Chapter Three - A Modest Proposal

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: More Passengers

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am

LOL! Are you kidding me! The Kobold cook! I didn't see that coming!
Daerith listens intently to Lavina's speach, and chimes in at the end. "I promised Zebula we wouldn't do anything unjust to Avner, but if he tries anything... with you, all bets are off." He makes a double slice motion with his hands as if washing them of any responsibility if the cur attempts anything unsundrey with or about Lavina.

When the cook comes on board he let's out a long laugh, "Churtle? Whooo. No one told me we were having a kobold cook on board!" He seems in rather high spirits about that, and the tension that was forming about Avern and Lavina leaves him when he sees the kobold. "Welcome aboard Churtle." He pats the cook on the shoulder, "Looking forward to see what you can whip up fo us."

** Later **

Daerith has only one thing left he wants to do, and so before the ships get ready to depart he says his quick good byes and hurries off to do it. He makes a quick pit stop at a local confectioner's shop to pick up something tasty, a hard candy or the like, to suppliment the kobold's cooking, and then heads home. Not to the Vanderboren estate, but his actual childhood home where his father and mother live.

Daerith finds himself standing on the mat, rope in hand, he pulls it and rings the bell...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:06 am

"Oh me garsh" Berek mumbles as Churtle arrives. Surely she's a good cook but she is also a formidable poison cook. He begins to formulate a plan how Churtle could do in Avner or at least make him very see sick.
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:14 am

Chanur nods relieved that Lavinia was so understanding about Avner.

"Churtle! Welcome aboard, and thank you for sailing with us. Everyone the ships cook Churtle. If you need anything just get with Amella, she will make sure you have what you need.

I reviewed many applicants for the cooks position here, and Churtle seemed to be the most qualified and eager. Plus she is the only one that would come." Chanur grins at his companions.

Chanur waits to have a word with Amella, remembering the odd look she gave him, wanting to make sure there was not going to be an issue. Then heads into town to enjoy his last evening on shore in the tradition of many a sailor, by getting drunk, singing a little tune as he goes.

" Farewell and adieu to you, Sasserine Ladies,
Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Sasserine;
For we've received orders for to sail for Isle of Dread,
But we hope in a short time to see you again... "

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 am

** Daerith **

A few moments after he rings the bell, an elderly half-elf servant answers. It's Parker, one of the family that has served Amlyns for centuries. But he looks much older than Daerith remembered. Had it really been that long since he'd been home last?

Parker hesitates for a moment when he sees Daerith, as if about to ask him what he needs. Then recognition shows on his face. "Master Daerith," he says. "It's a pleasure to see you after so long. And if I may be so bold, well done with that rotten thieves guild." Then he straightens up and adds, "Please come in. Your parents are in the drawing room taking tea." He gestures into the house. There's no need for him to usher Daerith through the house the elf grew up in.

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:48 am

"Churtle!, It is so good to see you again!", Sindu smiles on seeing the Kobold. "This is something I did not expect. This will make things all the better to raise the spirits. I do hope you have brought some good foods for our trip." After the warm welcoming of their old friend, and after they have left for the kitchen, Sindu turns back to lady Vanderboren. "I do hope having a Kobold onboard will not alarm the passengers. Although we know Churtle is of no harm, the others may see her as a threat due to her races reputation."

After conversations on what they are doing to get underway, Sindu makes a final stop at the Temple of Wee Jas. He wishes everyone well, knowing they will not return for quite some time, and assures the priests that their following will be expanded in the New Frontier. Before leaving, he says a prayer to Wee Jas for a safe journey, and returns to the ship. On his return, he prepares to get a good rest for the long journey ahead.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Daerith smiles at the old elf, "Thank you Parker. Yes, those Lotus Dragons had it coming. I'm glad I was able to do some good." He steps into the house and then lowers his voice, "How is mother?" He is obviuosly nervous, and tense, he knows he must do this, but he doesn't really want to.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

"Both your mother and father do well," Parker says, answering both the question he asked and the one he didn't. "Their lives change little, day-to-day. She has her social clubs and her charities; he has his work." The family servant pauses as if considering whether to speak further. Then a hint of the boy and young man that Daerith remembers better comes forth. "Your mother made a fuss about how proud she was of you for receiving the Spire of Sasserine to the ladies at the last tea she hosted."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 am

Daerith looks down at the floor, "I should have come to see her sooner. I... I have been busy. I'm leaving Sasserine, if you haven't heard. Heading to Farshore with Lavina Vanderboren and the Sea Wyverns." He reaches out and pats the man's shoulder, "I hope you'll take care of them while I'm away. Now, no more delays. I know the way. Good-bye Parker." He waits for the elf's own reply and then heads off to the parlor to find his parents.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 am

"Goodbye, sir," Parker says. "And good luck." And as Daerith heads in to see his parents, the family servant adds, "do take care of yourself."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 pm

"I will try Parker."

Daerith then wanders through the house, but before heading to see his parents he pauses, looks up stairs, and then head up to his old room. He hurridly gathers from of his personal effects that he left behind when his father kicked him out. Several changes of clothing, a rain poncho, a small mirror and a hairbrush, and a few childhood mementos to make the long sea voyage a bit easier to bare. With all that stuffed into a bag (or a pillow case) he hurries back down the stairs and drops that by the door to grab on the way out of the house. Now he heads to see his father and his mother striding boldly into the parlor, "Hello Mother, hello Father."