Chapter One - In Search of Vanthus

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Pirate Treasure!

Post by mackaber » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Berek covered in the muck and goo of what once was Penkus laughs "Disrespectale..." with that he rushes into the water where he first looses his lunch and then washes of the gore of of himself "Back to the ocean fer you stinkin crabs2 he laughs clearly nothing can impress Berek at least one would think so but when he returns to shore and Knarra talks about her appearance Berek is rather dumbfounded. "If between the threat of drowning or starving all your worried about is lookin respectable sister then I admire yer confidence." with that he truns to Daerith "Say mister magic man will that earth elemental be willing and able to burrow a tunnel for all us and the chests to lady Vanderboren's Estate? That's what I'd call service ye know!"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:16 pm

There are no scrolls here, just potions.

And wands and scrolls are totally not for sale, we have a Wizard and a Cleric so all magical stuff like that should be dished out to those that can use them, Arcane or Divine.

The wand for example is SO Daerith's, I've laid claim to it on the google sheet, people should be using that sheet Trogdor sent us to claim things inplace of a Loot Thread, it will make things simpler.

I say if Berek can sell things for more gold all the better, but some stuff we may want to keep, Masterwork stuff is decent at this level, someone must be able to use the armor or the dagger in place of normal gear.
Daerith shakes his head, "I will not be able to control it for very long. I am not an arch mage yet." He holds a hand to his chin thinking a moment, "We will want to wait until the last moment before summoning the elemental, I can only keep it for less than half a minute I believe. That should be just barely long enough to get it up the ladder and through the boulders we presume are loaded atop the trap door. But we should deal with the chests and the tide now." Daerith helps Berek put Penkus' cleaned up armor in one of the chests along with the dagger, and the ring Daerith took off the body. "Let's just try this the old fashioned way, lots of muscle. Knarra and John, you two start back to the main chamber, Berek, Shumba and I can haul a chest out one at a time and hopefully do this before the tide comes in. Daerith will then start hauling the chests to the water's edge.
I figure Take Ten on Knoweldge: Arcana = 20, or Spellcraft = 20 nets me basic infor about the gem/summoning. If I'm wrong please correct me Trog.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

"There's an old Dwarven sayin, translated it goes sometin like brawn and brain goes hand in hand..." with that he ties a rope to one of the sea chests and hands it's end to Knarra. "Once you an John made it through pull this taught and keep pulling, that ell make our job o luggin these chests that much easier...
Was just suggesting we sell stuff we don't need and as I'm not a big fan of expendables I'd prefer we invest the cash into more permanently useful stuff or for example sell all those potions and buy a wand of CLW, which nets us way more healing, instead. That dagger for example is worth 300 GP which would almost pay for a wand and none of us really use daggers anyway...
Big Pimpin...

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 am

"Well," says Knarra, "I know Berronar would ne'er let me perish so when I am doin' her work. Ya see......All this Berek? Might I ask that a small tithe be donated to the Church for to keep Orphans and Needy in these hard times when we get back?
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 pm

At the mention of the thought that his own hard earned gold should be given to those too lazy to do the work Berek's face cringes then he thinks back to his childhood days when a poor little Dwarf cub was brought up in a temple and manages a smile "Surely sister! That would only be right after all Berronar cares for all of us..."
I'll go and mark off 20 GP for Berronar.
Leveled up Berek he is now Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Barbarian 1. I know the savage aspect of Barbarian does not really fit with the hardy city dweller but going Berserk fits well with Berek's temper and a two level dip into Barbarian just has soo much to offer
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:46 pm

A result of 20 on a K(arcane) check is enough to know the basics of the gem, like duration, power, etc. So you're okay with that. You would also know that the elemental can burrow through the earth. And while it doesn't say anything about it, I'm going to say that it could bring the chests of coins and gems with it, since metal and gems are earth too, and they're well within the creature's weight limit, it can hold them as it burrows. I'd say no on the potions and such. But they're small. Alas, it leaves no tunnel behind.

And the summoning should last almost a full minute (9 rounds). It's a 5th level spell, which has a minimum caster level of 9. It's also got an Int of 6, so it can understand basic commands (like, "go to the surface, remove the boulders from on top of the trap door, and open the trap door"). But really, given that this is more of a dramatically appropriate thing, I'm going to say that if you're willing to use up the gem, it can carry the bulk of hte wealth to the surface and open the trap door. I'm not going to sweat the details. Feel free to narrate how you want to have it accomplish that. As for getting yourself and the potions out, you'll have to do that the hard way. ;-)

Also, keep in mind that there isn't a Wands-R-Us store around, nor is there a shop with shelves of different magic items for sale. The items you find have one huge advantage - you have them in hand. You might end up selling all your magic and find that what you want to buy isn't avaialable. I kind of like forcing you to play the hand you've been dealt, rather than letting you custom craft a deck.

So don't expect magic warehouses. Sometimes you'll be able to sell and buy pretty freely. To be fair, Sasserine is better than a lot of places you could be. And you are looking at pretty low leves stuff right now. But remember, it's no Greyhawk. Nor is this Eberron, where magical craftsmen are a dime a dozen. It won't be a wasteland. But you won't always have the option to freely buy and sell.

In a strange way, that actually supports what mack suggests. If there's stuff you want to buty, you have a better chance finding it here than most anywhere else you're likely to be.

And I'll add, as someone who uses them a lot, potions and scrolls can be great to fill in the cracks. Yea, for healing it's more efficient to have a wand. But what about when Knarra is the one who's down? Or if she's on the other side of the battle? Also, what about spells that you might need once in a while? No ones going to spring 750 for a wand of Comprehend Languages. But having a scroll or two for 25 or 50 gold is another matter.

And true, you could sell two scrolls of Comprehend Language to get a Scroll of Enlarge Person. But if you ever need a scroll of Comprehend Language, you've lost money.

Take a look at how my characters in Age of Ice: Children of Kylorin (Saeldur) and Eberron (Val'trith) work. Both use scrolls to great effect.
The group moves the chests to the water's edge and starts to try and figure out how to get them to the entrance shaft. Berek is optimistic that they might be able to drag them through the water, but John is less certain. Most of you are only passable swimmers. And those that can swim are needed to help those who can't. Also, from what you can see, the bottom of the caverns is far from smooth. There's a strong chance that one of the chests would catch on something like an anchor. And then you're stuck with it ten or fifteen feet below the waterline. The potions and the wand are easy enough. Those can go in yoru pockets. But two chests full of coin and gems are going to be damn rough to get past the sea caverns - especially with the tide coming in, a fact you are all too aware of.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Daerith stops at the water line, "Do you all trust me?" He doesn't really wait for everyone to agree, once anyone does he reaches into the chest and plucks out a few items. "These things we need to carry ourselves, and frankly that wand does none of you any good, so let me lighten the load here." He takes the Wand of Mage Armor, and one of the lesser curative potions and pockets them both. "Split the magical items up evenly or however we want, but the coins and gems I have a plan for." He plucks the Earth Elemental Gem from the chest. "I'm going to summon the Elemental, I think after further study I can keep this thing around about a minute and a half, give or take. When it arrives I'm sending it with the two chests of wealth to the surface, then to the trap door where it can remove the boulders from our path out. The rest of us need to get there on our own, and this magical items we'll need to move ourselves as well."

Daerith waits for the group to loot the potions and such, and then calls on the power of the gem, "Terra elementum accerso potentia!" He channels his arcane wit and power into the gem to call forth the creature trapped within crushing the gem in the process. "I am your master Elemental, and I bid you aid me and my allies. We are trapped in this place, take these two chests of earthen materials to the surface of this isle, and travel to the exit that is covered in rocks and boulder. Clear that debris and open the door to allow our escape." He then gives the Elemental directions to the exit.

Once the elemental is on his way Daerith plunges into the water heading for the exit...
I agree with Trogdor on most accounts, while Daerith does have UMD so he might beable to use scrolls and wands of healing if Knarra is out of it, I don't think at this level we should sell any of the potions or items. Consumables heals and whatnot are king at this level for us. And the sale and rebuy is going to cost us.

I'm good with a sale of the masterwork stuff if no one is using them to get a wand of CLW, but with Knarra's Channel Energy, etc, it might not be worth it in the long run. We should take this talk to a OOC thread.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Escape!

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Sorry for the posting delay. Prep and recovery from a hasty trip to NJ for my grandmother's funeral got in the way. I should be back on an even keel now. I'll push things forward a bit to make up for it.
As the gem shatters and the dust settles to the ground, there is a rippling in the stones in front of Daerith, A few seconds later, a large man-shaped form made of rock, about twice the size of the warrior mage and almost as wide, rises from the ground as if exiting a lake. It says nothing, but looks expectantly at Daerith, bending low to fit in the small passage. The elf replies with some hasty orders and in response the earth elemental simply nods. Then, it turns, picks up the two chests full of coin and gems, and melts into the wall, leaving no trace that it had ever been there.

For several moments you all stand there looking at where the chests once were, wondering if it all really happened. Then you start to feel just the hint of worry that maybe it didn't work, and all that Daerith managed to do was lose you the use of the elemental and the pirate treasure. But just as Berek's suspicious nature is about to get the better of him and cause him to say something indelicate, you all hear a crash echoing through the tunnels of this hidden retreat. It's distant, but it's about what you'd expect to hear if the doorway our of here were torn off its hinges and something was tossed down the entry passage. The way should be free. All you need do is get there. Of course, then Berek does observe that until you get out, the chests are probably standing up there for anyone to loot.

With this in mind, and the tide rising, you all begin to make your way back through the water-filled caverns. The return trip is as eventful as the trip out. Daerith and Knarra have trouble with the rising surf, though the elf is quickly picking up the skills of swimming, necessity proving to be an apt teacher. Thankfully, no one is ever in real danger of drowning. It's the poisonous sea urchins, however, that prove to be the greater danger. While passing through the middle part of the caves, Daerith scrapes his arm along a patch. And while within sight of the door out, John actually slips and falls on a large cluster of sea urchins, sticking himself several times in the arms and chest. Both man and elf feel ill for a bit, John more so than Daerith. But thankfully they both have strong constitutions and are able o fight off the worst of the poison.

And so it is that about twenty minutes after you leave the treasure chamber, you arrive wet and tired back in the main part of the smuggler's hideout. A short jog brings you to the entrance again where, to your delight, you see sunlight once more streaming down in a narrow shaft. A few rocks and one large, rounded boulder that were not there before, lie directly under the opening thirty feet above. Far above, you can see a broken hinge sticking out where the trap door was once attached.

At last, you are prisoners no more.
I just did a series of rolls to see how people did with respect to swimming and avoiding the sea urchins. Daerith was the big loser, rolling poorly on both checks, though John had the worst roll of all with the sea urchins. You were fortunate with the swim checks, though, since as a reward for getting sheets done quickly, I let people use their second level skills (which sometimes involved buying skill in swimming).

I'm not tracking damage, however, since this is the end of the chapter.

Also, feel free to backpost any comments or actions that took place during the passage through the sea caves.

Also, with the rope in place, you can all get out with a successful take ten on Climb. Feel free to post accordingly.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Escape!

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Woot!
Daerith stands there looking not at all worried (even though he is slightly) when the Elemental vanishes with all the loot. After the noise of the door being ripped off the hinges he hurries into the water. Moving too fast and not causious enough because of the exposed treasure the Elven Warrior Mage slips and stumbles, scrapping against the urchins and looking the fool. Next time he'll have to be more careful, but rushed as he is, he can't complain -- he did make it after all. At the bottom of the rope, looking around the broken rocks and boulders makes him smile. "See, Elemental Gem, I knew what I was doing." He then climbs the rope post haste and scales to the top of the tunnel getting some well wanted fresh air.

He double checks the chests are still there, and that Vanthus isn't. "He presumes we are dead, we should let him think that for now. It may give us an edge." Sitting on the chest to shake off the effects of the urchin poison Daerith waits for the others to arrive, lending a hand to Unlucky John. "We should get back to Lavinia as quietly and as secretively as we can."
My plan, not sure what the others think about it is.

Return to shore, drop off the boat, get our money back, ask the guy to not mention us. Then slip back to the Vanderboren estate as quietly as possible to not alert Vanthus to our survival (espcially since we are weakened at this stage).

Also anyone else check the loot stuff?

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Escape!

Post by mackaber » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Berek relieved ever since he picked up his beautiful beer mug adorned shield again seems very content now that they have managed to escape... "Well me thinks we should look an see if er boat is still there... could imagine the scumbag stole it... why dontche stay here quick and guard the treasure while me an Shimba see if the boat's still there?"
Agree with your plan V
Big Pimpin...