Chapter One - The Vanderboren Vault

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: A good look at the Vanderboren Vault

Post by MadVlat » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Knowing that Berek is correct, John simply allows a grin and takes confidence that their quarry will be much easier to find now. Then he switches arms, as walking with the dwarf is a bit akward with his wound and the hieght difference between the two...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Daerith, with the coffer in hand, listens to the man's report upstairs. "Well thank you sir, that's helped greatly. Might you know when the last time Vanthus was here?" He knows Lavina is going to be upset, but the more important question remains how did Vanthus get one of the family rings.

Daerith awaits his answer, and then will move along with the others.
Edited for my misunderstanding.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Just to make sure the story is straight, Lavinia's mother lost her ring a week or two before the fire that killed her. She had ordered another one made before she died, and that's the ring that's due to come in to Lavinia in a couple of weeks. So there's no real tie between the loss of the ring and the ship fire.

"Ah, yes," Lavinia says in reply to the clerk's comment, offering no more. The vault was empty now, so there was no danger of additional loss. And so Lavinia sees no sense airing the family's dirty laundry. "Thank you."

Then, in reply to Daerith's question, the clerk adds, "It was just four days ago, sir."
If no one else has anything to add here, I'll make a final post and close up this part of Chapter 1.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 am

Daerith glances at Lavina, and then back at the clerk with a nods. "Thank you." He moves along helping Lavina where he can, and lugging his own load out with the others.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 am

Carrying all of the all remaining weath from the Vanderboren vaults, the group of you leave Castle Teraknian and take a familiar boat ride to the High Market, where the carriage that brought you there awaits. The chests and coffers are piled inside, with you squeezed in as well.

As you head back to the security of the Vanderboren Estate, Lavinia finally speaks up. "Well, it looks like my brother Vanthus cleared out the vault," she says in a sad tone. "And whatever else he's up to, it's probably not good." She sighs. "So we know who the thief was. Now we need to figure out where he is. And that's what your next task will be."

The carriage rolls across the cobblestones of the city, and you all wonder where this investigation will take you.
I'll update xp on the Google sheets. But you all made it to 2nd level. Catty and MV, please get me your sheets ASAP.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:26 am

With hard cash in his pocket Berek gets right back to buisness "Good if you have a moment we will start our investigation right here Lady Vanderboren. I need to know a number of things from ye. First when was the last time you saw your brother. Second where did your brother last reside and thirdly who were his best friends?"
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 am

"I'll give you what details I can when we get back to the estate," Lavinia replies. "But first, I think we'll need to get a healer to tend to your injuries. If Vanthus has been in hiding for a month now, then an extra day won't make that much of a difference."
The search for Vanthus will be the focus of the next part of this chapter. So we'll hold off on that until I start a new thread.