PREAMBLE: Regrouped and Time to Saddle Up!

"In a sullen mining town called Diamond Lake, cultists beholden to the Way of the Ebon Triad walk widdershins around an ancient pool, chanting time-lost rituals to summon a tripartite god. Three days to the south, where the hills meet the fetid shores of a great swamp, a tribe of lizardfolk gathers to raid a human fortress, whipped into frenzy by a zealous black dragon. The hills crawl with undead creatures infested with wriggling green worms. Hulking abominations in the distant Rift Canyon undulate with paroxysms of near-forgotten obedience to a long-absent lord. They sense with excitement the impending return of their wicked sovereign. Kyuss stirs in his prison outside reality. The Age of Worms is at hand!"

The Age of Worms Adventure Path is a complete Dungeons & Dragons campaign that will take your adventurers from the down-and-dirty days of 1st level to the heights of power at 20th.

Run by the DM Eanwulf.
Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Stop Look What's That Sound

Post by Anorin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:42 am

Arianna tosses him the enchanted wood saying, "the search will go faster with the light." Turning to Marak she says smiling slightly, "well seems we are at your mercy Marak, you're the only one who can see well right now." Patting the ground next to her she calls Silas over and proceeds to scratch behind his ears, "we'll see how things work out for the cubs I s'pose."

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Stop Look What's That Sound

Post by arkahm » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:26 am

"We be prolly safer up har right now dan he be in der." Marak answers, looking about the room again to make sure there are no other threats noticeable. "I hate fer dat room ta up an' collapse on him. We'd be loosin' our only way ta get locked doors open...har, har, har! Don't ye worry doe, Lassy. He be gud at wut he do. Ha! I make sure I be givin' him lot's o' practice!" On the mention of a possible secret room, Marak also looks down into the room to see if he can see any irregularities in the wall structure. Better make sure that Haffer ain't holdin' out on me.
Use Stonecunning on the room if I can see enough.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

A Duo's Discoveries

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Going to summarize things just to keep the game moving forwards and you guys actually inside of the Cairn sometime this century!
The next several moments are spent watching Marak and Kalen as they survey the collapsed firewall, both inside and out. Meanwhile, Arianna does her best to coddle a rather jealous Silas as Brother Jonus - despite his wounded pride and ankle - soon finds himself ogling over the three tiny badger cubs.

Eventually, Kalen finally emerges from the tunnel and joins his companions, carrying with him several handfuls of rather soiled and tattered parchments. "I got all that I could find that seemed to be worth a hoot," he exclaims cheerfully, his sweaty face now soiled and grimy with dirt, "Well at least for now anyways!" He then adds, rather tired, "I'll look them over in the morning."

After returning the magical torch to its rightful owner, Marak and Kalen quickly share their findings with the party and it soon becomes apparent that the two have reached a final decision about the hidden chamber. Though structurally sound, the room itself simply requires an awful lot of time and trouble to clear out and investigate; an endeavor, sadly, that is currently beyond the group's present capabilities. Somewhat saddened by their discover, the group soon retires upstairs to discuss their plans for the badger cubs. Whilst doing so, several of the party members begin to yawn and stretch as they realize that it is now very late at night!
All in all, clearing the room would take about 20-40 hrs total (given proper tools and manpower) before one could examine its contents properly.

Currently, it is about 3 am or after and Arianna has work in the morning! Throw in the fact that you still have a 2 hr walk back into town, and you might want to think about heading back right about now...

Will pause for now, but plan on adding more SOON. Feel free to backpost as needed and remember that there are two dead badgers still downstairs!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: A Duo's Discoveries

Post by Trogdor » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am

"Well, in any case," Kalen says, carefully moving some of the stones to hide the entrance to the hidden room, "the room seems worth some additional attention, as do these papers." He steps back to examine his handiwork. "I suggest that we gather the tools we need to clear out that room and proper supplies to stay out here a week or so and set up a kind of a forward outpost here. We can clean out that room and see if there's anything of value there. And then we can give some thought to the caves."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 pm

"A week!?" exclaims Brother Jonus rather alarmingly "Some of us only have a week left of leave!" He then adds, "Perhaps it would be best if we were to work on clearing out the rubble during our 'down-time'? You know, in between expeditions to the Cairn themselves. After all, we do still have competition out there trying to make a name for itself and we wouldn't want them to grow suspicious now, would we?"

The young priest then does his best to stifle a heavy yawn as the effects of the late hour finally takes it toll.

"Maybe we should retire for the evening," he comments as he rubs a playful finger across one of the tiny badgers' cheeks, "We can think clearer in the morning, and Arianna still needs time enough to sleep before reporting to Allustan tomorrow."
Running Brother Jonus on Auto-pilot until Illeveun gets back. Feel free to finish wrapping this up so we can start buying some gear for your expedition! Feel free to e-mail or PM me with any further details. Got to go to work now!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm

"I don't have any trouble with that," Kalen says. "And it depends what these papers say too. Let's get some rest and talk again in the morning."

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:48 am

"I be tendin' ta agree with da priest. He tends ta make sense sometimes. I also tink we need ta keep to da matter we started wit da Cairn." Marak says. "We should regroup an' clean out da room laters, me tinks. Get some supplies from town as well. Everyone go home get a good night sleep and meet back up here in da morn."

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:53 am

"Well I won't be here in the morning Marak, I shall be endeavoring to procure more funds for our adventure." Looking at the cubs Arianna's allows herself a small smile, "now about the cubs, I believe I know of a good home for them, unless there are any objections." Arianna looks around for any raised hands before finalizing her plans to herself. "In any event we should start heading back now."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 am

Realizing that a good night's sleep would most likely be in their best interest, the four young heroes promptly begin their return to town. It is nearly 3 am by the time that the group finally arrives back inside Diamond Lake and most of the previous night's affairs are all but finished being cleaned up. Tired, weary-eyed, and thoroughly exhausted, the heroes trudgingly retire to their respective chambers...
I shall assume that Arianna has taken the cubs home with her for the night, but by all means continue to discuss your plans for them! Her serving girl at Ellival's estate can attend to them whilst she is away tomorrow afternoon.

You spend the following morning doing the following:
Luckily, Allustan's request is a rather casual one and you actually manage to sneak a few extra winks in before having to head to his manor. Once having arrived at Allustan's estate you are cordially met by one of the wizard's servants who promptly leads you to their absent lord's drawing room. Once inside, the servant instructs you as to what all needs done, etc. and overall, the task itself proves to be a rather simple (if not boringly tedious) one.

You then spend the next several hours transcribing Allustan's footnotes into one cohesive passage; pausing on several occasions in order to scribe several arcane glyphs and runes that deal with topic of said paper (the feather fall spell). Once all is said and done, you summon the servant who then has you wait in the wizard's library until he returns. After reading through a book or two and even sneaking in a pleasant nap, you are eventually awakened by Allustan's presence who compliments you on a job well done. The gracious wizard then offers you ample payment for the job and after thanking you, informs you that you are welcome back anytime you so desire to pay him a visit.
Once back in the garrison, you tend to your wounded ankle and do the best that you can to make sure all is well before finally turning in for the night. When you awaken the next morning, you find that your efforts were not in vain and that your ankle is fit enough to stand upon without any discomfort whatsoever!

After a quick breakfast of porridge and biscuits, you make your way to the chapel and attend morning service. Once things quiet down there, you check in with your superiors and make sure that the time that you have requested off from duty has been approved. It has been!

Feeling relieved and somewhat nervous, you then hold a private sermon before Heironeous' altar and pray for the guidance and wisdom to make it through your upcoming expedition without further peril or injury. Having made sure that everything is in order, you then head out to find the others and plan your trip.
You go straight to bed once you get back at your Aunt's Place and spend the remainder of the night sleeping like a rock! When you eventually awaken the next day, you find your cousin Caldric at the breakfast table. The young halfling is apparently nursing a swollen black eye and split lip; the results of yet another of Kullen's attempts at claiming the money that he still owes him.

This alone, combined with the fact that you hear rumors later in the day that the three heroes - Auric, Khellek, and Tirra - have indeed headed out to explore the Stirgenest cairn, has fueled you with a rather strong sense of duty and necessity to start exploring the Whispering Cairn as soon as possible.

Once done eating, you help your Aunt load some supplies and then check in on Pa Curlyfoot at the Able Carter Coaching Inn. The shifty merchant has your current cut of the profits from selling off several items pilfered from the city of Greyhawk and gives them to you begrudgingly. Once done with this, you then pay Marak a visit and await the return of the others.
Morning comes quickly and you don't want to get out of bed! Sadly, you manage to drag yourself out of your bunk and make it to morning muster on time. Oddly enough, the old drunkard, Borik, is nowhere to be found. When questioned about the dwarf's absence, your fellow soldiers quickly inform you that he was found drunken and asleep during his previous shift and is currently awaiting reprimand from Captain Trask!

Whether or not the old fart has tried to incriminate you and Kalen, still remains to be seen. All you do know however, is that the good Captain (and of course Dietrik the Cartographer) was not at all pleased with Borik's behavior.

Nevertheless, you make it through morning muster alright and then retire back to the barracks where you wait to hear from your superiors about 'officially' starting your leave. Fortunately you don't have to wait long and all seems to be well enough in order. Having been officially dismissed from duty for the next week, you then promptly fall back into your rack and go to sleep. Once having rested some more, you then awaken and eat a quick lunch before heading out the try and find Kalen and the others. Still however, there is no word on Borik and his punishment.
The next morning, the sun rises way too early for the likings of any of the four young heroes. Reluctant to rise, they do so begrudgingly and eventually begin their day. The four heroes then spend the majority of their time bustling about town in a flurry of activity; each trying desperately to finish making their final preparations in order to begin the journey to the Whispering Cairn. By the end of the day, each of the heroes is tired and welcomes the chance to finally sit down to talk amongst one another quite eagerly.
Unsure whether or not I told all of you or not, so here is a friendly reminder...

I have given each player 4 free ranks in a Profession that best 'suits' them: Arianna's being that of a scribe; Brother Jonus' and Marak's role that of serving as soldiers in the Garrison; and Kalen's skills at fencing stolen loot providing him with the equivalent role of merchant.

This being said...

Each individual player will get to make an appropriate Profession check in order to represent how much money they have managed to "stash away" for their expedition to the Whispering Cairn. In case you wonder, simply assume that Arianna's contributions are from her time spent working for Allustan.

Though each of you have had roughly two-and-a-half weeks 'prior' knowledge to the affair, I am only allowing you one roll. Once again, merely assume that you have spent the previous time's wages on living essentials and/or recreational affairs.
[Arianna's Profession (scribe) check, d20 + 5 = 16, 8 gp]

[Brother Jonus's Profession (soldier) check, d20 + 8 = 28, 14 gp]

[Kalen's Profession (merchant) check, d20 + 6 = 16, 8 gp]

[Marak's Profession (soldier) check, d20 + 6 = 11, 5 gp]
Total Size of Stash = 35 gp
You now have the collective sum of 35 gp to start purchasing whatever auxiliary gear that you might deem necessary for your journey to the Whispering Cairn. By all means, begin to discuss your plans now and make sure that you spend it wisely!

P.S. This money is in addition to your personal coinage and has basically been lumped into one big 'common resource' pile/fund.
Waterday 12 of the Month of Readying, CY 595
Late Afternoon/Early Evening, Sometime Just Before Dusk
Gathered Together Once Again at the Rusty Bucket

Four heroes sit gathered around a table in one of the Rusty Bucket's more secluded of rooms. A small pile of gold coins rests upon the middle of the table as the heroes continue to chat amongst themselves. As they do so, a tired - though cheerful looking - halfling woman casually approaches them. A serving tray filled with several platters of hot and steaming food and tall frothy drinks rests in the haggard woman's hands and she seems to smile at one of the heroes more-so than the others as she approaches.

"Here ya go luv, just as ye ordered, nice and hot!"

Kalen lowers his head as he helps the woman begin passing out several of the trays. "Thank you Auntie Rilla," he replies somewhat embarrassed.

Their meals now placed before them, the heroes then continue to discuss their plans...
Feel free to summarize your shopping list and plans over the next couple of posts. All in all, you should be able to purchase most goods by the end of the day and then head out tomorrow, if you so desire.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Post by Trogdor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 pm

"We should start by getting some food to stash there," Kalen says, tucking in to his meal. "That'll keep us from having to come back here every day to eat. Other than that, we could probably use some torches and maybe some rope. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?"
BTW, did a cursory look at the papers we recovered reveal anything interesting?