PREAMBLE: A Rather Well Moonlit Evening.

"In a sullen mining town called Diamond Lake, cultists beholden to the Way of the Ebon Triad walk widdershins around an ancient pool, chanting time-lost rituals to summon a tripartite god. Three days to the south, where the hills meet the fetid shores of a great swamp, a tribe of lizardfolk gathers to raid a human fortress, whipped into frenzy by a zealous black dragon. The hills crawl with undead creatures infested with wriggling green worms. Hulking abominations in the distant Rift Canyon undulate with paroxysms of near-forgotten obedience to a long-absent lord. They sense with excitement the impending return of their wicked sovereign. Kyuss stirs in his prison outside reality. The Age of Worms is at hand!"

The Age of Worms Adventure Path is a complete Dungeons & Dragons campaign that will take your adventurers from the down-and-dirty days of 1st level to the heights of power at 20th.

Run by the DM Eanwulf.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Perchance to Encounter

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 am

As the two make their way over towards the Feral Dog a man wearing neatly tailored red and gray robes casually begins to approach them from amongst the crowd. The man is of average height and build and has a somewhat 'weathered' complexion. His green expressive eyes seem to be friendly enough and shine in the moonlight with bright intelligence. The man's hair is kept combed back away from his face and - much like his large black beard - is held neatly in place by tiny silvered collars and clasps. The man smiles politely as he approaches, his attentions focused more-so upon Lady Arianna rather than Brother Jonus. "Good Evening..." he eventually says with a smile.
BROTHER JONUS? You recognize the man instantly as the Wizard Allustan - brother to the Governor-Mayor Lanod Neff - and perhaps the smartest man in all of Diamond Lake. What he would want with Arianna however, still remains a mystery.

ARIANNA? The man's face seems familiar, but then again most humans seem to be familiar in one fashion or another. Though you can't quite place whom the man is, you definitely recognize him wearing the trappings of a wizard - a somewhat potent one at that. Maybe he wants to talk shop?
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Perchance to Encounter

Post by Illeveun » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 am

"Good evening to you as well, Mr. Neff," Brother Jonus says, giving a short bow. He was afraid that the man approaching them was one of ill-intentions, but seeing his garb he quickly found that this was a man of no harm. To start up a conversation with the man, and eventually find out what he wanted, Jonus said, "Such a fine moon tonight, isn't it? Better than the past years, I would say. There's something about it which gives this night such a mystical air, where in the others it was only a large silver dish in the sky."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:17 am

The man, continuing to smile, suddenly turns his focus towards Brother Jonus, replying: "My word, what an excellent observation young cleric! I was just commenting to my brother earlier this evening about the virtual 'plethora' of paranormal activity found within this most profound time of celestial convergence. The Mistress and the Handmaiden (Moons of Greyhawk) most assuredly have some rather wondrous things in store for us this year!" Realizing that he has strayed from his purpose, the man quickly turns back towards Arianna, adding: "You must forgive me M'lady. I am Allustan Neff, a wizard by trade and historian by nature. I was wondering, were you yourself trained in the Arts? If so, I might have a proposition for you that you may find to your liking..."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Arianna Curtsies, "a pleasure to meet you master Neff, I am Arianna Keribar, I studied the Arts in The Greyhawk Guild of Wizardry." Rising Aianna smiles kindly to Neff and continues, "I am most interested in hearing this proposal. Although, there's something about you, I feel like I've seen you before." Arianna waits for the man to continue. She continues to study him closely, trying to figure out where she's seen him before.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:38 am

'œI knew it,' the wizard exclaims gleefully, 'œYou're Lord Korvan's daughter!' He then adds, 'œOh my, but it isn't it a most fortuitous occasion meeting you here this evening!? What's that, I look familiar? Oh yes, but of course '€" my word such a memory! I stood in on a lecture that your mother was giving at the University one week dealing with Elven History. Oh how I do love History! But that was what, ten years ago or more - and you still recognize my face!? How splendid '€" you elves and your memories'¦'

Realizing that he has once again let himself become strayed from the topic at hand, Allustan Neff quickly gathers his senses and continues. 'œBut I did not come over here to reminisce with you my dear child; best we let that lie until another day. I happened to notice that you carried yourself with the confident air of a wizard and was simply wondering if you would perhaps like to do some scribing work for me? The pay is well enough and I promise not to take up too much of your time '€" perhaps a day or so? You see, I have several pages left to finish in this one manuscript dealing with the practical applications of feather fall and I had hoped to have had it finished sooner. Now alas, my brother has sadly '€" despite my strongest wishes not to '€" already booked me with an entire week's worth of various activities and functions to attend to. I would so like to have the pages finished by the time I finally return home'¦'

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

Arianna nods smiling, ten years isn't so long for an elf. Then as she begins to answer a strange thing happens, she blushes, "of course master Neff I would be more than happy to help you, but I must admit to a defeciency in writing a manuscript on Feather Fall... I do not know the Feather Fall spell."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

A playful smile creeps across Allustan's face as he listens to Arianna. The tall mage continues to smirk and chuckles softly as he gives his reply. 'œNo'¦no'¦no'¦my dear, you have me all wrong! I do not actually need you to '˜scribe' the spell itself, but rather to use my compiled notes in order to finish writing the last of the dissertation itself! You see, I am in need of someone that is '˜familiar' with the numerous arcane glyphs and sigils that are sadly the accoutrement of our trade.' He then goes on to add, 'œAs I have just mentioned previously, my single-minded brother has already seemed to have chosen how it is I am to spend the rest of my week here in town and am regretfully unable to finish the article myself. I would however, love to have the paper done by the time that I am finally free. This would be where you came in..."

After a moment or two to reflect, Allustan then inquires. "What say you my dear, would you be interested in such an endeavor?"
BROTHER JONUS? As Allustan & Arianna chat, you notice the tall muscular form of Auric (one of the 3 adventurers headed towards Stirgenest Cair - see pre-PREAMBLE for more info) leaving the Feral Dog. He appears to be somewhat drunk and highly irate!

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Arianna looks a little abashed by her misunderstanding, and seeks to correct it earnestly, "I apologise for my misunderstanding Master Neff, of course I would be glad to help you, and I will try to do your work justice... but please where are the notes and the manuscript itself?"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 pm

"Oh my word," exclaims Allustan with exuberant glee, "Most Excellent!"

...The lean mage then begins to instruct Arianna on how to reach his manor and informs her that a servant will be awaiting her arrival tomorrow with all the necessary documents and what not...

Having concluded his inquiry, Allustan promptly clicks his heels together and bows gracefully. "If you two would now please excuse me, I have to attend to my brother. He is about to give a speech within town square and has 'requested' that I attend. /sigh"
Feel free to respond with a question or two if you so desire, otherwise I'm gonna give Illeveun a chance to respond to his observation before moving onwards.

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:04 am

Brother Jonus' attention soon wavers from the mage as he sees Auric stumble from the tavern, apparently highly intoxicated. As soon as Allustan is out of earshot he whispers over to Arianna, refraining from pointing so that his object of interest is not perceived by anyone else, "Look, over there, towards the Feral Dog- it's that fool adventurer Auric! He seems to be drunk, exceedingly angry. If you want a chance to examine these three, this might be the time."