Chapter One - The Vanderboren Vault

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A good look at the Vanderboren Vault

Post by Cattywumpus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 am

Knarra is overwhelmed by all of this. Feeling helpless, she goes to sit next to Lady Vanderboran and pats her hand in wordless symapthy.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 am

Okay, I think I might not have been totally clear in my description of what you found.

First you found that most of the money and valuables were gone from the vault. That's bad.

Then, you found that there was a little bit of gold and gems in the last alcove. That's good (but still not great, given how much Lavinia owes in inheritance taxes and other debts).

Finally, you found that her parents had amassed a huge pile of IOUs around the city. That's great. It means she's not broke.

Right now, Lavinia is very annoyed that someone stole something like 100,000 gold from her family. But she's also still rich. Once she collects on even a few of the IOUs from the ledgers, she'll be in the black again. And once she collects a few more, she'll be able to get her house finances back on track.
"Well," Lavinia says in a businesslike tone, "it's never pleasant to find out that someone has stolen a hundred thousand suns from you. But it seems my parents' habit of collecting promises of payment had another benefit - planned or unplanned. It kept all of our eggs from being in the same basket, or vault, as the case may be." She glances over at the four empty alcoves. "Whoever cleared those out missed the majority of my family's wealth." She taps the pile of books. "Most of it was in here, not in there." She gestures at the alcoves.

Then Lavinia picks up one of the ledgers and runs her finger down a page. "I know about a quarter of these people personally. And most of the rest are respected families or businesses. I should be able to collect ten thousand gold by the end of the week without any trouble. That'll pay you, the taxes I owe, and all the other incidental expenses I've incurred since my parent's death. It's really far better news than I expected when we saw these empty alcoves."

"Not that I'm complacent about the theft," she quickly adds. "Nor do I intend to let it lie. In fact, now that I know I can afford to keep you all on the payroll, I'd like the group of you to investigate the theft."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm

Berek's twisted little mouth turns into a hideous little smile revealing his none to appetizing yellow brown teeth "I like the sound of that Lady Vanderboren. And I think we should start right here. Surely that poor person up front can recall when the last time some one visited the vault it's just that you will be more likely receive an answer so after you!"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:34 pm

Daerith actually agrees withe Berek's last statement, he's calmed by both Shumb and Lavina, and his hand leaves the hilt of his blade. "You keep that axe of yours swinging at our mutual enemies Berek and you and I won't have any other troubles, payment due or not." He is a hot head, and perhaps over reacted, but no so more than the dwarf in threatening to call the law in on Lady Vanderboren.

"Its easy enough to ask the guards and check the sign in register who's been here, if they were legally allowed. If it was your parents before they sailed off and had their accident, then we'll know. If it was Vanthus somehow, or someone else, perhaps the man that makes the rings themselves, then we'll know." He is pleased that she's in good enough shape, and seeing that she'll be keeping them on the payroll bring a smile to the elf's face (and his coin pouch).

With a hand on the sylvan tomb he flips through it, looking at the maps and scrolls. "Now this is interesting, I don't recoginze this coastline, but I'm no sailor, nor an explorer. What do you make of them Shumba, and Lucky John..." he pauses to look at the pale faced man, "...are you alright? You don't look that good, that viper really did a number on you." He forgets where he was for the moment. "Maybe we should get John to a healer than than deal with poison, speak to the guards on the way out, and get this coin where ever you want it Lavina." He tucks the book, with his maps and scrolls tucked in the last pages, under his arm without thinking about it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Shumba stares as the maps and does his best to try and recollect any sort of helpful information that he can when Daerith asks him to. "I'm notta sailor mon, but I sure as all hell have traveled up and down these here coasts enough though. Lemme take a look!"
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 pm

"A quick glance through the papers shows many plants and animals that Shumba is familiar with, and some he's never seen before. It also shows a few maps of jungle coastlines of the sort that the ranger has seen before. But none in particular looks familiar. Of course that's not surprising. There might be a thousand miles of tropical coastline within six months' journey from Sasserine. And hundreds of tropical islands within the same distance. No one could know all of them.

John also glances at the notes. But without a proper map - and there seems no such thing enclosed - it's impossible to tell where Lavinia's parents were exploring. Perhaps a closer review of the notes will reveal more.
Nothing specific is evident from the notes. A review of them will proceed at the speed of plot, likely providing more information in time.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 pm

"So all ye adventurer's leave that for later. We have a theft to solve, one many a Thief would be proud of so let's figure this out shal we? After you Lady Vanderboren I say." clearly Berek is again his grumpy and impatient old self and eager to chase after lost treasure.
Big Pimpin...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 am

John perks up slightly, "Perhaps a healer wouldn't be such a bad thing". He moves out of the chamber with the others, nursing his tender arm. As they leave the bard leans into Berek, "Let us talk to some of our mutual friends about this matter of missing funds". His voice is almost silent as he finishes with a wink...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:42 am

Lavinia nods. "Let's clear the vault out. Clearly someone else can get in here. No sense leaving anything of value." So you all gather everything of value from the vault. Shumba and Berek carry a chest full of coins between them; John and Knarra do the same for the chest of books; Daerith holds the coffer of notes; and Lavinia carries the coffer of gems. You quickly make your way out of the vault, closing the door behind you, and head up the stairs.

You're greeted again by the clerk, who comes quickly out of his alcove. "Is there anything more I can help you with, Lady Vanderboren?" he asks in a polite tone.

"Yes," she replies, keeping Berek and Daerith's suggestions in mind. "Can you tell me if anyone else has visited my family's vault recently?"

"Indeed I can," the man replies without checking any notes. "We don't get that many visits here. And your brother was here several times in the past month. Terrible tragedy about your parents," he says with genuine sympathy. "And so much family business left for the two of you to deal with on your own. You have my deepest sympathies." Then he adds, "but aside from you two, there's been no one. Not that it would matter if there were. No one can get in the vault who isn't of your blood and doesn't have one of your signet rings. These vaults are as secure as you can get, I assure you." He says the last with real pride in his voice.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:32 pm

"Gotta love sibling"s Berek chuckels with a toothy grin. Seeing that Lavina is none too happy about the news he adds. "Lighten up Lady Vanderboren. At least he's still alive and we know who we's after!"
Big Pimpin...