if I miss Khellek's cheating because of this game? "I'm afraid sir I'm not in the gambling mood, but if it were a friendly game perhaps I could be persuaded. Though I warn you my eyes have a tendancy to wander when I think, and I am very new to the game."
If he does sit down, she'll keep her eyes on Khellek a good amount of the time, taking advantage of her INT to keep an accurate picture of the board in her head, so she can think about the game while watching him.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: A Friendly Game of Dragonchess?

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 am

The thin and wiry man listens politely to Arianna and overall, doesn't appear to take any offence with her reply. He even seems to be rather gracious, going so far as to reply back. 'œBelieve it or not, I find your comments to be somewhat of a great relief. You see, I actually prefer to play nothing but friendly games of Dragonchess myself - there being an overabundance of '˜undesirables' and what not typically found milling about the place during the holiday season. If you would allow me the honor, I would enjoy playing you in a friendly game most immensely, and would be more than willing to instruct you in the finer arts of playing the game itself!'

Once allowed to, the middle-aged man politely takes a seat and continues, 'œThe name is Bleer - Enus Bleer - and once we are all done setting up, I shall then do my best to walk you through a game or two.' Arianna nods cordially to the man as he takes his seat and then proceeds to position his playing pieces upon the gaming boards. The impartial elf does her best to feign as much interest as she can as the willowy man then begins to ramble on about the finer arts of playing Dragonchess and the various stratagems contained within the game. She even finds herself at times, smiling quite uncontrollably as she soon notices that the good Master Enus has become so self-absorbed in teaching her the game, that he has become quite oblivious to her act of spying on Khellek's alcove. A prolonged period of silence however, soon informs the attractive wizardress that the lithe man has finally finished arranging his game pieces and is currently awaiting her first move.
Mr. Bleer is somewhat of a blabbermouth and loves to talk about Dragonchess! There shouldn't be any problem feigning a game in order to spy on Brother Jonus '€" should they ever choose to actually play! Will give Illeveun a chance to reply and then make a Distracted (-5) Gaming check to see the outcome of your current game. Who knows, you might actually wind up beating this guy!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Time to Play the Game...

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:39 am

"What in the Nine Hells do you want!?" Khellek exclaims angrily.

'œUhm, 'œBrother Jonus replies suavely, 'œWhat would anyone else here want but to play a game of Dragonchess of course!' From the glare that is returned, it is quite obvious that Khellek is still quite angry at Auric's previous outburst and the irate wizard begins to eye Brother Jonus quite skeptically for several moments before finally commenting. 'œFine then, so be it! Sit down and let us begin, I haven't got all night you know!' Somewhat surprised to see the young priest actually complying with his wishes, the balding wizard's attitude then becomes much more relaxed and couth. Whilst positioning his pieces upon the battlefield, Khellek adds, 'œYou must forgive my previous outburst. I was angry at someone. Nevertheless, shall we begin? What say you '€" should we make this a gentleman's game? Let us say 25 gp goes to the victor!?'

Brother Jonus thinks for a moment before giving his actual reply. The young cleric does his best to calculate what little coin he himself has left and even begins to pat Arianna's coin purse instinctively under the table subconsciously with one hand. Realizing that he simply does not have enough gold, the young priest then does his best to feign an answer. 'œTwenty gold might be a little too steep for me right now tonight my friend. I have already lost so much and I still have a rather hefty bar tab to pay before I head home! Perhaps we could make the stakes a little less? Let's say a standard bet of 10 gold, winner takes all?' Immediately upon hearing the cleric's comments, a frown of disgust falls upon Khellek's face. For a time, the wizard almost seems as if he is about to stand up and refuse Brother Jonus' offer entirely. Fortunately for everyone in the room, the rather reluctant wizard eventually agrees to his opponent's offer and the pair's game of Dragonchess soon begins. Likewise, from a carefully chosen perch across the room, Lady Arianna begins her game as well.

The next hour or so is spent pitting all four opponents' wits against one another'¦
Rules are simple: Opposed Profession (gambler) checks. Winner is the higher of the two totals.

[Brother Jonus' Profession check, d20 + 4 = 23]

[Khellek's Profession check, d20 + 7 = 22]

Brother Jonus is the Victor! Congratulations!

[Arianna's Profession check, d20 + 1 = 14]

[Enus Bleer's Profession check, d20 + 4 = 19]

Enus is the Victor! Sorry'¦
Enus and Arianna's game is the first to finish. The noble elf does her best to feign enough interest in her opponent in order to maintain the clever ruse of spying upon Khellek and Brother Jonus. Meanstwhile, the good Master Bleer continues to ramble blindly on and on about the various specifics of the game and how each move should represent the utmost careful of planning as well as the willingness to sacrifice any given piece at a moment's notice. Though she does indeed find the stratagem of the game to her liking, Arianna cannot help herself and soon becomes quite bored with Enus' teachings and eventually finds herself all but ignoring the skinny man completely. By the end of their match, the young wizardress sadly realizes that she has both lost to her opponent as well as apparently offended him. Having been raised to be nothing less than a refined gentleman, Master Enus simply thanks Arianna for the game and dismisses himself politely. Once Master Bleer has gone, Arianna quickly turns her full attentions towards Brother Jonus and Khellek who are just about to finish with their game.
Arianna made almost all of her Spot checks and didn't manage to find Khellek cheating in any way. Both she and Brother Jonus did however, eventually realize that the wizard sports a shiny silver ring of simple design upon the third finger of his right hand. The face of the ring is about the most decorative feature of the ring and bears an eight-pointed star symbol upon it. Sadly, neither of you can place what or where the image comes from.
Brother Jonus has done his best to thwart every advance that Khellek has made against him thus far and despite his opponent's superior skill, remains fortunate enough to hold his own. One well placed piece after another and the young warpriest soon finds himself in position enough to launch a rather relentless counter-offensive. Khellek's face grows dark and red as suddenly realizes his opponent's spot of good fortune and with each failed attempt at retaking the board, the aging wizard grows more and more annoyed with his opponent. By the time that Brother Jonus places his last piece and the game finally ends, the wizard is nearly fuming! Smiling humbly, Brother Jonus simply thanks Khellek for the game and waits patiently for his adversary to pay him. "Bah," the Khellek exclaims gruffly as he stomps to his feet, "Here's your damned money!" After slamming a small bag of coins upon the table, he then adds, "I thank you for the game. Now if you will excuse me, I have more important affairs to attend to!" In a flurry of angered movement, the wizard then storms off out of his alcove!
Good Job on the Die Rolls!

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Time to Play the Game...

Post by Anorin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Upon seeing the star Arianna considers for a moment casting a cantrip that would allow her to see magic, no, if I'm caugh then I could be accused of trying to cheat. She thanks Mister Enus for the game as politely as she can trying not to offend him more than she already has. Upon seeing Khellek leave Aianna collects everything she had at the table and goes to join brother Jonus.
"How did you fare? I am somewhat curious what that wizard's business is that had him storming off like that. Would you like to follow him?" Arianna appears hopeful that he'll say yes, only just starting to figure out the competition.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Collecting Debts and Chasing Wizards

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:54 am

'œI actually won!' Brother Jonus exclaims surprisingly. 'œI don't quite know how, but I actually won!' The young cleric promptly returns Arianna's coin purse to her with several new additions tucked neatly inside of it before commencing to brag about how shocked he is to have actually defeated his opponent. The two then chat away for several more moments before Lady Arianna suggests following Khellek. From the look upon Brother Jonus' face, he is somewhat skeptical about chasing out after the angry wizard, but in the end, finally relents to his companion's wishes and the two soon head outside.
Taking liberties with Illueven's character as he and his computer are still in limbo. Hope it gets fixed soon brotherman!

This portion of the preamble is essentially over and the new one will commence shortly. Until then, Game On!