Chapter Two - The Wormfall Festival

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Chapter Two - The Wormfall Festival

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Piloting their new ship, the Sea Wyvern into Sasserine, six adventurers, four in the employ of Lavinia Vanderboren, and two newly rescued from the pirates of the Crimson Fleet, return to port after a harrowing experience in the smugglers' den at Kraken's Cove. There the scoundrel Vanthus Vanderboren, in an attempt to steal a valuable, and apparently magical, black pearl had set off a disaster that turned most of the people present in Kraken's Cove into twisted, mutated creatures that thought of little more than feeding on whatever they could find. Vanthus escaped unharmed, but not before gaining the enmity of Captain Harliss Javell, pirate of the Crimson Fleet.

The six adventurers helped save Captain Javell from the mutated pirates, only to learn that in revenge for what Vanthus had done, the Crimson Pirate had sent her first mate, Drevoraz, to attack the Vanderboren Estate in Sasserine, incorrectly believing that Vanthus would be troubled by the death of his family. Disabused of this notion at last, and partially charmed by the group, Captain Javell has given them a message to Drevoraz, along with one of her earrings to authenticate it. The message instructs the half-orc first mate to hold off on the attack. It may not work on the bullywugs he's recruited to help him. But it's all Javell can do.

Now, the Sea Wyvern drifts on the morning breeze into Sasserine Harbor, and the would-be saviors of Lavinia Vanderboren find that getting to the Vanderboren Estate will not be as easy as expected. The Wormfall Festival, only in its preparatory stages when they left, if now in full swing. Celebrating the fall of the Wormgod a year ago, this festival has been called to honor the heroes of that day and to rejoice at the victory of good over evil. Wormfall, as the holiday has been dubbed by city officials, is to be an annual event, a gigantic affair involving troubles of trained acrobats, marching bands, garish costumes honoring the heroes of Alhaster and Cauldron (as well as effigies of their undead and wormy enemies), and floats constructed in the image of enormous green worms and shrouded skulls. Kites of green worms borne on sticks and strings dance in the air above the rooftops. Green lanterns hang above the streets, ready to bathe the city in an echo of warm sunlight at the exact moment the worms fell and the heroes of Alhaster struck down the foul god.

Not a hundred feet into the harbor, the Sea Wyvern is sent to the nearest dock, cleared out for late arrivals. There is some comment about the fact that you're apparently sailing a pirate ship into harbor. But with the festival atmosphere, the harbor patrol seems to think it's just a decoration. They're firm, however, that this is as far as the heroes can go in their ship. The harbor, it seems, is as busy as the streets. And for the moment, even boat traffic is forbidden as some magical display is prepared for over the harbor, and boats containing many of the nobles of the city are arrayed through out the center harbor. The guards tell the group that they'll have a front-row seat for the display, and that in a few hours, the harbor will be open to boat traffic again.

However, Lavinia will not wait, and so a passage through the streets of Sasserine is required. The route is clogged with entertainers, locals, and visitors, making for slow going. But at least forward progress is possible. And if Lavinia is to be saved, the group can't wait until the harbor opens. The matter is made all the more frustrating by the fact that five to the six adventurers suffer from a disease that is bit-by-bit turning them as savage as the deformed pirates they faced in Kraken's Cove. Time is their enemy as well as Lavinia's. But for the moment, Lady Vanderboren's need is greater than their own, and they press forward into the milling crowds ahead.
You'll have to take a route comparable to the one in orange. You don't have to take exactly that route (in fact, I realize I made it a bit longer than it has to be), but it shows a general direction you'll have to go.
I still need to get some details from Max about spells and healing/restoration. But let's move forward and we can backfill on that issue.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter Two - The Wormfall Festival

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Daerith, on deck and lending a hand as the Sea Wyvern arrives in the harbor has words with the harbor guards, "...but we are in the service of Lavina Vanderboren!" He proudly shows his Spire of Sasserine pin that is on his cloak, "We must get to her at once. Can we not take a dingy across the harbor? We'll be long gone by the time your show is ready to go on?" He snarls as he continues to recieve rebuffs as he attempts to speed the group along. "Fine! We'll leave our ship here, but when we get back it better not be damaged. I need to speak to the Harbormaster at some point, but don't mistake the decorations for a pirate ship." He throws his hands up in frustration at the guards, who are only doing their job, but still he wouldn't mind cracking their heads open and getting look at their brainz. Realizing the mutation is taking hold he draws back, and let's Chanur or the others try and handle things a bit more. With Torothalion on his hip, his newly aquired black studded leather armor glittering in the sun, the elven magus is prepaired to fight his way through the crowds to get to Lavina in more ways than one.
I realize that trying to get through the harbor is a moot point, but gotta try a little.

Also I'm fine with the route Trog has mapped out, that way we all know exactly where we are going, and the 'longer route' if it doesn't actually hurt us any, can just be because of festival events, and the like.

Is there a Player's Guide for the Wormfall festival? And it must be based on the Age of Worms AP? Cool! Too bad Eanwulf never fnished that. Someone should run that, like Trogdor ;)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Berek's temper has grown thinner and thinner during their travels and their arrival in Sasserine puts it on a tremendous test. After he notices that his curses and threats of violence won't be getting them anywhere with the harbor guard he relents and puts his somewhat numb mind to other possibilities. Having a merelf or something similar with them one of these plans is rather obvious. "Wavedancer how long will it take you to clear the distance?" Berek enquires of the half-amphibious creature" while debating if there is any possibility to accelerate their travel by taking the city's sewage.
Knowledge Local should help me out in seeing if there should be a shorter path through the city sewers. Also with Berek now being an Urban Ranger and having chosen Sasserine as favored community he might know something. And yeah might Wavedancer be able to dive through the bay?
Last edited by mackaber on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Chanur is relieved as he see's Sasserine in the distance, but it quickly turns to a simmering anger at the traffic and delays. He is obviously becoming more like the pirates as time goes on, though not nearly as bad as Daerith yet.

"If we don't get there in time, There is going to be so much blood to spill!!!" Chanur finishes with a snarl.

I take it our boat doesn't have a dingy? How did the pirates get to shore, or is there a place for one, its just gone? I swim twice as fast as normal for what ever that means. Perhaps we could skip across one of the shorter distances on the map.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I think mackaber means to say Wavedancer, Tet's guy is the merfolk/sea elf.
Daerith, working his way to go over the boat to the ground hadn't considered the options of swimming it. "We should swim to Parrot Island, and from there across the rest of the way, that might shave some time off the trip." He tries to do a little math in his head on the time it might take to make the trip on foot, or through the harbor using Parrot Island as a staging point. "Then again, last time we tried to get on an off that cursed isle we really needed the boat."
Knowledge Local: What's fastest/best. If we make a swim for it are we going to get arrested by the harbor guards, etc?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm

"Well Wavedancer shouldn't have a problem with that distance. We could send him as an emissary to warn Lady Vanderboren or get her out of trouble will we hunt down this dispicable pirate!"
Your right V edited accordingly above
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes, you have a dingy. You have two small boats. But the harbor watch won't let you take them on the harbor right now. They've blocked off the harbor for a special magical display this morning. Please see the map I made. It's marked there.

Alas, no player guide that I know of.
Daerith argues with the harbor watch for a while, insisting that their business is important. But the two guards assigned to check them out are deaf to such entreaties. No doubt they've been listening to excuses and explanations for the last day or so and have no more patience.

Berek considers alternate options. Traveling beneath the surface is one possibility - for Wavedancer at least. The half sea-elf thinks he could make it across to the Merchant's District in a fraction of a glass. It's only a thousand feet or so - a bit more counting the need to dive first. Hardly a challenge at all.

Berek's thoughts of the sewers are less promising. Unlike some sewers he's heard of that have large, commodious passages, Sasserine's are small, fit for a halfling or a gnome to pass through easily, but less so for dwarves, men, and elves. What's more, with the dramatically increased number of people in town for the festival, they're likely to be chock full of filth. And drowning in waste is not the way anyone wants to go.
Swimming should be 2-3 minutes for Wavedancer, assuming nothing delays him, all underwater to avoid detection.

The sewers are not really an option. They're too small for easy passage and likely full up right now. It'd be dangerous and no quicker - possibly slower.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:03 am

"Swimming is a good plan. I think he should go ahead while we try to hurry there."
Sorry Trog, I took closed to traffic to mean larger vessels not dingy's. How much faster does Wavedancer swim than me, with the Water Rat trait?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:23 am

Fin and Chanur both have the Water Rat feat, allowing them to swim 30 feet as a full action. With a 30 Swim speed, Wavedancer can move twice that. The rest of you can move 15 as a full action.

The real problem for Chanur and Fin is not the swimming part; it's the fact that it all has to be well underwater to avoid the nobles' boats and the harbor patrol. Wavedancer can breath underwater. Chanur and Fin can't.
Chanur looks across the harbor judging just how quickly he could cross it. Half a glass, easy, is his guess. But the boats are thick between the Sea Wyvern and the Merchant's District. The whole trip would have to be done underwater. And going that whole way without a breath might be a different matter.
BTW, a glass is 15 minutes.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Chanur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 am

"I think with all the traffic Wavedancer is the only one that could really do it. I cannot hold my breath that long."